O'Connor's status?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV:54-40
Starter

Why would they disturb a solid O-Line unit that has been playing well together all-season?

Bizarre-o; especially with other options that seem much brighter.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't know that there are any brighter options. Whichever way they approach it they are disrupting a position group that has largely been playing well. Every other option has its warts too. I'd think if they start Peirson (which scares the bejeezus out of me) Norman will be the backup. That does leave them with multiple double-switch options they could do to rotate Norman in for a significant portion of reps. They could pull Peirson and Butler and put in Norman and Mackie or pull Peirson and Hatcher and put in Norman and Scarfone.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I think the odd man out is Hatcher; man in is Williams, the new kick returner; Scarfone becomes the 5th starting receiver and rotates with Mackie in certain situations.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 4:59 pm
I think the odd man out is Hatcher; man in is Williams, the new kick returner; Scarfone becomes the 5th starting receiver and rotates with Mackie in certain situations.
I hope not. I kinda like Hatcher.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I don’t like to see the Lions weaken the offence to accommodate a new quarterback. Keep the O-line, receivers and backfield intact to give Pipkin and Adams the best chance of success. Use national depth on the D-line and at linebacker to change the defensive ratio.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions could play Lokombo at Safety, where he played some with the Als. Then leave Hladik at MLB, Williams at Wil LB and Purifoy at Sam LB. Mauger at Lee's DB spot. I don't like the idea of making changes to the Oline.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:13 pm
I don’t like to see the Lions weaken the offence to accommodate a new quarterback. Keep the O-line, receivers and backfield intact to give Pipkin and Adams the best chance of success. Use national depth on the D-line and at linebacker to change the defensive ratio.
Agreed BC FAN. The offence is already SIGNIFICANTLY weaker without Rourke so let’s remove another starter for ratio purposes?
They definitely have more proven national depth on defence. Maybe get 2021 1st rd pick DE Daniel Joseph signed after he was released by Buffalo.
OV:54-40
Starter

SammyGreene wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 7:45 am
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:13 pm
Agreed BC FAN. The offence is already SIGNIFICANTLY weaker without Rourke so let’s remove another starter for ratio purposes?
They definitely have more proven national depth on defence. Maybe get 2021 1st rd pick DE Daniel Joseph signed after he was released by Buffalo.

Joseph might be an interesting addition, but they already have this year's draft pick DEs Pickett & Archibald; Cherry has been impressive/ strong in his playing time at DT IMO; and with Betts & Menard there as well there should be zero issue having 2 Canadian D-linemen on the field at all times, and IMO might be an upgrade.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have released rookie QB Kevin Thomson, which suggests they’re confident that O’Connor will be available to at least back up Pipkin and Adams.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I'm curious how you fellows that saw Thomson in action at TC feel about him being released? I got the feeling the Lions were fairly high on him. I guess his potential was outweighed by the experience that Pipkin brings as potential backup (for the time being at least) to Adams.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:08 pm
I'm curious how you fellows that saw Thomson in action at TC feel about him being released? I got the feeling the Lions were fairly high on him. I guess his potential was outweighed by the experience that Pipkin brings as potential backup (for the time being at least) to Adams.
Thomson was a rookie QB like many before him, with obvious running ability but a lot to learn about CFL football. I never saw him as anything more than a potential emergency backup and short-yardage QB. With Pipkin and Adams now ahead of him as more experienced QBs with similar skills, his path to playing time has disappeared.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I was hoping that with they bye week giving them extra time, they would be able to start Adams already. Couldnt be any worse than Pippy. Gonna be a tough game to win I think
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 5:44 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:08 pm
Thomson was a rookie QB like many before him, with obvious running ability but a lot to learn about CFL football. I never saw him as anything more than a potential emergency backup and short-yardage QB. With Pipkin and Adams now ahead of him as more experienced QBs with similar skills, his path to playing time has disappeared.
I would have liked to see Thomson in real regular season action. He did show some flashes of positive play in TC but overall he and O'Connor were really just 2a vs 2b and well in arrears of Rourke. At this point in the season things are well settled with the QB depth chart. We're close to having only 1/3 of the season left with the PR expanding shortly. The likelihood of him actually seeing any action is extremely slim.

If they saw something very special in Thomson they would keep him. If after nearly a year with the club they see his upside as no more than a serviceable backup then it's time to turn him loose and bring in another younger prospect(s) with hopefully more upside to be assessed for bringing to 2023 training camp.
almo89
Legend

Just heard Farhan talk on Donnie and Dhali. He said Pipkin will start and Adams will back up. What happened to O'Connor?
Hambone
Hall of Famer

almo89 wrote:
Thu Sep 08, 2022 2:08 pm
Just heard Farhan talk on Donnie and Dhali. He said Pipkin will start and Adams will back up. What happened to O'Connor?
Looks like he will dress with role likely as emergency 3rd string. He's been listed on this week's injury report as a "limited" participant right thru until and including yesterday. It's safe to assume he's still not 100% healthy.