Stamps at Lions Oct. 16, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Rick Campbell is stubborn. He has said he would prefer if Rourke didn’t play at all this year because Reilly is his QB. At least he has relented and inserted some packages for Rourke. I don’t expect the Lions to turn away from Reilly this year unless his health dictates it but I would love to see Rourke brought in regularly for a change of pace as the Lions used Buck Pierce in 2006 and Winnipeg used Chris Streveler in 2019. In both cases the strategy was instrumental in winning a Grey Cup.

Campbell’s stubbornness was also evident in his use ofJevon Cottoy exclusively as a special teamer from the outset of training camp until injuries to Lemar Durant and Dominique Rhymes forced his hand. Cottoy has since been one of the Lions’ most dependable receivers, with 27 catches for 357 yards in 6 games, the equivalent of over 80 catches and 1,000 yards over a regular 18-game season. He’s also still playing key roles on the kick return and punt teams.

I wish Campbell would also see the shortcomings of his offensive and defensive lines but that might have to wait for the offseason.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:15 pm
Rick Campbell is stubborn. He has said he would prefer if Rourke didn’t play at all this year because Reilly is his QB. At least he has relented and inserted some packages for Rourke. I don’t expect the Lions to turn away from Reilly this year unless his health dictates it but I would love to see Rourke brought in regularly for a change of pace as the Lions used Buck Pierce in 2006 and Winnipeg used Chris Streveler in 2019. In both cases the strategy was instrumental in winning a Grey Cup.

Campbell’s stubbornness was also evident in his use ofJevon Cottoy exclusively as a special teamer from the outset of training camp until injuries to Lemar Durant and Dominique Rhymes forced his hand. Cottoy has since been one of the Lions’ most dependable receivers, with 27 catches for 357 yards in 6 games, the equivalent of over 80 catches and 1,000 yards over a regular 18-game season. He’s also still playing key roles on the kick return and punt teams.

I wish Campbell would also see the shortcomings of his offensive and defensive lines but that might have to wait for the offseason.
Their have been Hall of Famers who were benched when the couldn't move the offense. If Rourke gives the offense a spark, than leave him in.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Farhan has dwelled on this a few times this season on how the Lions have laid an egg in a “big game” scenario at BC Place.

Not all were poor performances but Lions haven’t beaten a Western team at home since Posey’s 3 TD game to defeat Edmonton on Oct. 19, 2018.
Since then:
2018: 0-1
2019: 0-5
2021: 0-4

Streak should have ended against the Riders and that loss has turned into a snowball. As Farhan alludes to it’s hard to get traction in this market with that kind of home record in key divisional games no matter how many good things the club is doing off the field. Especially at this time of year in the sports world.
David
Team Captain

I remember how hard it used to be for teams to come to B.C. Place. As one of the players once stated (and I may be loosely paraphrasing Ryan Phillips here), we'd be up a touchdown before the game had started.

Contrast that to today where the Lions have dropped seven of their last eight home games (thank God for Ottawa). And the double gut-punch to paying customers Saturday (in addition to the loss) was how listless the team appeared. There's no question that their confidence was badly shaken blowing that big late lead to Saskatchewan and these things have a tendency to snowball.

They're just not getting much of a spark from a half-full Lower Bowl. But the Catch-22 is that until they perform better at B.C. Place, it's not likely to change.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

https://3downnation.com/2021/10/18/b-c- ... n-thomson/
Lions just added Americans QB Kevin Thomson and DL Shakir Soto.

Both are ready to participate in practice Tuesday having completed the necessary COVID protocols.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Rick Campbell is a predictable, same old, limited thinking, typical CFL re-tread coaching hire. Very poor hire IMO. Maybe the new owner has some football thoughts of his own or will bring in some people to advise him who aren't CFL sycophants.

Campbell only knows same old offence of today's CFL: QB always in shot-gun; huge reliance on the passing game (without much downfield or deep ball passing); very little ground game or diversity. And when you have a weak O-line, a tired older QB and no run game threat with weak RBs, AND you run a very predictable offence - guess what is going to happen.

And his defence this season was typical with what he had in Ottawa - all sorts of new, young American players handed jobs, and they aren't good enough. At least they have a few real good D players sprinkled thru the line-up (Lokombo, TJ Lee is a stud; Williams very impressive new MLB) - more talent than Ottawa had, but not near good enough.

This Lions team problems are way more on coaching smarts than on football talent though IMO. But, Rourke has the makings of a star young CFL QB IMO, and retain some of the solid players and add some new talent in an off-season - not like they are the dumpster fire teams we see in Ottawa and Edmonton this season, IMO. A sharp GM and scouting staff can find good new talent; not much about coaching smarts is going to be improved if Campbell is retained.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

On the topic of new, young players, I thought Austin Joyner was having a great first game at SAM, with three tackles and a pass knockdown in the first quarter and a half before he was replaced by Anthony Cioffi for the rest of the game. I didn't hear anything about an injury. Does anyone know what happened to him?
MacNews
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:12 pm
Can someone confirm that Chapdelaine and Chap Ball is back with the Lions ? Can't believe Mike Reilly's post game comment that he thought the offensive line played well. Really ?? He was standing in the so called pocket like a pinata waiting to get hammered by the Stamps.
If he keeps getting hammered like that we may see Rourke whether Coach Campbell likes it or not.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 2:21 pm
On the topic of new, young players, I thought Austin Joyner was having a great first game at SAM, with three tackles and a pass knockdown in the first quarter and a half before he was replaced by Anthony Cioffi for the rest of the game. I didn't hear anything about an injury. Does anyone know what happened to him?
Must have gotten knicked up. I noticed him standing down on the sidelines in front of me by himself.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

Here are the changes I would like to see in the defensive backfield:

Leave Lee and Peters where they are at boundary half and corner respectively. This is a shutdown pairing. I can only imagine how great they'd be if QBs didn't have so much time in the pocket to find open receivers.

Move Marcus Sayles to field halfback. He was an All-Star halfback with Winnipeg. Why did we ever move him in the first place?

Put KiAnte Hardin at field corner.

Move Cioffi to safety. While he's not a great cover guy, he does have really good instincts around the ball and is an aggressive hitter. Didn't he get signed by the NY Jets to try out at that position?

Put either Jalon Edwards-Cooper or Austin Joyner at SAM linebacker. Possibly the latter as he's a slightly bigger frame. Cooper's cover skills impressed earlier in the season but teams seem to be picking on him a bit.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 10:14 am

And the double gut-punch to paying customers Saturday (in addition to the loss) was how listless the team appeared.

I've moved across to the other side of the field to 213 this year to stay behind the BC bench. With about 2 minutes left in the first half I overheard the couple beside me contemplating how long they might stick it out for this game. I mentioned to them that just a couple minutes earlier I had been thinking "this game is starting to feel like the Winnipeg game". His subsequent comment totally echoed yours David. He pointed out how the team seemed lifeless with no energy. They stuck it out until the end of the 3rd before vacating the premises. One of Campbell's post-game comments said the same re: the team lacking energy despite a very good week at practice.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The B.C. government has announced that capacity limits on indoor sporting events (as well as concerts, movie theatres, dance and symphony performances) will be lifted on Oct. 25, so the Lions can sell tickets for the entire lower bowl of B.C Place for their final two home games and any playoffs, if they qualify to host the Western Semi-Final. The Lions have been selling out their allowed 12,500 seats (50% capacity).
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm
The B.C. government has announced that capacity limits on indoor sporting events (as well as concerts, movie theatres, dance and symphony performances) will be lifted on Oct. 25, so the Lions can sell tickets for the entire lower bowl of B.C Place for their final two home games and any playoffs, if they qualify to host the Western Semi-Final. The Lions have been selling out their allowed 12,500 seats (50% capacity).
Great news. Now to see what the club can do to get fannies into that new inventory of available seats with the 3-1/2 weeks they have to work with.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Austin Joyner apparently suffered a calf injury in Saturday’s game. He didn’t practise Tuesday.
Neither did TJ Lee (hamstring), JR Tavai (knee) or Garry Peters (non-injury related).
https://www.bclions.com/injuryreport/
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:26 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:45 pm
Great news. Now to see what the club can do to get fannies into that new inventory of available seats with the 3-1/2 weeks they have to work with.
Thank the Canucks for this. They have been selling regular season home games at full capacity on the assumption it would be allowed in time for the home opener on the 26th. (This is partly why they started the season on the onerous road trip, since Vancouver is the only Canadian NHL venue that is still limiting. ) It would have been a very messy round of refunds if Dr Henry hadn't relaxed the limits.