2022 Free Agents - BC Targets - Top 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

SammyGreene
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:15 pm
This is truly a unique situation. We are putting all the cap money into the team around the Qb rather than to the Qb. It is fun and exciting to watch, and if they are successful, it may change the way the CFL teams build their teams.

I have no idea if this will work. I will be watching and cheering for Rourke.
Couldn't agree more maxlion. It's definitely a bold and refreshing move for a league that typically sees teams go the cautious route and recycle veteran QBs. Signing Harris and naming him your starter or 1B would have been the "safe" move but done nothing to get attention in this market compared to starting a Canadian kid who happened to grow up in Victoria.
Rourke's situation is a not a whole lot different than Casey Printers in 2004 who had thrown 3 passes as a rookie the previous season. Big difference of course was it took a Dickenson knee injury to immediately put him in the spotlight.
More recently, Dane Evans led Hamilton to the Grey Cup in 2019 with about as much experience as Rourke the season prior. Again it took a Masoli injury.

The Lions see Rourke's potential and are simply not wasting time and taking a full advantage of the unique salary cap hit for the next 2 seasons.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 9:06 pm
Too early to know particulars of how the QB position will play out in full, as to who's backup to Rourke, and indeed, as has been reasonably suggested (Hambone), perhaps it's no longer that aforementioned 1A & 1B equation, but kinda' interesting to read Warren Moon's take on a Canadian duo nonetheless. Moon and O'Connor have a connection I wasn't aware of. https://3downnation.com/2022/02/11/i-lo ... an-qb-duo/ BTW, I personally don't see Harker as a significant signing, i.e. I can easily imagine him being a training camp casualty as some of the other still-unknown Americans show their stuff. I'm not sure his limited experience in the CFL is worth all that much. He didn't shine when he had his chances so far as I can recall.
If they didn't have the utmost confidence in Rourke they would have been in hot pursuit of Harris or even Shiltz in his brief availability, maybe even Nichols. Harker will be competing for the #3 development spot on the PR with an outside shot at #2. However with the passport advantage O'Connor has in allowing them to replace Rourke mid game without having to make other adjustments for ratio Harker would have to outperform him in camp by a wide margin to take #2.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Oh, fully agreed--I'm delighted they have expressed and shown such confidence in Rourke. Indeed the signing of equally inexperienced O'Connor was telling, showing their confidence in Rourke first and foremost, but at the same time showing how they feel about O'Connor as a potential sidekick. It's an exciting dream, and something to really look forward to for training camp, to see how it all unfolds. Past camps through the years have always afforded surprises. Watching the twists and turns will be very interesting.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:25 pm
It's an exciting dream, and something to really look forward to for training camp, to see how it all unfolds. Past camps through the years have always afforded surprises. Watching the twists and turns will be very interesting.
Is it May yet? :roar:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 pm
Woody Baron is finally official.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/02/14/two- ... -mclennan/
That took a little while! (I was beginning to think Farhan had made a rare mistake in calling that deal.) Interesting side-note on Woody Baron; Back in 2018 he co-authored (along with two other authors) a children's fiction book on self-esteem (entitled Just a Gobbler). We have another interesting multi-dimensional character in the den it would seem.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 4:46 pm
Hambone wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:17 pm
Woody Baron is finally official.

https://www.bclions.com/2022/02/14/two- ... -mclennan/
That took a little while! (I was beginning to think Farhan had made a rare mistake in calling that deal.) Interesting side-note on Woody Baron; Back in 2018 he co-authored (along with two other authors) a children's fiction book on self-esteem (entitled Just a Gobbler). We have another interesting multi-dimensional character in the den it would seem.
Nice catch Ernie. That would make him a purrfect fit with the many Lions community efforts targeting kids.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Drop the "Y" off Woody and we have the Wood Stove twins plugging up the middle. Hopefully they keep the heat on opposing QBs and RBs and we don't have any chimney fires. :wink:
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Hambone wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:47 pm
Drop the "Y" off Woody and we have the Wood Stove twins plugging up the middle. Hopefully they keep the heat on opposing QBs and RBs and we don't have any chimney fires. :wink:
OK! You've got me stoked! Burn baby, burn!
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Riders sign Duron Carter as a defensive back.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 pm
Riders sign Duron Carter as a defensive back.
What is the CFL record for getting cut by the same coach on different teams? It's going to be at least twice before 2022 is over!
Hambone
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:19 pm
ELKS sign Duron Carter as a defensive back.
Fixed that for you LK.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chris Jones has been out of the CFL for four years but he’s acting like time has stood still, hoping to resurrect the careers of 34-year-old Manny Arceneaux and 36-year-old Adarius Bowman and to again convert Duron Carter into a defensive back at age 31 after Carter has been away from football for three years. Bring on the popcorn. :popcorn: