Will Next Season be any Different?

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

One thing to keep in mind Sir P is that signing bonuses are little more than a salary advance. They are not extra money above and beyond the salary. I think where a team needs to be wary about signing bonus money is it they have questions about the QB's ability to be their guy from start to finish of the season.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Point conceded on the bonus money. But the problem remains that we pay more $$ for an aging QB than anyone else and have amassed a 10-22 record in that time. That just isn't good value for money.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

I was just talking to a ticket rep trying to upgrade my seats back to aisle seats. I'd already relocated from 242 Row R to 213 Row O last year to remain behind the BC bench. Needless to say I struck out. Only option was in row FF which was higher than I was willing to go. Picky eh?

Anyways while I was talking to him I asked how renewals were going as well as new sales. Renewals are going great as are new sales. He said enthisiasm for what is like a fresh new era is high. They're getting a lot of former ticket holders returning to the Den.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

My friend relocated to section 14. Like Hambone, he asked the sales rep how's the renewal going. Said it was "a struggle". That's why there were so many seats available.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:01 pm
My friend relocated to section 14. Like Hambone, he asked the sales rep how's the renewal going. Said it was "a struggle". That's why there were so many seats available.
I think ticket sales will continue to struggle until the Lions break out of the funk of 5th and 4th place finishes of the past two seasons.

Lions have so far done a great rebuilding job in free agency but it is all on paper. Some exciting, entertaining victories are needed to turn things around. The good news is the new owner looks as if he is aware and content with the needed long game approach to success.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
My experience was different (more like Hambone's). We wanted to move to mid-field (or mid-field-ish) on the Lions' side of the field and there weren't a lot of options for our group.

I think the Lions are going to try to sell the sh*t out of the first couple of home games with special events and hope that buzz and momentum can take over from there.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:35 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
My experience was different (more like Hambone's). We wanted to move to mid-field (or mid-field-ish) on the Lions' side of the field and there weren't a lot of options for our group.

I think the Lions are going to try to sell the sh*t out of the first couple of home games with special events and hope that buzz and momentum can take over from there.

DH :cool:
Out of curiosity I had also looked at the map for available options on both sides of the field before calling. There were a lot more, including some aisle seats, back over on the far side where the BC bench had been up until this past season. There were none to be had on the Lions' new side. My buddy and I were in the 3rd and 4th seats off the aisle so not too bad. I've always sat behind the BC bench going back to the final years in Empire. It feels dirty to be anywhere else. BCF loves his back of the end zone perch for the perspective of seeing plays develop. I like my spot because in addition to seeing the entire field of play it allows me to watch what's going on down in the bench area; see the interaction of players and coaches, watch possible injuries and what training staff are doing etc. There's lits if things happening that might tip me off to changes that might unfold on the field next time the O or D steps onto it.

It should be interesting to see what the club has in mind for marketing efforts early in the season. The schedule sets up nicely for that. We've come accustomed to a schedule thin on home games prior to Labour Day often with big gaps in between. Tack on a lot of early road games and unless they have a dominant club capable of winning more road games than they lose there's too much time out of the market and too many losses. For a team struggling to gain traction in the market that becomes very challenging. This year's schedule sets up well for marketing with 4 of the first 5 and 5 of the first 7 games at home. Of course they need to win some but it's much easier to build marketng momentum coming off a win when you're going to be right back in the Dome 2 weeks later as opposed to 5 weeks and 2 road games later.
Reg18
Starter

So much negativity. I think we are going to have an exciting season. The drama around Reilly is finally over,we have a new owner and we are moving forward and I am looking forward to a competitive camp so many rookirsin playing last year that are a season experienced and we have ourl kicker lots of good signings all Pointonhting towards a better season. Get onboard and hang on folks it's going to be good
Reg18
Starter

I'm
Thinking wE areooming at a much improved team so many things have happened. Reilly gone andnrw players from free agency and even he draft got us some players who can play this year.nrw players new owner new rules it's all good!
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

I could see you guys fighting for second.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Last season the Lions had a rookie laden roster and a lot of those rookies played pretty well and I expect an improved performance that experience and a training camp with pre season games will provide.

Lions did, at least on paper, extremely well in addressing weaknesses on the D and O line and Special Teams with both free agency and the draft.

They re-signed key veteran receivers in Burnham, Cottoy, Whitehead and that will be a big help to the less than veteran QB, Rourke. Also being flexible enough with the ratio to go with 3 Americans on the O line may really help, especially with depth if there are injuries.

The only thing that the Lions did that I am not happy about is letting Hunter Steward go.