Lions v Bombers July 9

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Qman
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:23 pm
zeppo wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:39 pm

IIRC, he dropped a pass while running a slant route in the first half. The ball was a bit in front of him, but a pro receiver has to
make that type of catch. The second drop was late in the game. The ball hit him right in the hands, popped up in the air,
and ended up being intercepted.
That slant one was the one I recalled. Yes it was a slant but it wasn't like it hit him in the hands chest high in stride. He's 6'4 and had to drop to his knees and reach out in front to get his hands on it. I've seen Simon and Burnham drop far more catchable balls more than once. The latter must have been the pick O'Connor was charged with.

Anyways from what I saw if Pearson in camp and that electrifying TD I'm willing to have some patience in seeing if he can grow and develop into a reliable receiver.
Pearson and cottoy drops cost us big time vs bombers. With rourke type popgun offense, you can’t have any drops. Drive killers.
Qman
Champion

David wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:13 pm
As others have mentioned, this was a humbling experience for our D and D-coordinator. I haven't watched the game on PVR but I thought the offense acquitted itself fairly well, if you take away the ill-timed turnovers. Our running attack was fairly impotent but I thought the offensive line was decent in pass pro against the best front 4 in the league.

Perhaps not the worst thing to happen to our D? They should come out hungrier next time. I'm all for team unity but dancing celebrations with the D-coordinator were getting a bit much. As SammyGreene points out, we haven't done anything yet against the Bombers, Stamps, and Riders. Beat them and we have cause to celebrate.

DH :cool:
Our dline got beat up big time vs bombers. Other teams are going to copy going forward. Woody baron was in plain clothes at the game. It’s going to be weeks until he’s game ready.
OV:54-40
Starter

Qman wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:01 pm
Hambone wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:23 pm
zeppo wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:39 pm

IIRC, he dropped a pass while running a slant route in the first half. The ball was a bit in front of him, but a pro receiver has to
make that type of catch. The second drop was late in the game. The ball hit him right in the hands, popped up in the air,
and ended up being intercepted.
That slant one was the one I recalled. Yes it was a slant but it wasn't like it hit him in the hands chest high in stride. He's 6'4 and had to drop to his knees and reach out in front to get his hands on it. I've seen Simon and Burnham drop far more catchable balls more than once. The latter must have been the pick O'Connor was charged with.

Anyways from what I saw if Pearson in camp and that electrifying TD I'm willing to have some patience in seeing if he can grow and develop into a reliable receiver.
Pearson and cottoy drops cost us big time vs bombers. With rourke type popgun offense, you can’t have any drops. Drive killers.
"popgun offence" ??? - Rourke has completed bombs galore compared to all other CFL offences.

Another offence note: Ticats have released RB Maleek Irons (former team-mate of Rourke's at Ohio) - big power back and a Canadian- why not sign him ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

OV:54-40 wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:08 pm
Another offence note: Ticats have released RB Maleek Irons (former team-mate of Rourke's at Ohio) - big power back and a Canadian- why not sign him ?
Would he take a PR spot? Who would they cut on the 46 to make room? Villamizar? Petermann? Scarfone? They likely need to make room for Knevel when he comes off the 6G after the road game in Regina. I'm thinking Peirson might get demoted to the 1G then unless they follow your recommendation and dress 7 OL. Is he a kick returner or kick coverage guy?
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
MacNews
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 12:31 am
First real test for Ryan Phillips and he failed.
I agree but the season is young and we will play the Bombers twice more. Still time to rebound and win the season series.
OV:54-40
Starter

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:34 am
Would he take a PR spot? Who would they cut on the 46 to make room? Villamizar? Petermann? Scarfone? They likely need to make room for Knevel when he comes off the 6G after the road game in Regina. I'm thinking Peirson might get demoted to the 1G then unless they follow your recommendation and dress 7 OL. Is he a kick returner or kick coverage guy?
Villamizar would be an obvious choice; teams need a back-up H-back (very little used position for most part) like a hole in the head (unless the guy is a beast on special teams), compared to other positions that are full-time; Irons could back-up at tailback and be used for short yardage power runs (mind you i guess Mackie can do that too), plus play STs as well - Irons is a big back.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Bit of a cryptic tweet from Bo Lokombo yesterday "things happen for a reason" after he was scheduled to have an MRI on his elbow Monday after leaving Saturday's game. https://twitter.com/LOKO4BOLO20/status/ ... 9891134464

If he is out for an extended period it could impact their ratio decisions. Ben Hladik or Josh Woods as a replacement? If the latter then is starting a 7th national on the d-line (Betts and Menard at DEs). Likely various combinations depending on situations as Nathan Cherry was getting a lot of reps when Woods was in the game. But Bo would be a significant loss.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

If the Lions want to replace Lokombo with an American, then I think they could replace Pearson at WR with a Canadian to get to 7 starting N.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2022 9:28 am
Bit of a cryptic tweet from Bo Lokombo yesterday "things happen for a reason" after he was scheduled to have an MRI on his elbow Monday after leaving Saturday's game. https://twitter.com/LOKO4BOLO20/status/ ... 9891134464

If he is out for an extended period it could impact their ratio decisions. Ben Hladik or Josh Woods as a replacement? If the latter then is starting a 7th national on the d-line (Betts and Menard at DEs). Likely various combinations depending on situations as Nathan Cherry was getting a lot of reps when Woods was in the game. But Bo would be a significant loss.
I also saw Menard and Betts on the D-line together a lot after Lokombo was injured. There are many ways the Lions can maintain the ratio on defence without affecting the offence. Hladik has had the bulk of reps at WILL on the two occasions when Lokombo has been hurt. The Lions also have Isaiah Guzylak-Messam as a national who has started at the position in the past and has more speed than Hladik.
David
Team Captain

Wishing Bo a speedy recovery. I am fine with any decision as long as they don't mess with the D-line, as I created the purrfect nickname: The Killer Bees.

Boom (Gwacham)
Banks
Bonner
Betts

:wink:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

"The Killer Bees"....If only they were.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:25 am
Hambone wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:34 am
Villamizar would be an obvious choice; teams need a back-up H-back (very little used position for most part) like a hole in the head (unless the guy is a beast on special teams), compared to other positions that are full-time; Irons could back-up at tailback and be used for short yardage power runs (mind you i guess Mackie can do that too), plus play STs as well - Irons is a big back.
I haven't watched Villamizar much to see what role he plays on teams outside of kickoff returns. On kickoffs he is the other deep guy along with the returner. In that role I think he's expected to be lead blocker for the primary returner unless the kicker directs the ball his way. So far opponents haven't.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.