Training camp 2022

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have posted a tentative training camp schedule, with rookie camp beginning on Wednesday, May 11 and main camp opening on Sunday, May 15 and ending on Wednesday, June 1. Most practices will be in the morning but there are several midweek afternoon/evening practices.

Fan Fest returns for the first time since 2019 on Saturday, May 21 with a scrimmage from 7:45 to 9 p.m. All events are at Hillside Stadium in Kamloops.

I hope to be there every day if possible.

https://www.bclions.com/training.camp
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Times they are changing. By my count only 13 practices. Back in the day of two-a-days that would be called Week 1. I had already booked a hotel for the May long weekend but find myself a bit disappointed that there might only be the Fan Fest plus 1 other practice on the Monday morning. At the time of booking I was thinking about coming down the following weekend but when I checked the schedule to see they would be in Calgary for preseason on that Saturday I realized nothing would be happening in Kamloops.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:48 pm
Times they are changing. By my count only 13 practices. Back in the day of two-a-days that would be called Week 1. I had already booked a hotel for the May long weekend but find myself a bit disappointed that there might only be the Fan Fest plus 1 other practice on the Monday morning. At the time of booking I was thinking about coming down the following weekend but when I checked the schedule to see they would be in Calgary for preseason on that Saturday I realized nothing would be happening in Kamloops.
Yes, it's hard to see four or five practices in a weekend any more. In recent years the Lions and other teams have shifted a lot of their two-a-days to back-to-back morning practices from 8:30 to noon. They count as two practices, with a short break in between. Only one practice each day can be padded but there is usually some good team play in both sessions, so look for days with longer practices to get the most bang for your buck.
Reg18
Starter

We're there any surprises with the roomies reporting today? Medical issues or out of shape? Did all our draft
Ics get into Kamloops ok?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Reg18 wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 2:10 pm
We're there any surprises with the roomies reporting today? Medical issues or out of shape? Did all our draft
Ics get into Kamloops ok?
Rookies are scheduled to hit the field at 5 p.m. for a one-hour walkthrough. I’m in Vernon at the moment but If I get back to Kamloops in time, I’ll stop by and see what I can find out.
squishy35
Legend

Anyone have a link to the TC roster?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It was posted in the De Anthony Signingthread Squishy but really should be here. Here ya go!

https://d3ham790trbkqy.cloudfront.net/w ... -Chart.pdf
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions' 2022 rookie camp opened Wednesday evening at Hillside Stadium in Kamloops under sunny, 20-degree skies. And in a throwback to 2021 training camp, the gates to the grandstand were locked despite Lions' signs saying fans are welcome to watch. Fortunately, as was the case last year, the field-level side gate was open, and diehards and media members found their way in to the stands.

I counted 46 players on the field: 19 on offence, 25 on defence and two kickers, Mark Millen and Nathan Hierlihy. All seven players signed after the recent national draft were on the field. Unsigned OL Noah Zerr and WR John Metchie III were the only draftees not in attendance. Global DLs Karlis Brauns and Tibo Dibaillie were also in uniform.

Global linebacker Boqiao Li wasn't in attendance and apparently has not resolved the immigration issues that kept him out of the country last year. Of the other rookies on the camp roster, I didn't see running backs Michael Warren or Taquan Mizzell. Fellow rookies Darius Clark and Bruce Anderson took all reps at RB.

Kevin Thomson, who backed up Nathan Rourke in the 2021 season finale, and UBC intern Garrett Rooker, are the two QBs in rookie camp. Thomson took most reps but there was no passing or kicking in this practice.

Second-year DB Austin Joyner took reps at SAM and safety. Offensive linemen Matt Guevremont and Jarell Broxton were other returning Lions on the field.

Not a lot can be observed at a walkthrough but I was impressed by the crispness and efficiency of all on field activities. It felt like this was a veteran group getting ready for game day.

One other quick observation is that DL Elijah Qualls, listed at 320 lbs., is definitely big. I look forward to finding out how well he can move or be moved.

The Lions have 22 defensive linemen on their training camp roster, about six more than they usually take to main camp. The number includes four national draft picks and two Global players who are unlikely to be early cuts, so the pressure will be on eight rookie Americans to impress early just to survive the weekend cuts and make it to main camp.
Reg18
Starter

Hmmm I wonder about zerr and metchie not signed?
Reg18
Starter

Maybe they have NFL hopes? Undrafted free agents are not given much chance to crack an NFL roster but if that's what they are thinking then good luck to them both
Reg18
Starter

I missed the earlier post that daidboth metchie and zerr are in NFL mini camps so it's best they give the nfla shot a ND get it out of the system and then come to the lions with a serious attitude.
Reg18
Starter

And in Metchies case I wonder how his knee is after a season ending injury.
David
Team Captain

Reg18 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:57 am
We may never see Metchie in the CFL. It's a long shot given his pedigree/level of talent. Zerr, on the other hand, I believe is at the NY Giants mini-camp, a point Neil McEvoy referenced when he drafted him (Neil called him before he was drafted and said something like, "look, I know you are going to the Giants camp, but we're going to take you next. Don't tell anyone").

Thanks for the stellar report as always, BCFAN. Some teams released a depth chart prior to camp. I have not seen one from the Lions. I would love to see who the hot prospects are to crack a roster spot (guys like De'Anthony Thomas, Elijah Qualls).

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Players took the field Thursday morning for a crisp, 90-minute non-padded practice. As has become standard, the main stadium gates were locked despite bearing Lions' signs welcoming fans.

Veteran quarterbacks Michael O'Connor and Isaac Harker were on the field taking reps with the rookies on offence. Nathan Rourke was there in shorts and a t-shirt but and spent most of his time In the press box. He is not expected to take part in rookie camp. It was interesting to see UBC grad O’Connor paired with current UBC QB Garrett Rooker in warmups. In the first team play session of rookie camp, Harker took first-team reps, followed by Thomson and O'Connor.

Overall, I counted 20 players on offence, 26 on defence and 2 kickers, who have yet to kick. DB Jacob Firlotte from the Langley Rams suffered the first injury of camp, getting treatment for a leg injury and spending the latter part of practice stretching and riding the bike on the sidelines.

Undersized DB Tyneil Cooper, a former Winnipeg Blue Bomber, had the first interception of camp off Thomson in skelly. Thomson's next pass should have been picked by Austin Joyner but he couldn't hang on. Howard Wilson, a fourth-round pick by Cleveland in the 2017 NFL draft, had a knockdown in skelly and looked strong in coverage.

A few other observations in individual players:
- Bruce Anderson, who dressed for three games last year with Edmonton, showed great hands at running back and had some impressive carries in team play.
- Kyle Clarot, another former Langley Ram, looked good at safety.
- WR Hakeem Butler, at 6'5, 227 lbs., looks a lot like Jevon Cottoy. Another similarity is that he is being used mainly on special teams, as Cottoy was for the first six games last year. One dissimilarity is that he has yet to show that he can catch the ball. He failed to catch the two balls thrown his way.
- Elijah Qualls stands out as the biggest player on the field but he doesn't look like an athlete. I look forward to seeing him in one-on-ones with O-linemen.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

David wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:01 am
Reg18 wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:57 am
We may never see Metchie in the CFL. It's a long shot given his pedigree/level of talent. Zerr, on the other hand, I believe is at the NY Giants mini-camp, a point Neil McEvoy referenced when he drafted him (Neil called him before he was drafted and said something like, "look, I know you are going to the Giants camp, but we're going to take you next. Don't tell anyone").

Thanks for the stellar report as always, BCFAN. Some teams released a depth chart prior to camp. I have not seen one from the Lions. I would love to see who the hot prospects are to crack a roster spot (guys like De'Anthony Thomas, Elijah Qualls).

DH :cool:
This explains the De'Anthony Thomas TC roster-list mystery discussed in another thread; According to Farhan Lalji he's a no-show and is no longer expected to join the team. https://3downnation.com/2022/05/12/form ... am-report/