Lions vs. Riders Aug. 26, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:16 pm
Yep, I am now thinking 3rd place if we are lucky. This Rider team is not very good and we couldn't get it done. So let's count this. Tonight, we lost TJ Lee, Lucky Whitehead and Brendan O'Conner. And we have yet to play, Cgy 2x and the Bombers 2x. All those bye weeks early on would sure have been more welcome now.
Okay, now I don't feel so bad for screwing up Michael's name earlier (I inadvertently called him 'Matthew' a local film director). :wink:

Was really surprised that we had the Riders hemmed in deep in the final 3 minutes and couldn't force a punt. The Peter contacting penalty hurt but the inability to stuff the run when needed did us in.

My main concern is that we're a 1-dimensional team (passing) and when that dimension is compromised, we're going to tire out our defense by leaving them on the field a lot.

I really hope there are meaningful changes on Special Teams during the bye. It's same-old, same-old for the most part.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Alputt wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:01 pm

I question why Butler only had 4 touches? If the passing game was going to be questionable why not open the playbook to a highly talented RB?
Ratio was a big factor. When O'Connor had to leave they had to sit an American to meet the ratio and replace him with a NAT. Butler drew the short straw with Mackie getting his reps. Other options were to pull Norman and put in Pierson or pull one of the receivers and put in Scarfone or Petermann. They did rotate Scarfone in a bit later in the 4th.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Alputt
Champion

Starting on our 20 (or worse) after every punt return all year doesn't help either...
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:40 pm
Not sure about all the dissing of Pipkin. Nobody will confuse him with Rourke but IMO tonight he looked a lot better than O'Connor. As a more seasoned vet he probably should. He's far more capable with his legs and throws the ball with more authority.
pipkin is as good as he ever will be, which isnt good enough, while O'Conner should/might get better than Pippy ever hope to be
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Alputt
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:18 pm
Alputt wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:01 pm

I question why Butler only had 4 touches? If the passing game was going to be questionable why not open the playbook to a highly talented RB?
Ratio was a big factor. When O'Connor had to leave they had to sit an American to meet the ratio and replace him with a NAT. Butler drew the short straw with Mackie getting his reps. Other options were to pull Norman and put in Pierson or pull one of the receivers and put in Scarfone or Petermann. They did rotate Scarfone in a bit later in the 4th.
OK that makes sense. I like Mackie but he's who you call on for a handoff to power through when a couple yards short, not really fair to expect him to make catches and big plays after. At least Pipkin has legs. Scarfone had a TD reception so hard to complain about that call.
Walt67
Starter

Just got home from the game - and boy, almost the entire evening was Root Canal Football. Painful.
This forum has been blaring kick returns and kick coverage for weeks now - and once again the Riders always started at 40-plus yardline while our 2nd and 3rd string pivots got the 20. Half the talk with Moj and Guilio was "gotta flip the field".
Painful.
Then the so-so running game got an anchor thrown around it with Pipkin's insertion, forcing an import ratio change and pulling Butler for stretches.
Meanwhile, I thought the D played solid given all the time they were forced to stay on the field. There were several sacks, a big Sask play off a lucky tipped ball - but the inability to stuff the run after the ticky-tack PI call killed it - as others have noted.
Btw, I do wish the Zebras would use a tad more discretion on iffy calls the way they do in the NHL; I'm also thinking of the phantom holding call that killed a late drive by the Stamps in an otherwise great game Thursday - enabling the Bombers to grind down the clock. (of course I've been griping about that since '63).
This was my last 3-pack game. Right now, the avalanche of injuries makes it hard thinking about buying any more tickets.
Last word: besides, at home with the TV I can hear myself think without 3 hours of ENDLESS BASS MUSIC. (Sorry Mr. Doman)
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Here we are knowing we need our special teams/return game to start contributing without our team MVP and yet we turn to Marcus Sayles for the first time in his career as a Lion to return punts. I was dumbfounded.

Was cautiously hopeful the offence would still have some success despite being so one dimensional but unfortunately that 3rd quarter was tough to overcome. Not a complete disaster especially Pipkin being thrown into a very tough spot but no way are we winning any of the 4 games against Calgary and Winnipeg with no Rourke and no threat of a running game.

What I didn't expect to see is the Riders rack up over 400 yards in total offence and chew up huge yardage and the clock with the game on the line in the late going. Another friendly reminder why the Lions signed Stove Richardson and Woody Baron to shore up the interior of the defensive line. Maybe we will see at least one of them by the end of the season.
And I don't even want to think where this defence would be without signing Betts or Purifoy. Betts reminds me more and more of Brent Johnson everytime I watch him play. A fantastic motor and another huge game tonight.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I give credit to Rider OC Jason Maas for a great game plan to keep the B.C. defence off balance by running the ball and moving Cody Fajardo around in the pocket. Even though Fajardo was sacked 7 times, the Rider offence made plays. After throwing for just 41 yards before being pulled last week, Fajardo completed 19 of 24 passes this week for 322 yards, 2 TDs and no INTs. Frankie Hickson rushed 15 times for 129 yards, an average of over 8 yards per carry. Kian Schaffer-Baker made 5 catches for 170 yards, including the game’s biggest plays in the second quarter, a tipped-ball catch for 49 yards to set up the Riders’ first field goal and an 85-yard TD pass against the B.C. blitz on the next series. Those 10 points gave the Riders the lead and the confidence they needed to win the game.

The Lions had chances to make plays but the B.C. quarterbacks were off with their timing and their mechanics, going a combined 15 of 32, repeatedly missing open receivers or staring them down and throwing too late. We can hope that whoever starts the next game will feel a bit more comfortable in the pocket and will do a better job of throwing on time and on target.

The Lions needed to run the ball more with Nathan Rourke out of the lineup but instead they called 13 pass plays in the first quarter. Their only running play was nullified by penalty. The running game was further limited after Michael O’Connor left the game with a groin injury in the second quarter and David Mackie replaced James Butler at running back on most series to maintain the ratio.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The running game has been non-existent for the last couple of seasons. Is it the scheme , the running back ? Whatever it is, I'm getting tired of the back getting stuffed on the line of scrimmage. Get it fixed !!!! Whatever it takes.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Alputt wrote:
Starting on our 20 (or worse) after every punt return all year doesn't help either...
And they start on their 40. It’s been this way all season. That’s a 20 yard advantage every series. If a team took 20 yards in penalties on every drive they would never win a game. Yet we spot our opponents exactly that on every punt or kick-off.
zeppo
Starter

Belize City Lion wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:49 am
Alputt wrote:
And they start on their 40. It’s been this way all season. That’s a 20 yard advantage every series. If a team took 20 yards in penalties on every drive they would never win a game. Yet we spot our opponents exactly that on every punt or kick-off.
I'm certainly not going to provide statistics for the entire season, just for August 26th.

The Lions scrimmaged to start drives on their own 36; 51; 30; 20; 22; 40; 16; 50; 40; 34; 35; and 40 yard lines.
Average: 35 (34.5) yard line.

The Riders scrimmaged to start drives on their own 40; 40; 43; 40; 40; 25; 14; 40; 44; 47; 33; 44; and 8 yard lines.
Average: 35 (35.2) yard line.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

zeppo wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:41 am
Belize City Lion wrote:
Alputt wrote:
I'm certainly not going to provide statistics for the entire season, just for August 26th.

The Lions scrimmaged to start drives on their own 36; 51; 30; 20; 22; 40; 16; 50; 40; 34; 35; and 40 yard lines.

The Riders scrimmaged to start drives on their own 40; 40; 43; 40; 40; 25; 14; 40; 44; 47; 33; 44; and 8 yard lines.
The common perception seems to be that the Lions usually start deep in their own zone while opponents start at the 40 or better. The reality is that the Lions and their opponents both started their average drive at the 37.9 yard line through Week 11. There are several factors at play.

On the positive side, B.C.'s defence has given up the fewest yards, often forcing opponents to give the ball back to the Lions in good field position. B.C. also leads the league in net punting average, allowing them to pin opponents deeper in their own end.

On kickoffs, however, B.C. ranks eighth in average kickoff depth and average kick return length, giving up a net difference of about 6 yards per kickoff.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Running game has to be in place even if O'Connor is QB and more screens. He has to move out of the pocket but IIRC this painful game he wasn't much moving at all.

I only caught the 2nd half of the Stamps - Bomber game but both Buck Pierce and Dave Dickenson in that half got massive credit for their creativity and play calling and how much the Bombers got the ball spread around. Ironically, that was Dickenson's best play calling likely inspired by Pierce.

But sadly only some run plays for Pipkin and little of the FB Mackie it seems (one screen IIRC to him was off target).

Lions seemed to give up more on the kick returns as turning them didn't have that one guy who always makes that tackle.

Some DEF tackling last night hurt.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

KnowItAll wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 11:19 pm
Hambone wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:40 pm
Not sure about all the dissing of Pipkin. Nobody will confuse him with Rourke but IMO tonight he looked a lot better than O'Connor. As a more seasoned vet he probably should. He's far more capable with his legs and throws the ball with more authority.
pipkin is as good as he ever will be, which isnt good enough, while O'Conner should/might get better than Pippy ever hope to be
What also might not help Pipkin for this game is that with O'Connor getting the start he likely got almost all the 1st unit practice reps this week. At least I would expect he would.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

zeppo wrote:
Sat Aug 27, 2022 11:41 am
Belize City Lion wrote:
Alputt wrote:

The league moved the kickoff back 5-10 yards (forget which) which may explain why teams are scrimmaging around the 40-45 yard line.