Key to the fast start...

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Leos are now 3-0 and the story is (and should be) the exceptional play of Nathan Rourke. But what shouldn't be overlooked is the improved play of many other Leos. A slew of players are noticeably better in 2022 than 2021. My list:

Keon Hatcher
Peter Godber
Mathieu Betts (Edmonton)
Marcus Sayles
Obum Gwachum
Tim Bonner

I had a gut feeling that the Leos would be much improved over last year (I was predicting a 10 or 11-win season). Yes, it's early, but they are surpassing my expectations, getting key plays each game from a variety of players.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Lion Guy
Hall of Famer

Defence wins. We have a defence.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The play of the offensive line has been my most pleasant surprise. Far less holding calls.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Butler is another 2nd year player who is pulling his weight.

However, it is really the D that is delivering the fast start, imo.

The addition of former all stars Breaux and Puifoy to the already on the roster former all stars Sayles and Lee and veteran Peters, makes for a very strong bunch of DBs. And then there is the reigning Rookie of the Year in MLB Williams and reigning Most Outstanding Canadian in WLB Lokombo, as well as runner up David Menard at DE.

Hiring John Bowman as D line coach, another great move. Although he is a rookie coach, the amount of experience and technique that Bowman can pass along is off the charts as he is easily on everyone's list of the top ten DE of all time in the CFL.

This could be the strongest D in Lions history.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The play of the defensive line is most surprising to me. The Lions rank third in the league with 10 sacks in 3 games. I didn’t see any sign of that pressure in training camp, which is probably a testament to the strength of the veteran O-line.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As fans we tend to look outside to free agency for upgrades and improvement. Every bit as important if not more so is improvement from within. Totally relying on free agency to improve is not a sustainable plan. The pains of playing with so many 1st year CFLers in 2021 is reaping dividends in 2022.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 10:06 am
As fans we tend to look outside to free agency for upgrades and improvement. Every bit as important if not more so is improvement from within. Totally relying on free agency to improve is not a sustainable plan. The pains of playing with so many 1st year CFLers in 2021 is reaping dividends in 2022.
I wonder what this means for the future of Woody Baron as a Leo? He was 6-gamed. Not sure what happens when he is 'ready' to return...

I don't know if I'd park anybody right now.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
cromartie
Hall of Famer

...playing Edmonton and Toronto.

The secondary is seriously good. So much so we can, at times, get to the QB with four.

The offensive line is significantly improved. We can actually run the ball, which is a nice change.

The offensive play calling, and in game adjustments are the best I've seen since Buratto was here. Not to criticize the departed, but Rourke lacks the hero ball tendencies Mike Reilly had and it helps the offensive flow of the game a lot.

But if you want to be the champ, you have to beat the champ so we're going to learn a lot this weekend, I suspect.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:31 am
...playing Edmonton and Toronto.

The secondary is seriously good. So much so we can, at times, get to the QB with four.

The offensive line is significantly improved. We can actually run the ball, which is a nice change.

The offensive play calling, and in game adjustments are the best I've seen since Buratto was here. Not to criticize the departed, but Rourke lacks the hero ball tendencies Mike Reilly had and it helps the offensive flow of the game a lot.

But if you want to be the champ, you have to beat the champ so we're going to learn a lot this weekend, I suspect.
It's a bit bizarre. One thing I believe we can conclude is the 2022 Bombers are not the 2021 or 2019 Bombers. Yes they are 4-0 but the other numbers are almost defying logic.

In terms of yardage/game they are:
Offensively 8th in passing averaging 246.0/GP and 7th in rushing averaging 78.0/GP including a CFL low 3.9 yards/rush.
Defensively 9th in pass defence allowing 315.5/GP and 3rd in sun defense allowing 74.8/GP
Just as BC hasn't allowed a passing TD this year the Bombers haven't allowed a TD on the ground.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I'd add OC Jordan Maksymic to the list of most improved. Maybe he was this good all along and was just hampered by trying to call a game for a battered Mike Reilly, but it certainly looks like he is calling the purrfect game for Rourke's abilities so far this season.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Maybe there may be some truth to the rumours that Reilly had too much input into play calling.