Update: Michael Reilly retires

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Vertlieb was the guy who orchestrated the Great QB Carousel of 2019. Edmonton was the only team competing with BC for Reilly. Toronto was going hard after BLM. The rest I think were taking a pass on those two and concentrating on the 2nd and much cheaper tier like Harris and whoever else might have shaken loose.

Nobody will be interested in picking up the last year of Reilly's deal in trade unless they feel they can rework it into a 2 or 3 year deal. I also don't see any near-contenders who would see him as a missing piece. Cgy, Ssk and Wpg are set. Ham will make a choice between Masoli and Evans. Mtl won't discard Adams who is about 8 years younger for 1 year of Reilly. Reilly won't turn Ott or Edm around in 1 year. That leaves Tor who is likely far more interested in whomever of Masoli and Evans draws the short straw in Ham.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Interesting how Reilly has become a lightning rod and target.

Currently:
Passing yards - 1st with 3283 - Collaros is #2 with 3112
TD passes - 2nd - tied with Fajardo at 14 - Collaros leads with 20
Completion % - 69.0 - 4th behind Collaros 70.2, Fajardo & Harris tied for 2nd at 69.6
Int % - 1st at 1.5% - Collaros is #2 at 1.8%, Masoli is #3 a 2.4%
Efficiency - 2nd at 99.2 - Collaros leads at 111.6
300 yard games - 1st with 6 - Masoli has 4, Adams has 3. Nobody else has more than 2.

All this despite an arm that may never have been 100% at any point, no running game support, woeful FG kicking and generally poor special teams (9th in punt ret ave, 8th in opposition punt ret ave) and (4th in KO ret ave, 9th in opposition KO ret ave)

Of note on the opposition punt return stat unfortunately I have to hang some of that on Flintoft. While he may lead the CFL in punting average he tends to deliver low driving kicks that lack the crucial hang time of Richie Leone punts. Hence while his 48.3 ave beats Leone's 47.0 Richie enjoys a 41.3 net compared to Flintoft's 37.8.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:00 pm
Vertlieb was the guy who orchestrated the Great QB Carousel of 2019. Edmonton was the only team competing with BC for Reilly. Toronto was going hard after BLM. The rest I think were taking a pass on those two and concentrating on the 2nd and much cheaper tier like Harris and whoever else might have shaken loose.

Nobody will be interested in picking up the last year of Reilly's deal in trade unless they feel they can rework it into a 2 or 3 year deal. I also don't see any near-contenders who would see him as a missing piece. Cgy, Ssk and Wpg are set. Ham will make a choice between Masoli and Evans. Mtl won't discard Adams who is about 8 years younger for 1 year of Reilly. Reilly won't turn Ott or Edm around in 1 year. That leaves Tor who is likely far more interested in whomever of Masoli and Evans draws the short straw in Ham.
I wouldn't even begin to think of Reilly in a QB for QB swap. Like you, I think most teams that are close have that issue solved, they may however have some abundance of wealth in other areas that we might need. Either in prospects, maybe a lineman here or their. Those teams however might really want the extra insurance of a having a top tier QB on the roster at least for a season where you think you have a real shot and where injuries happen all the time. And maybe the Lions pick up some of his salary. Only if it make sense mind you but that would be at least plausible if not probable
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:41 am
Interesting how Reilly has become a lightning rod and target.

Currently:
Passing yards - 1st with 3283 - Collaros is #2 with 3112
TD passes - 2nd - tied with Fajardo at 14 - Collaros leads with 20
Completion % - 69.0 - 4th behind Collaros 70.2, Fajardo & Harris tied for 2nd at 69.6
Int % - 1st at 1.5% - Collaros is #2 at 1.8%, Masoli is #3 a 2.4%
Efficiency - 2nd at 99.2 - Collaros leads at 111.6
300 yard games - 1st with 6 - Masoli has 4, Adams has 3. Nobody else has more than 2.

All this despite an arm that may never have been 100% at any point, no running game support, woeful FG kicking and generally poor special teams (9th in punt ret ave, 8th in opposition punt ret ave) and (4th in KO ret ave, 9th in opposition KO ret ave)

Of note on the opposition punt return stat unfortunately I have to hang some of that on Flintoft. While he may lead the CFL in punting average he tends to deliver low driving kicks that lack the crucial hang time of Richie Leone punts. Hence while his 48.3 ave beats Leone's 47.0 Richie enjoys a 41.3 net compared to Flintoft's 37.8.
Part of the reasons for those stats unfortunately are the following:

Reilly has always been a passing QB. He loves the pass and uses it ... a lot.

You said it yourself, the Lions have had no running game. When you don't have a running game, you have really no choice but to pass ... a lot.

We have a lousy Oline. We have had to pass out of desperation. It has either been pass or get sacked for a loss.

With the pathetic kicking game, we have taken chances that we might not take otherwise. Rather than take the 3 points, we have gambled on 3rd down. Or 2 point converts. More passes, more attempts.

It is also worth pointing out that we 7th in points scored on offense. 8th in number of plays on Offense, 7th in points per game, 5th in yards per game played. We've also given up more safeties than any other team while kicking.

His performance is in no small part a miracle given what he has had to work with but it still isn't enough. There are too many problems on this team to realistically justify keeping him around at his pay grade. That may not be his fault but at the end of the day if you are going rebuild partly through scouting, drafting and F/A, better to have some more $$ to play with. Of course, if he were willing to renegotiate, that might be an option. I don't dislike the man or what he brings to the team, but at this stage, he isn't enough to carry this team with all it's flaws. Nobody probably is. Fix the glaring line issues and run issues and kicking issues. Even a halfway talented QB is going to do better under that scenario than a great QB under the current scenario.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:17 pm

I wouldn't even begin to think of Reilly in a QB for QB swap. Like you, I think most teams that are close have that issue solved, they may however have some abundance of wealth in other areas that we might need. Either in prospects, maybe a lineman here or their. Those teams however might really want the extra insurance of a having a top tier QB on the roster at least for a season where you think you have a real shot and where injuries happen all the time. And maybe the Lions pick up some of his salary. Only if it make sense mind you but that would be at least plausible if not probable
Which becomes the Catch 22. Any team acquiring him would have to instill him as clear #1 and get rid of anybody carrying more than career backup money. None of those who are already as good as having their QB issues solved can afford the cost of a Reilly insurance policy unless Reilly is willing to take a 75% pay cut to be in a backup role. You either get Reilly to be your starter or you have to pass.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Another reason for Reilly's statistics is that the Lions trailed in most games - by alot. Reilly has no real alternative than to pass. A pathetic running game who have difficulties mustering 5 yards per carry isn't going to get it done.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Reilly officially finished the season as the CFL passing leader with 3,283 yards in 13 games despite playing hurt and having limited practice reps all season. He tied for second in TD passes with 14, was second in completions with 276 and had the CFL’s best interception ratio of 1.5%. If healthy and he wants to play, he can remain one of the league’s top QBs for years.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

The riddle that needs to be answered with Reilly is just what was the problem with his arm/elbow. Regardless of sport injuries are largely secretive things. Not much leaks out during the season but shortly after it's over we find out the true extent and perhaps what surgery is required to fix the problem. My sense of Reilly's problem this year is that it's soft tissue as opposed to structural. By that I mean tendon, ligament or nerve. Is it a case of rest and hope for the best? Or is some sort of surgery required like maybe even Tommy John surgery? If it was that then he'd be out for 2022 and most likely his career would be over.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Reilly had a family commitment and was unavailable for yesterday’s season end interviews. Little surprising given it would be playoff preparation week had the season gone differently. He is a great interview and so candid that perhaps it was too soon to talk about 2022. And as Hambone mentioned who knows what needs to happen for his elbow to be 100 percent.

Even McElvoy was unsure what he is going to do, saying last couple of years this has been Reilly’s process as he reaches his late 30s.
McElvoy and Campbell admitted some key veteran pieces are needed for what they believe is a team that is close. In great position to do it being “well under the salary cap.”

Really interested to see all their contractual obligations heading into next season.

#1 priority has to be locking up Whitehead well before he hits free agency. Hopefully before January and start promoting him for 2022 season tickets. Burnham should be taken care of too and ideally convince Cottoy the Lions and the CFL is where he needs to be long term.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

One concern I have about Burnham is how attached he seems to have become with Reilly. If Reilly and the Lions happen to part ways with Reilly suiting up elsewhere I wonder if Burnham might not follow him ala Darren Flutie following along wherever Danny McManus went and other instances of receivers seeming to tag along with their QB.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Hambone wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 1:14 pm
One concern I have about Burnham is how attached he seems to have become with Reilly. If Reilly and the Lions happen to part ways with Reilly suiting up elsewhere I wonder if Burnham might not follow him ala Darren Flutie following along wherever Danny McManus went and other instances of receivers seeming to tag along with their QB.
With Reilly having a home in Seattle, It's the Lions home town discount that I'm counting on. :cr:
I'm thinking that both Burnham and Whitehead want to stay (as long as the money is there) to catch passes from either Reilly OR Rourke.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

According to Global, Reilly will earn $750,000 next season.
BC 1988
Legend

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:52 am
Reilly had a family commitment and was unavailable for yesterday’s season end interviews. Little surprising given it would be playoff preparation week had the season gone differently. He is a great interview and so candid that perhaps it was too soon to talk about 2022. And as Hambone mentioned who knows what needs to happen for his elbow to be 100 percent.

Even McElvoy was unsure what he is going to do, saying last couple of years this has been Reilly’s process as he reaches his late 30s.
McElvoy and Campbell admitted some key veteran pieces are needed for what they believe is a team that is close. In great position to do it being “well under the salary cap.”

Really interested to see all their contractual obligations heading into next season.

#1 priority has to be locking up Whitehead well before he hits free agency. Hopefully before January and start promoting him for 2022 season tickets. Burnham should be taken care of too and ideally convince Cottoy the Lions and the CFL is where he needs to be long term.
There's no way the Lions can plan to do the "pitch count" nonsense again in training camp, and have Reilly getting his elbow shot up to be able to start a game for half the season (producing a Benny Hill situation in a couple of games where Rourke was going to be tossed in as the starter with no warning).

OR CAN THEY?

It's unbelievable how much hardcore Lions fans can convince themselves we should be grateful to have a nearly crippled QB who is willing to put his body on the line like this. Hey, he was the #1 QB in the league!! For the casual fan witnessing what happened it just looked like a circus.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

No one doubts the guts or commitment of Reilly and he certainly appears to be a down to earth individual. In short people like him and I don't blame them as I like him too. But in the game of football, your head sometimes needs to rule the heart. Too much either way can be a problem but the goal of management is to field the best team possible and regardless of his stats, if the best thing going forward for this team is to cut ties with Reilly, then that is what must happen. By the same token, if keeping him moves the team forward then that is what they should do. Honestly, if that salary figure is accurate, it is too much for a 37 year old banged up QB. Mileage takes a toll on players and another year isn't likely going to help matters especially considering he basically started injured out of the gate this season after having the equivalent of a whole season off.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Signing Whitehead has to be the top priority. The only thing that could make a high salary for Lucky and Reilly and Burnham possible is that Rourke will still be on a rookie salary as will Butler and half the D.