Lions at Argos Oct. 30, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:33 pm
Well the kicker is essentially part of tbe offense. 1 miss okay but 3? This game shouldn't have even gotten to overtime despite a marginal offense so yes the kicker screwed the pooch on this and unfortunately it isn't the first time. Kicking has cost us games and basically killed thei season.
It shouldn't have gone to overtime but did because Dinwiddie couldn't count the time left in the last 45 seconds. That's a brain fart that Wally would have been proud of.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yeah, no way I consider the Lions offence was good enough to win this game, regardless of the missed field-goals fiasco. It seemed there were an awful lot of 2-and-outs, very few sustained drives, and Reilly's passing stat for the game reads 52.6% completion rate. Also the Argos had considerably more time of possession. Not much to get exited about in any of that IMO. Not much to pin one's hopes on if that's the level of success on offence. Anyhow... like I said several games ago, we were/are in Calgary's rear-view mirror and our image is rapidly receding, soon to be but a minuscule dot. The suspense is over.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Flintoft hasn’t kicked FGs since high school but at this point does it matter? The shoes are not exactly big to fill
Might as well use Camacho’s roster spot for an extra American DB/LB that could at least help on kick coverage.
dtrain
Starter

swervynmerv wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:40 pm
Reilly is not the QB he used to be. Injuries and age catch up with the best of them. Combine that with his stubbornness of wanting to consistently go for the “big throw” and it’s probably time to move on.

Would I bring him back? Maybe but it would be at a significant pay cut with the understanding his role is that of a mentor to Rourke and begin his transition to coaching if he wants it.

I can see him being a successful OC one day.

Dewalt, Printers, Dickinson, Pierce, Lulay and Reilly himself were all young QB’s that we had never really heard of. Everyone needs to start somewhere and in my opinion, it’s time to look at life after Reilly. For many reasons, not all his, the signing didn’t work out.

The Lions have many holes to fill going into next year but grooming the “next one” is imperative.

That and find a bloody kicker that make a 30yd FG🙈🤣
Totally agree on Reilly: only makes sense to bring him back for much less $, and with the understanding of mentoring in the next guy, whether it’s Rouke or not.
I’m not renewing season tickets after 18 years, need to see some major changes throughout the organization.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:58 pm
Flintoft hasn’t kicked FGs since high school but at this point does it matter? The shoes are not exactly big to fill
Might as well use Camacho’s roster spot for an extra American DB/LB that could at least help on kick coverage.
Flintoft may be the best option to kick next week. He lost the kicking job to Yamasaki in training camp but that decision was manly based on the latter's global status. Flintoft already punts, kicks off and holds for field goals. The Lions would need a new holder.

Despite the loss, the Lions can still make the playoffs. They would have to win their final 3 games or beat Calgary and one other team and hope the Stamps lose to Winnipeg. They also need to avoid a 3-way tie with Saskatchewan and Calgary. The Lions would be fourth in that situation.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

dtrain wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:14 pm

I’m not renewing season tickets after 18 years, need to see some major changes throughout the organization.
Likewise, I'm emailing my ticket rep not to roll over my credit for 2022 season tickets unless I see major changes in the off season. Not an easy decision after decades of being a loyal season ticket holder.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:06 pm
What is Yamasaki doing these days ?
Seriously, bringing Yamasaki in for some more experience with the goal of possibly another camp invite next year and cutting Camacho, frees up an American spot on the roster.

While the Lions may not yet be mathematically out of the playoffs, they realistically are not making the playoffs and there are now a lot of guys that are rookies or 2nd year players that are now playing for their jobs.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I appreciate your optimism BC Fan, but I disagree with you. Lions are a bad team. Their record shows that. I am not convinced Lions will cut their kicker despite missing 3 field goals. He should be cut, but not convinced he will be. Lions also are done. No way they beat Hamilton in Hamilton. That could be another blowout loss, for Hamilton is a far better team than Toronto and has a better QB. Lions may just mail it in now that they are basically done and after another heartbreaking loss. I am not even sure they can beat Edmonton in the last game of the year.

Lions should have done a better job recruiting a kicker than hoping a Global guy could do the job than looking for a replacement few games in. They need to draft a kicker. Just remember how many games including the Grep Cup, Lou won for us. They messed up big time not getting a good kicker and it has cost them a playoff spot.

What this new owner does in offseason is a wild card. No one knows if he will stay pat or clean house. But surely he must see the product is not sellable and they cannot stay status quo in the offseason. Reilly or Campbell or both will likely be gone.
Fan7
Rookie

Let’s be real here, this is not professional football. Flat footed QB that cannot recognize blitz or anticipate pressure. No other football league from peewee to NFL do you have your QB take the snap and stand flat footed waiting for a deep route. I could drop by a high school game and find a more competent kicker. There is enough talent at receiver to spread the field, run hitches, receiver screens, intermediate routes etc. But no, stand flat footed and wait to launch the deep ball. When you do get the chance to launch, you can’t get it there. As bad as this league is, it is still a quarterback driven league. Riley is not the overpriced answer. The suggestion of Riley’s potential to be a great OC, what is this based on? As I previously have posted this team has killed the CFL in British Columbia. Too sad, but true.
Fan7
Rookie

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:10 pm
It like watching two slugs to see who is slowest. Money is on BC
Too true.
maxlion
Legend

Camacho made 13 of his first 14 field goal attempts. In his past three games, he has been successful on only 1 of 6 attempts. He looked great early but has clearly lost his confidence. That is too bad. He may still have a good career in the CFL, but it is difficult to rely on him at this point. But at this point, it probably doesn't matter what the team does.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

The shotgun formation was devised ostensibly to give quarterbacks playing behind a weak offensive line more time to throw. Yet with the Lions they still allow sacks. Can be attributed to the quarterback holding on to the ball while trying to go deep. Have Myksmic or Reilly ever heard of the short passing game ?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:12 pm
I appreciate your optimism BC Fan, but I disagree with you. Lions are a bad team. Their record shows that. I am not convinced Lions will cut their kicker despite missing 3 field goals. He should be cut, but not convinced he will be. Lions also are done. No way they beat Hamilton in Hamilton. That could be another blowout loss, for Hamilton is a far better team than Toronto and has a better QB. Lions may just mail it in now that they are basically done and after another heartbreaking loss. I am not even sure they can beat Edmonton in the last game of the year.

Lions should have done a better job recruiting a kicker than hoping a Global guy could do the job than looking for a replacement few games in. They need to draft a kicker. Just remember how many games including the Grep Cup, Lou won for us. They messed up big time not getting a good kicker and it has cost them a playoff spot.

What this new owner does in offseason is a wild card. No one knows if he will stay pat or clean house. But surely he must see the product is not sellable and they cannot stay status quo in the offseason. Reilly or Campbell or both will likely be gone.
Agreed, you are what the record say you are. Don't let the fast start by the Lions obscure the fact that they are a bad team.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:36 pm
The shotgun formation was devised ostensibly to give quarterbacks playing behind a weak offensive line more time to throw. Yet with the Lions they still allow sacks. Can be attributed to the quarterback holding on to the ball while trying to go deep. Have Myksmic or Reilly ever heard of the short passing game ?
Reilly has played a lot of short passing game. To the point where it frustrated me in both ED and here. In ED, I blamed it on Maas. Here, crappy oline and OC. If anything, they may be trying to overcome having the need to do that just because of the oline
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Luck1sOnOurSid3
Rookie

KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:51 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:36 pm
Reilly has played a lot of short passing game. To the point where it frustrated me in both ED and here. In ED, I blamed it on Maas. Here, crappy oline and OC. If anything, they may be trying to overcome having the need to do that just because of the oline
I think the problem is DCs know that if they bring heat, they will get to Reilly quickly so they keep their secondary shallow to take away the short passing game. It’s easy to sit here and say we rely on the deep ball, but when DCs know they can take away the shallow and intermediate game effectively with shallow coverage and heat, you have to hope you can burn them over the top enough times to make them soften their coverage.

We had success early in the season because Lucky was a threat to blow the top off a defense any play he was on the field. Our offensive line right now can’t pick up a blitz to punish heat, so we are in an offensive struggle.

That being said, our offense did enough to win this game. Our kicker let us down. Not really sure how you can blame Reilly for it all like some want to when we don’t have a running game and can’t effectively pick up a blitz and when we do get in a position to score points we can’t knock down a kick.