Elks vs. Lions Aug. 6, 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

One of the things that Coach Campbell has focused on in locker room vid clips that I have seen is him congratulating his players for winning the second half of a game where they had a big half time lead. So yeah, Rourke is going to get lots of playing time, regardless of the score.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:36 pm
One of the things that Coach Campbell has focused on in locker room vid clips that I have seen is him congratulating his players for winning the second half of a game where they had a big half time lead. So yeah, Rourke is going to get lots of playing time, regardless of the score.
And I like that about Campbell. He emphasizes 'keep playing just as hard when you're winning' and that's a message more coaches need to send. Particularly to their defences.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

It's the same when Mackie is in the game as a tight end. The Lions need to run more play action from running formations to disguise their tendencies. Some of Cottoy's biggest receptions have come when he lines up to block and slips out behind coverage. Mackie can be effective as a runner or receiver on screen passes.

I have a Lyle Green on Line 1 for you.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Last game with Nathan Rourke by the half poised to challenge Dunigan's 713 yard record game, I had no issue with the HC's rationale that Rourke still needs more game time experience versus getting the back up reps in case of injury. Campbell is right to ensure that his team doesn't get sloppy or thinking these games are over are they'll slip into the L column quickly.

I would like to see O'Connor get some decent reps rather than just running out the clock with run plays BUT I get where the HC is at given Rourke's newness to the pros and starting.

I'd like to see Cottoy or Mackie used more effectively as cromartie notes. These OCs seem to get stuck in the rut of run calls that run right into the D's strengths for limited gains.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy