It's Rourke's Offense Now

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

CrazyCanuck89
Starter

cromartie wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 4:54 am
So we've turned the page from Reilly to Rourke and I think it's important we talk about what it's going to take to make him successful.

The challenge, as I see it, is not that Rourke isn't "ready", it's that his skill set as a QB doesn't fit Campbell's offensive philosophy.

This is easy to see, because where Reilly was at physically in 2021 didn't fit it either.

Campbell, like his dad, prefers an offense geared around deep throw chunk plays based off of roll outs. To me, this isn't Rourke, who is more of an intermediate passer. He can throw deep but there's a wind up in his delivery that really inhibits his ability to throw as deep and as frequently as Campbell would like. Ideally you want to design an offense that creates intermediate chaos (slants, crossers), disguises formations and patterns pre-snap (Trestman's offense for Calvillo) and leverages TE/FB and receiving opportunities for the backs.

The analog here is having a Dickenson when you want a Printers. (Or having a Wilkinson when you want a Moon. Or having a Flutie when you want a Paopao) There's a reason Campbell won a Grey Cup with Henry Burris, because Burris has the QB skill set Campbell wants to run.

So if Reilly had returned, we'd face the same problem in 2022 as we did in 2021; an offense that doesn't fit the skill set of the quarterback. And now that Reilly isn't returning, we're facing the same problem in 2022 as we did in 2021; an offense that doesn't fit the skill set of the quarterback.

How we adjust is going to be the key to the season.

They have a whole offseason to implement a new offense if needed. With Reilly and Durant off the books, that's over 700k to spend on building the O and D lines. If Chungh comes off the books, that is even more cap savings.

Resign Burnham
Resign Cottoy
Draft Sow to compete at RG
Sign a stud DE
Find a younger tackle for either side
Find a monster NT or 1T
cromartie
Hall of Famer

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:53 am

They have a whole offseason to implement a new offense if needed. With Reilly and Durant off the books, that's over 700k to spend on building the O and D lines. If Chungh comes off the books, that is even more cap savings.

Resign Burnham
Resign Cottoy
Sign a stud DE
Find a monster NT or 1T
And I'm all for this. It's the phrase if needed that bothers me, because it is needed.
Dusty
Champion

cromartie wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:43 am
CrazyCanuck89 wrote:

Resign Burnham
Resign Cottoy
Sign a stud DE
Find a monster NT or 1T
And I'm all for this. It's the phrase if needed that bothers me, because it is needed.
Yes, I agree it is needed, but it won't be 700K to start with. There will be an experienced QB added to the squad and that will take 150-200K to make happen..... I suspect the dollars from Durant and Reilly will amount to (maybe) 2 FA's assuming that we can sign Cottoy and Burnham. If we can't sign both, then that could result in more signing of O and D lineman, because we will be going with rookie or entry contract WR's and Slotbacks.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

CrazyCanuck89 wrote:

Resign Burnham
Resign Cottoy
Sign a stud DE
Find a monster NT or 1T
First off Chungh is not coming off the books. They just gave him a new deal a few weeks ago.

As for the rest:
Burnham: cap space freed up makes this far more likely.
Cottoy: right now that is out of their control. He's getting NFL workouts. If he gets an offer he's gone. If not he will be their top priority and they should be able to get it done. Don't expect to know how that works out until hours before free agency kicks in.
Draft Sow???????
Stud DE: hello Ja'Gared Davis....if he doesn't extend in Hamilton where Speedi-B's departure just freed up some cap
Younger tackle: not sure anybody is out there in free agency. Re-signing Ryker if healthy might be the best option.
Monster DT: might have to find a newcomer to the CFL. I like Dylan Wynn. Richardson of WPG would be the only NT type I think.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

The crow is yummy, thanks.

Deep fry the wings with a sweet Carolina style BBQ sauce and yum yum yum.