Update: Michael Reilly retires

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

My Q & A with Farhan:

Q: Credit due to you, Farhan. You called this WEEKS ago. Do you think the club was leaning to Rourke as the starter and Reilly was disinclined to be the '1B' back-up? Or was Neil asking him to take a pay cut that he wasn't aligned with? Either of these or just the right time to walk?

A: If Michael wanted to play again he would have been the starter on a restructured deal that still would have paid him handsomely. But it never got to that point. He’s known for awhile this was it. Just needed time to be sure

Just FYI.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:24 pm
My Q & A with Farhan:

Q: Credit due to you, Farhan. You called this WEEKS ago. Do you think the club was leaning to Rourke as the starter and Reilly was disinclined to be the '1B' back-up? Or was Neil asking him to take a pay cut that he wasn't aligned with? Either of these or just the right time to walk?

A: If Michael wanted to play again he would have been the starter on a restructured deal that still would have paid him handsomely. But it never got to that point. He’s known for awhile this was it. Just needed time to be sure

Just FYI.

Farhan's answer is exactly how I read things. I think through earlier conversations the Lions were well aware Reilly was mulling over this decision and needed to be able to come to that decision without the club muddying the waters with thngs like role or money. The only decision he had to make was to determine if he wanted to go all the things necessary to prepare himself for the rigours of another season or if it was time to retire. The role and money would take care of itself if he decided to continue.

Ironically I think the Covid cancelled season played a role in his decision. Had Covid not raised its ugly head and 2020 and 2021 happened like any normal season I think he would have played in 2022. With nearly 20 months of being full time stay at home husband and dad I think he got an early taste of what life after football was like and he really liked it making the decision to retire now much easier than it might have been had he played right through until now.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:19 pm
I would say we've gotten solid left tackle play from Fig (keep in mind he's been playing hurt for much of the last couple of years), poor return for Chung, and an "Incomplete" for Mathews. Rather odd IMO how he never returned from his "head" injury early in the season. Didn't even practice again as far as I know.

Agreed although I think we got better returns out of Chungh in 2021 partly because I don't think he was ever healthy in 2019. I'm curious about Matthews too and what the injury situation was there. For sure he was down there on the sidelines in civvies right to the end of the season so he didn't go anywhere. From what I've been told by someone with dealings with Matthews he and his significant other absolutely love Vancouver and the west coast.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

A very nice appreciation piece from JC Abbott re Reilly: https://3downnation.com/2022/01/26/gold ... -had-more/ I wish him well. (Perhaps we'll be lucky to hear him still, should he re-surface in the CFL on TSN telecasts at some point, offering his honest insight and wry humour.)
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I am still trying to adjust to Brees retiring. Heck, I havent even really gotten over Barry, Bo and Flutie yet. This is just too much too soon. arrgghh
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Spud387
Champion

Has Reilly given any kind of interview since his retirement? I would have thought that the retirement of a QB of his caliber and tenure with the league (+ two stints with the BC Lions) would have had a little more fanfare to it. I would understand no interviews if he is bitter and felt forced to retire, but that doesn't seem to be the case based on Farhan's answer.