2022 Free Agents - BC Targets - Top 5

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 10:27 pm
Farhan Lalji seems to be on top of all CFL contract offers and signings. He says Winnipeg C Michael Couture is likely to re-sign with the Bombers rather than move home ro B.C. and Ottawa C Mark Korte has been offered $205,000 to sign with his hometown Elks. Those were the two offensive linemen on my wish list. There’s a lot more money floating around the league than there has been in the COVID years.
Disappointed that Couture might stay where he is but they do have something pretty special happening there on the field and off. No surprise on Korte. As much as I liked the idea I figured it would be a long shot to outbid Edmonton. Simply being at home probably adds another $20K in value for him personally on top of what the Elks pay him. I like Ciraco too out of Hamilton but it may be same thing there. He's from Burlington.

On the money available we know last year it was suggested, due to Covid unknowns, teams try to keep spending down to the SMS floor which was $4.75M. How well that was adhered to we don't know. Over on RF Rider_Stronson who is reasonably connected suggested this year's max limit is $5.8M. Not sure where he got that as normally the cap has gone up $50K per season and the 2021 cap was $5.35M. I would have thought $5.4M would the the 2022 limit pending the settlement of the CBA. There has been no indication the recommendation to stay to the floor is in place this year. So we could be jumping from 2021 floor to 2022 ceiling a jump of $650K. Tack on the savings from the Reilly and Durant deals going away and BC could have upwards of $1.4M in extra money to work with.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:32 pm
Purifoy and Menard would be big signings if they can pull it off. $250k for Lawler; I'm not a big fan as I consider that over spending on the receiver group. Instead, over spend on the O and D line as that is the greatest area of need.

I wonder if throwing big $ at Lawler is a strategic move to force Bombers to match BC's offer, and then the Lions swoop in and out bid Bombers for one of their linemen?

With incentives Burnham gets $185, Whitehead $200, Lawler $250... :dizzy:
If Couture stays in Winnipeg and Korte goes him to Edmonton I'm not sure there's a lot of OL left that would cost any sort of big money. There is more value available for FA DL upgrades.

Full disclosure I don't like $250K for Lawler any more than you do. However tossing big $ at Lawler as a strategic move is one that can blow up in their face. The only reason to make that sort of offer is because you believe he brings that sort of value to the club. Offering it to force Winnipeg's hand and you might just wind up with him while the Bombers keep their linemen. The offer is binding. If Lawler prefers it over any others you own him whether he's worth it or not.
Islander
prospect

I’m reasonably happy about most of the offers the lions have submitted, Purifoy should never have been let go imo. The exception to this is Lawler’s offer. To me that seems like misplaced money that I’d rathere we spent on Davis or Wynn. I guess the idea is to surround Rourke with playmakers, but as many people have said, without an upgrade in the trenches, we’re looking at another so-so year.
In terms of analyzing potential O-line targets I have a question for everyone: what’s statistics are there for determining the quality of an offensive lineman? They’re not going to show up in the “league leaders” on CFL.ca. Just wondering if there’s some metrics that I’m not aware of.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Islander wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:07 am

In terms of analyzing potential O-line targets I have a question for everyone: what’s statistics are there for determining the quality of an offensive lineman? They’re not going to show up in the “league leaders” on CFL.ca. Just wondering if there’s some metrics that I’m not aware of.
No official league stats but all teams have grading systems and other analytics for their own OL personnel. No doubt they spend a lot of time assessing opponents' OL as units and individuals when breaking down tape as part of their preparation.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

While there are no official O line stats, rest assured the coaches know how many times a lineman gets beat by an opponent per game on pass plays and how many successful run blocks or other successful or unsuccessful assignments per game. It's what makes football such a demanding job: The boss films and evaluates everything you do, even on a practice field.
Odie
Rookie

I’d be really curious to see the breakdown on Lawlers offer. Farhan suggested it was a multi year deal with the first year paying 250k. Is every year 250 or is it extremely front end loaded? If it’s the later, this may be a shrewd move by the lions. Burn the extra cash this year in exchange for 2 more years at a reasonable cap hit- this would be super competitive and an offer Winnipeg would have trouble matching. If it’s this, it might be smart- if it’s 250k each season, I have more questions for sure as my personal fan-based opinion is that I’d love to have more $$$ spent on the trenches. I’d also question, a little more, the release of Durant…
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Odie wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:59 pm
I’d be really curious to see the breakdown on Lawlers offer. Farhan suggested it was a multi year deal with the first year paying 250k. Is every year 250 or is it extremely front end loaded? If it’s the later, this may be a shrewd move by the lions. Burn the extra cash this year in exchange for 2 more years at a reasonable cap hit- this would be super competitive and an offer Winnipeg would have trouble matching. If it’s this, it might be smart- if it’s 250k each season, I have more questions for sure as my personal fan-based opinion is that I’d love to have more $$$ spent on the trenches. I’d also question, a little more, the release of Durant…
Lawler playing for big money this season, while Rourke gets backup money, then next season Rourke gets a raise and Lawler plays for less....It could just work that way. But I agree, more $ for better O and D linemen is the real need.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:51 pm
While there are no official O line stats, rest assured the coaches know how many times a lineman gets beat by an opponent per game on pass plays and how many successful run blocks or other successful or unsuccessful assignments per game. It's what makes football such a demanding job: The boss films and evaluates everything you do, even on a practice field.
Angus Reid went into Dorazio's grading system in great deal in his book......including the chocolate bar reward for those who made the grade after the previous game. :wink:
Hambone
Hall of Famer

As was rumoured Couture is staying put.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/31/blue ... l-couture/

The list of pending FAs who might be lured to the left coast to upgrade BC's OL is getting to where you can count them on a cartoon character's hand and might have a finger or two left over.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:37 pm
As was rumoured Couture is staying put.

https://3downnation.com/2022/01/31/blue ... l-couture/

The list of pending FAs who might be lured to the left coast to upgrade BC's OL is getting to where you can count them on a cartoon character's hand and might have a finger or two left over.
And declined $200,000 from BC to stay put
David
Team Captain

The QB pool appears to be getting shallower with Jeremiah Masoli reportedly mulling offers from the Redblacks and Elks and McLeod Bethel-Thompson signing with the Argos today.

Trevor Harris is not going to come cheaply. Can see Jones going hard after him if he can't land Masoli. Chris Streveler's skillset might work well in a Nathan Rourke offense (plenty of run-pass options), but the jury is out on his accuracy and he'll likely want starter's money.

I'd be okay with signing Michael O'Connor with Matt Nichols also coming here in a type of mentorship role and to battle it out for #2. The limitations to this plan are that we typically want a #3 QB for a development role. Nichols certainly seemed to be a disappointment last year with Redblacks, but signing these two pivots won't break the bank.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
maxlion
Legend

Another possible QB candidate who has some experience and won't break the bank is Matthew Shiltz.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

maxlion wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:52 pm
Another possible QB candidate who has some experience and won't break the bank is Matthew Shiltz.
Shiltz is at the top of my list. He’s a quality guy who has been in the league since 2017, mostly as a backup. His 2021 passing and rushing stats were almost identical to Rourke’s but he won’t be coming in with expectations of making starter’s money.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Is Shlitz a FA and will Taylor Cornelius be set adrift by Jones in Edmonton?

I just checked the Elks roster and Cornelius as listed as 6'5", 232lbs. He's the purrfect body type for Chris Jones to convert to a DE or maybe a Cottoy type slotback. :wink:
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Shiltz is a pending FA who started 3 games in 2021 but was a healthy scratch for the playoffs. Herb Zurkowsky of the Montreal Gazette recently wrote about his dedication and character after the tragic death of his mother this offseason.

Losing mother puts football into perspective for Alouettes' Shiltz