Was Campbell the Right hire

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

When Campbell was hired I felt the Lions went with the safe choice passing on guys like Lapolice. The Lions look like Ottawa did in Campbell's final year there. Many blamed their GM and losing Harris and not Campbell. But now it is pretty clear Campbell's Lions are no better than his Redblacks in his final year. I was concerned they went with basically all rookies on the DL and only one experienced guy. Also how big a blow was it to lose Leroy Blugh? His replacement only just retired and was not expected to run the DL and clearly over his head. I think in the offseason, a new DL will be hired, but that likely will not be all.

But the question remains was Campbell the wrong hire and will the Lions fire their coach for the 2nd year in a row if the Lions end the year with another 4 or 5 win season.

The good news is we finally have a new owner and will he want to bring in his own guys if this team ends the year again with a very poor season?
maxlion
Legend

I can't assess whether hiring Campbell was the right move or not for two reasons:

1. I have no direct knowledge of how he runs the team and interacts with staff and players.

2. There are so many factors that go into building a team. This year is especially hard to assess with covid, new owner, firing Hervey, the CFL management cap, etc..

To the casual fan like me, it is easy to conclude that he looks helpless on the sideline, but I am reluctant to judge him on that.

In the end, he will be judged on his results. I think the jury is still out.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

At the time I though it was a good hire. As this season progresses I am more and more leaning toward being a bad hire. His assistants either can't or won't make meaningful adjustments. The same problems emerge game after game - poor offensive and defensive line play, poor tackling, no running game, opposing teams exploiting our intermediate areas, quarterback holding on to the ball too long and subsequent getting sacked.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Definitely not right the hire as co-GM and same goes with McElvoy who was fine re-signing or retaining a lot of the key core players that led them nowhere 2 years ago.
They need to go outside the organization like Danny McManus Bombers assistant GM & director of pro scouting
Fan7
Rookie

A Coach with a 42% winning percentage , really? We’re surprised at the team’s performance. Honestly his last season in Ottawa should have prevented him from ever being a HC again. Hire a looser and then be surprised you’re loosing.
David
Team Captain

I don't know how you can move forward with this guy. I know the football club was fragile after the heartbreaking loss to the Riders and subsequently lost their mojo, but you can't hang onto a coach with this level of ineptitude on the field.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The decision on Campbell is all going to come to the new ownership. What I suspect is that Doman, owing to his relative newness, may be inclined to give Campbell another year. Yes the Lions look bad but one virus shortened season isn't really enough to judge him on, not if you are being fair at least. It may not be the right move but it is possible that time and stability will begin to win the day. Campbell is wearing too many hats right now and if anything, a new GM is in order and let him make the call on Campbell. We should start looking for candidates now and free up Campbell to focus on the job of coaching.

If we have another futile season after this, then Campbell is gone. In the meantime, there are some other issues to address. Does Reilly stay around for another season at any price? He isn't worth top of the league salary despite the acknowledgement that many of the problems aren't his fault. But he is clearly slowing down, his injuries and age are hampering his abilities to move and our Oline is too porous to allow him to be most effective.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I am not sure if Campbell is the right hire so I would be inclined to give him another year.
However:
1st year OC/play caller
1st year play caller on D
Rookie O line, MLB, CB, DB, RB, kicker, punter, GM

This is a less experienced. less talented team that most expansion franchises.

I am glad Reilly is out there taking all the hits vs having a rookie QB like Rourke out there getting shell shocked.

One dimensional long pass O with no running game and no quick release short passing game is easy for the opponents to defend.

The Lions D have done OK defending the long pass but are easy to beat with a short passing game and the run.

After the worst performance in 50 years, its not hard to think that the Lions could go winless from here on out.

The new owner needs to realize that there is just about nothing about his new team worth paying $ to watch.