Stamps at Lions Oct. 16, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Dusty
Champion

Part of me is still hopeful we can make the playoffs, but after the last two stinker games a larger part of me is seriously wondering if we can win another game. Just horrendous to sit in BC Place and watch that game and then to be royally rained on leaving the stadium..... and I thought that the Winnipeg game was the lowest that we could go..... this was worse, because Calgary is not as good as Winnipeg .... but we were even more worse than against Winnipeg.

1. Need a younger QB that can evade the rush and play him in meaningfull minutes to develop game skills.
2. Need a returner that attacks the field instead of sauntering up the field like Rainey does.
3. Need a RB that either knows how to follow blocking or runs with power and hits the hole hard enough to push a LB back on their heels
4. Need to cut #1 and replace him with someone who actually has some passion about playing. He should be ashamed to cash his game cheque.
5. Farhan called it an "ass-kicking" on the post game show. He was absolutely correct.

Moj and Julio on the post game show reviewed the stats, and for the most part, like First Downs, time of possession yard passed etc, they were pretty even.... But every indicator in the stadium had Calgary way out in front of us.

We were inept.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Good crowd tonight and some excellent features on family day. But the on field performance was deplorable. Completely overmatched. 1-4 at home with every loss to a divisional rival.

Can’t see it turning around in last 5 games. Talent isn’t there and an inexperienced coaching staff to boot. What is Doman going to do? New president very likely and I would start by hiring a GM outside of the organization and blowing up their salary cap structure. Some of their highest paid players are nowhere near good enough to justify their salaries and I’m talking about the 2 hometown boys.
Fair argument could be made on Reilly too but don’t know what the long term answer is there. But he was awful tonight
BC 1988
Legend

TheLionKing wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:24 pm
Boos are raining down on Reilly
Yes, that was significant. I was sitting next to a visiting younger CGY fan, and I actually found the game easier to watch. He's been a CFL fan since 2000, and (in between his frequent celebrations) it was interesting talking about our perspectives on the CFL game (with me being a fan since 1970.)

The most frustrating thing was how Rourke kept being put in, then back to Reilly. At some point, the Lions need to give Rourke a serious chance, when it's obvious (for whatever reason) Reilly isn't going to get it done.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I was disappointed that Rourke wasn’t put in to start the second half. Rourke gave the Lions new life every time be came in. Reilly was in a rut and didn’t trust his own vision or couldn’t deliver the ball on time and on target. It was painful to watch. To his credit, he took the blame after the game. It was his worst performance of the year but Rick Campbell was complicit for keeping him in the game when the team clearly needed a change of pace and energy.

The Lions have many problems besides quarterbacking but the inability of the offence to respond to Calgary’s scoring drives started the downward momentum slide that became an avalanche in the second half.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Yes, good on Reilly to shoulder blame, but, as you say, B.C.FAN, Coach Campbell was complicit, for that in particular, and for all else that didn't get done and sorted out in their lay-off period/preparation time; Him and his coaching staff.
But about tonight's game (and other games this season) I don't see Campbell as a particularly adept real-time game-manager. Needed adjustments don't seem to come (e.g. switch QBs for a look-see). His outward demeanor strikes me as pretty stoical, and perhaps a bit stiff and stuck in the mud, there on the sidelines. But perhaps it's just his intensity. But it leaves me wondering about a lack of free-wheeling creativity. I see other teams coming up with all manner of entertaining plays, both on offence and defence. Our Lions' brain-trust lacks imagination IMO. To what extent it's a lack of depth regards roster talent, I don't know. That's an age-old debate when things don't go well; i.e. how much fault and responsiblity falls in the lap of players and how much in the lap of coaches.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The beginning of the end in this game came with the perplexing 2 point convert attempt. Calgary then marched down the field easy peasy and took the lead. After that it was death by 1000 cuts.
A botched punt and field goal. A kick return at the beginning of the 3rd Q and eventually the D what there was of it just got gassed. It has got to be pretty hard to play on a part of a team and watch as the othe facets crap the bed again and again putting you farther behind. And giving you a bad hand again and again.

Next time they get a bye they should decline.

I dont know why a bunch of professional athletes appear to mail it in week after week. If nothing else they are now playing for next years jobs because we appear to have a plethora of players who might be backups playing on the first team.
OReilly was supposed to.be part of our solution but I am more and more convinced that the only time he is really effective is behind a rock solid Oline or when facing a poor defence. He isn't" going to lead this team out of the darkness and while he is a quality player, he isn't worth the salary he is being paid.

I don't know what it is going to take to get this team to be something we can be excited about. But this current edition is not it. I don't" want this team to be the next challenger for the Winnipeg futility cup but we appear to be well on our way.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Oh and one other thing. How hard is it to.get some quality kickers? I mean if punting is going to be an adventure, i would just as soon.pay some local kid to be marginal instead of importing guys from halfway around the world. And everytime we miss what should an gimme field goal, you might as well stick a knife in any momentum you might have.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
David
Team Captain

TheLionKing wrote:
Funny, but I didn't hear much at all. Fans in attendance were remarkably forgiving and restrained given the effort and score. Not sure if fans' expectations are so low now from years of mediocre product but it's like attending a Vancouver Canadians game. Home team wins? Bonus. If they lose? Big whoop.

People seem to have a great time entertaining themselves (on the Jumbotron and watching the fun promos that Game Day Ops puts together), regardless of what the scoreboard reads.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Spud387
Champion

David wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:57 pm
TheLionKing wrote:
Funny, but I didn't hear much at all. Fans in attendance were remarkably forgiving and restrained given the effort and score. Not sure if fans' expectations are so low now from years of mediocre product but it's like attending a Vancouver Canadians game. Home team wins? Bonus. If they lose? Big whoop.

People seem to have a great time entertaining themselves (on the Jumbotron and watching the fun promos that Game Day Ops puts together), regardless of what the scoreboard reads.

I was there, definitely heard the boos directed at the offense in the latter 3rd and during 4th quarters.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Can someone confirm that Chapdelaine and Chap Ball is back with the Lions ? Can't believe Mike Reilly's post game comment that he thought the offensive line played well. Really ?? He was standing in the so called pocket like a pinata waiting to get hammered by the Stamps.
maxlion
Legend

It was a lousy game to watch, but not surprising based on the trends this season. No run game. No return game. Over reliance on big plays. Soft defence.

I don't think that Reilly is the biggest problem, except to the extent that his salary might prevent the team from signing other players. This was a bad game for him, but overall he has been one of the most consistent qbs in the league this year.

Some of our other big ticket players clearly aren't playing to the level of their pay cheque, like Chungh and Durant. That throws the cap management out of whack.

I think the biggest disappointment has been the offensive line, again. The team has spent big $ on the offensive line with poor results. Whether Dorazio, Chiu, or Bates is in charge, we either can't pass protect or have a run game. Frustrating.

Rainey has been underwhelming all year as well. Time to move on, I think.

I was surprised to see Cioffi and Hakeem Johnson out there. I thought they were out this game?

Also, what is happening with Posey? I haven't heard his name since he was signed.

Lastly, I thought there were a few golden opportunties to throw the challenge flag. Campbell seems very reluctant to use it.
BC 1988
Legend

Spud387 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:08 pm
David wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:57 pm
TheLionKing wrote:

I was there, definitely heard the boos directed at the offense in the latter 3rd and during 4th quarters.
https://www.cfl.ca/games/6176/calgary-s ... playbyplay
It was at the two sacks in a row for losses of 6 yards each at 14:43 and 14:05 of the 4th quarter when the boos became very noticeable from where I was sitting in section 201.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

There were two questionable plays that Campbell should have challenged. The most obvious was the missed call when a Stamp defensive lineman tried to tackle Reilly below the knees. Don't just stand there with your arms folded. Throw the challenge flag. :bang: :bang:
Reg18
Starter

Noor it's time for some major changes hire new oc and dc. And find a GM to manage the team if our problems start with talent then we need tobuild our game strategies around our players and with the disorganization that we displayed today if maybe HC has !ost the room some of my thoughts all f
Parts of our game !looked !ie a bunch of keystone cops at times. It was embarasing.
Reg18
Starter

Maybe we should shift our offence to a shorterpassing game with a fast tempo and quit trying to throw home run balls when our o line can't protect !Ong enough to enable deep pass plays. And why when it's second and ,10 we call a crossing pattern at ,,5 yards.do we really expect our receivers to gain the parfagr when they can't get open enough to avoid the butsl hits they were absorbing today