Lions 2022 free agents

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:54 pm
It's $33K more than Reggie Begelton, another elite receiver, which is a lot...BUT Lucky can also return kicks and punts if need be and is more electrifying (ergo: more marketable), so there's that.

DH :cool:
That little part in brackets is huge for a team trying to get some traction in the market. If the Lions don't find a source for 10,000+ little beanies with propellers and little backpacks for the kids for a Lucky promo night they'll never figure it out.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:43 pm
David wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:54 pm
It's $33K more than Reggie Begelton, another elite receiver, which is a lot...BUT Lucky can also return kicks and punts if need be and is more electrifying (ergo: more marketable), so there's that.

That little part in brackets is huge for a team trying to get some traction in the market. If the Lions don't find a source for 10,000+ little beanies with propellers and little backpacks for the kids for a Lucky promo night they'll never figure it out.
A 10,000 beanies with propellers give away is a brilliant idea that Hambone, you should email or other means, contact the Lions marketing dept.

An electrifying player with an off beat, quirky personality is exactly what the Lions marketing needs to promote and optimize.
Islander
prospect

This is indeed good news. I'm wondering if it spells the end of Burnham's time in B.C. It felt almost as though Whitehead usurped Burham as the Lions go-to target. Combine that with too many losing seasons for a receiver nearing the end of his career, and I wouldn't be surprised if Burham walked and tested the market to go to a team more poised to be a winner. I suppose the other major factor there would be whether or not Reilly chooses to finish his contract or retire.
David
Team Captain

I'd hate to see the end of Burnham's reign here in B.C.; if he retired as a Lion I would be happy. But I am wondering if that money would be better spent elsewhere? Line-of-scrimmage anyone?

Lucky was a priority as he takes the top off a defense with his speed. We need to lock up Cottoy as he still has a high ceiling and is a National. We re-signed WR Rhymes and I believe Durant is still under contract. That leaves Burnham and the more cap-friendly Shaq Johnson as the unsigned free agents.

I guess we have two options. Release Durant and take that money to re-up Burnham or part ways with Burnham (and renegotiate Durant's deal) and find a lower-priced FA slot, either on the CFL market or down south.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:13 pm
I'd hate to see the end of Burnham's reign here in B.C.; if he retired as a Lion I would be happy. But I am wondering if that money would be better spent elsewhere? Line-of-scrimmage anyone?

Lucky was a priority as he takes the top off a defense with his speed. We need to lock up Cottoy as he still has a high ceiling and is a National. We re-signed WR Rhymes and I believe Durant is still under contract. That leaves Burnham and the more cap-friendly Shaq Johnson as the unsigned free agents.

I guess we have two options. Release Durant and take that money to re-up Burnham or part ways with Burnham (and renegotiate Durant's deal) and find a lower-priced FA slot, either on the CFL market or down south.

I would hope a renegotiation of Durant's deal would be happening regardless of what happens with Burnham or Cottoy. To be worth his $175k stipend he'd need to turn in a 1000 yard season which he has yet to do in 6 years. To do that he'd need to stay healthy for all 18 games, another thing he has been unable to pull off in 6 seasons.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Lions already have a presumably low priced WR in Keon Hatcher who did not look out of place in the games he got into as a rookie in 2021. At age 27 he comes with something like 3 or 4 seasons of NFL PR experience and likely no longer chasing the NFL dream.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 5:24 pm

I would hope a renegotiation of Durant's deal would be happening regardless of what happens with Burnham or Cottoy. To be worth his $175k stipend he'd need to turn in a 1000 yard season which he has yet to do in 6 years. To do that he'd need to stay healthy for all 18 games, another thing he has been unable to pull off in 6 seasons.
Sure hope so Hambone as they can only spend so much on receivers given they need to upgrade elsewhere. Right now it’s $100,000 Rhymes, $175,000 Durant & $200,000 Whitehead.
I’m guessing it would take $150,000 to extend Cottoy who arguably has an even greater upside than what Durant showed in Calgary to get his initial BC contract.
Even outright releasing Durant if Cottoy extends, I don’t see any money for Burnham. Not if they want extensive upgrades on the interior lines.

Would love to know what it took to extend Chungh. He made $260,000 in 2019. Agreed to a significant cut in 2021 ($165,000). Did he really agree to take less to extend well before February?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I dont know the dollars and cents of it all, but I believe that it should not be a matter of finding more money to spend but finding better players and staff to spend it on. Lots of players making same money outperformed lions players at same position.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
David
Team Captain

It used to be that we could sign players on "hometown discounts" but it doesn't seem as possible these days. In those days, it was a winning culture, guys like being here, and they could almost always count on playoff money, much like the Bombers today.

Other than Burnham's last contract, there haven't been too many value deals. People like to scapegoat Reilly (why, I'm still not entirely sure), but IMO we really overpaid Sukh Chungh and Lemar Durant on their last deals. Two locals.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/football/cfl/ ... -1.5897071

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The common denominator in those 3 contracts is Ed Hervey.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

TJ Lee who officially signed a contract extension yesterday (1 year I believe) speaks of his hopes and relationships regards Bryan Burnham and Ryan Philips. https://3downnation.com/2022/01/12/t-j- ... n-burnham/
SammyGreene
Team Captain

So as we wait and wonder about Bryan Burnham's future as a BC Lion:
Lions Add American WRs ArDarius Stewart And Josh Pearson

(Vancouver)- The BC Lions this morning announced the signings of American wide receivers ArDarius Stewart and Josh Pearson.

Stewart- the native of Fultdondale, Alabama most recently was a member of the Winnipeg Blue Bombers’ practice squad for part of 2021 after originally signing with the team in early 2020.

Stewart brings plenty of big-game experience after suiting up in 40 games over three seasons (2014-16) at Alabama. He made two receptions for 63 yards to help take down Clemson in the College Football Playoff National Championship in January 2016 and also helped the Crimson Tide win three SEC titles. Stewart caught 129 receptions for 1,713 yards and 12 touchdowns in 40 total games with Alabama.

Stewart was then drafted in round three, 79th overall, by the New York Jets in 2017 and suited up in 15 games in his rookie campaign while recording six receptions for 82 yards. After being waived in September 2018, Stewart spent time on both the Oakland and Washington practice squads.

Pearson- signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent in May 2020 and was activated for a week five contest against the Chicago Bears. Pearson spent the remainder of 2020 on the practice squad and would earn a Super Bowl ring before being waived during 2021 training camp.

Pearson attended Jacksonville State from 2017-19 and led the Gamecocks in all receiving categories in his junior season with 67 catches for 1,123 yards and 17 touchdowns. He was named a First Team All-American by the Associated Press.

The Decatur, Alabama native followed that up with a 943-yard performance and 13 more touchdowns in his senior year.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

What Farhan Lalji has to say, as quoted in this article, strikes me as an honest appraisal of the situation, both for Burnham and for the Lions. It's interesting how the points of view vary re Burnham among the sampling of GMs who Lalji spoke with. Respected as he is, some see him primarily as a 31-year-old who can't separate anymore and thus has to fight for and win those contested balls. That may be the hard truth. Dunno. But my heart still very much wants him on my team! Though my mind wonders... what about our dire needs in the trenches? At times like this I wish we'd simply ignore the salary cap and pay the eventual fine! Damn the torpedoes--full speed ahead! LOL. https://3downnation.com/2022/01/16/pric ... ely-lalji/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:20 pm
What Farhan Lalji has to say, as quoted in this article, strikes me as an honest appraisal of the situation, both for Burnham and for the Lions. It's interesting how the points of view vary re Burnham among the sampling of GMs who Lalji spoke with. Respected as he is, some see him primarily as a 31-year-old who can't separate anymore and thus has to fight for and win those contested balls. That may be the hard truth. Dunno. But my heart still very much wants him on my team! Though my mind wonders... what about our dire needs in the trenches? At times like this I wish we'd simply ignore the salary cap and pay the eventual fine! Damn the torpedoes--full speed ahead! LOL. https://3downnation.com/2022/01/16/pric ... ely-lalji/
Burnham has never had the speed to outrun anyone or gain separation. He ranked outside the top 10 in yards after the catch in 2021 but he still catches contested balls and extends drives as well as anyone. His stats while playing hurt for at least part of the year speak for themselves:
Catches: 67 (1st)
Yards: 965 (2nd)
2nd down conversions: 24 (T-2nd)
30-yard cathes: 24 (T-2nd)

With Luclky Whitehead under contract for a reported $200,000 and Lemar Durant for $170,000, Burnham's 2021 salary of $135,000 looks like a bargain. He deserves a big raise wherever he signs.
Dusty
Champion

If it comes down to Durant or Burnham at $170,000, the choice of Burnham is obvious, even with the nationality issue.