Rourke to undergo surgery

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

The challenge with platooning is it would require a double switch every time O'Connor went out an Pipkin went in. Having to do so certainly isn't a show stopper, but is a consideration. With Pipkin in they'd have to pull either one of the 3 American OL, Butler or one of the American receivers who at least until Rourke's injury were all on pace for 1000+ yard seasons.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:50 am
The challenge with platooning is it would require a double switch every time O'Connor went out an Pipkin went in. Having to do so certainly isn't a show stopper, but is a consideration. With Pipkin in they'd have to pull either one of the 3 American OL, Butler or one of the American receivers who at least until Rourke's injury were all on pace for 1000+ yard seasons.
I didn’t notice the substitution pattern when Pipkin came in last week but it’s likely that David Mackie came in as a blocker, replacing field WR Keon Hatcher. That’s an easy substitution, and it can open up more of the rushing and short passing game.
Walt67
Starter

Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:12 am
I too briefly thought of Michael Reilly but only for a brief moment as that was too painful to watch and it seemed that the OC called far too many deep balls that weren't connecting.
This team seems better prepared in all facets.

I also wondered if Rick Campbell was now asking himself if he should have given O'Connor some more game reps as he took the view that Rourke needed reps as he's a first year starter.

If trade or a new QB from out of the blue aren't options then another internal solution could be O'Connor starting and Antonio Pipkin maybe platooning. His dad certainly was a master at more one than QB but at that time the Esks had an abundance of talent at QB.

Some really innovative run packages and the greater use of the FB could help here.
You raise a very interesting question about the over-reliance and lack of success with the long ball during Reilly's last few seasons here. While I was a fan of our tough QB, it did get rather tedious watching many two-and-outs which often included a low-percentage long ball (or a coverage sack!) - instead of take-what-they-give-you short stuff and decent drives. My big question was whether this was down to the OC or if Reilly himself, who carried a lot of clout, simply preferred the long ball.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Walt67 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 2:47 pm
Toppy Vann wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 11:12 am
I too briefly thought of Michael Reilly but only for a brief moment as that was too painful to watch and it seemed that the OC called far too many deep balls that weren't connecting.
This team seems better prepared in all facets.

I also wondered if Rick Campbell was now asking himself if he should have given O'Connor some more game reps as he took the view that Rourke needed reps as he's a first year starter.

If trade or a new QB from out of the blue aren't options then another internal solution could be O'Connor starting and Antonio Pipkin maybe platooning. His dad certainly was a master at more one than QB but at that time the Esks had an abundance of talent at QB.

Some really innovative run packages and the greater use of the FB could help here.
You raise a very interesting question about the over-reliance and lack of success with the long ball during Reilly's last few seasons here. While I was a fan of our tough QB, it did get rather tedious watching many two-and-outs which often included a low-percentage long ball (or a coverage sack!) - instead of take-what-they-give-you short stuff and decent drives. My big question was whether this was down to the OC or if Reilly himself, who carried a lot of clout, simply preferred the long ball.
Something tells me that Reilly himself has moved on and would not be interested in a return to football. He seems like the kind of guy who once he makes a decision that’s it. Remember he still had a year left on his contract when he retired, so this was not a case of him retiring to save his legacy rather than face a free agent market where his value might have diminished greatly.

Regardless, I don’t see that working out for BC for myriad of reasons. Namely, it didn’t work last year even after Reilly started getting better protection from the O-line.

But at least it seems we’ve finally moved on from Casey Printers! I was watching to see if his name would come up. :wink:
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Major Harris anyone ? :wink: :wink:
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

How bout.....

Colin Kaepernik

Maybe he might like to play some football again. Know it is crazy but he is available I believe.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Same situation as last week. Short yardage I'm sure included both Canadian fullbacks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:05 am
Hambone wrote:
Same situation as last week. Short yardage I'm sure included both Canadian fullbacks.
Short yardage is simple. Mackie would always be on the field for that although sometimes Cottoy comes out when he goes in. And of course there's always the option of a 6th OL in lieu of a receiver. Where platooning is more challenging is if they want to put Pipkin out there to run the regular offense for a few plays or a series.

Isn't ironic though. Some of us have questioned why they weren't using Pipkin or even O'Connor more for short yardage to take the risk off Rourke. Then the first game they do that Rourke gets hurt. :bang:
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

There is a qB just released by the Rams who had a pretty good year in the USFL. Luis Perez. Just putting it out there
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
bcbill1
Rookie

I'm looking forward to seeing our new starter, O'Connor get his chance. I really hope all this talk about who is available and who should be brought in is just for fun. He's not Rouke, but not one of us knows how good he is or can be.
Go Micheal Go! Best of luck. I know most of us Lions fans believe you should get you chance. :cheer:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:55 pm
There is a qB just released by the Rams who had a pretty good year in the USFL. Luis Perez. Just putting it out there
I'm thinking given his druthers he'd go back to the USFL were he can make USD$45K + bonuses for their 10 game season or the XFL which I think pays a bit better. That as opposed to coming up here where after a minimum 2 or 3 weeks of PR pay he could make maybe CAD$23K for at best 6 games of CFL play. That's if he comes up almost immediately. USFL and XFL options allow NFL cuts to take their time making such a decision hoping maybe another NFL opportunity pops up.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have three QBs who know the offence and have worked with the receivers for most of the season. They’ll be fine.
David
Team Captain

Let's not sleep on Kevin Thomson. Big, tall, quick feet, put up good numbers in college. I had heard that he was really pushing O'Connor for the #2 backup role (like Maier had done in Calgary) before his preseason injury in Calgary. Now fully recovered.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:06 am
Let's not sleep on Kevin Thomson. Big, tall, quick feet, put up good numbers in college. I had heard that he was really pushing O'Connor for the #2 backup role (like Maier had done in Calgary) before his preseason injury in Calgary. Now fully recovered.

O'Connor and Thomson alternated at second-team reps from day to day at training camp. O'Connor was the better passer, which is probably what the Lions need most. Thomson was the better runner, a skill that Pipkin also bring to the Lions.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:22 am
David wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:06 am

O'Connor and Thomson alternated at second-team reps from day to day at training camp. O'Connor was the better passer, which is probably what the Lions need most. Thomson was the better runner, a skill that Pipkin also bring to the Lions.
Yes indeed BCF. Thomson definitely showed some excellent wheels when you and I were there in Kamloops.