Blue Bombers at Lions Oct. 1, 2021

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Unimpressed with the playcalling. Instead of getting the ball off quick with slants, Lions chose to go with slow developing plays thus allowing the Bomber pass rush to pummel Reilly more than he normally does.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Bombers did what Edmonton did to shut down the B.C. offence, taking away Reilly's first read with tight underneath coverage and counting on their four-man rush to get to the QB before slower developing routes came open. Reilly still bought time for himself but not enough. Without the threat of Whitehead's electric playmaking, the Lions weren't able to stretch the field.

I was impressed with Rourke's use of the quick pass in his brief time in the game. The Bombers were probably playing softer at that point but Rourke successfully moved the ball 50 yards downfield with a series of quick passes before his Hail Mary to Scarfone (playing for Whitehead) was intercepted in the end zone.

The Bombers dominated in every facet of the game, especially along the line of scrimmage, but the Lions are not as bad as they looked. The B.C. offence was without its most dangerous weapon and the secondary was missing three key starters on the wide side of the field. Collaros put up career-best passing stats by picking mainly on Anthony Cioffi, Bejour Wilson and Hakeem Johnson. Soft 50/50 lobs that likely would have been intercepted by regular starters KiAnte Hardin, Jalon Edwards-Cooper or Marcus Sayles resulted in either long completions or pass interference penalties. That problem is easy to fix if the starters are healthy for the rematch. The lack of a running game and pass rush are bigger problems.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

I have to admit, I was surprised by the significant drop off between starters and backups on the Lions roster. With Cioffi coming in for Sayles I anticipated he'd do well, but he had a tough outing. He was flying around with enthusiasm as I'd hoped, but was repeatedly a step or two behind where he needed to be. Alas, young Bejour Wilson was considerably more than just a step or two behind where he needed to be, in place of the starters in the secondary. As was Hakeem Johnson. It's challenging to succeed at the ol' team "next man up" philosophy when this is the case.
Anyhow, I too was confused and disappointed by the use of a one-handed Lucky Whitehead after his injury. Is our depth so shallow that is the best we can do? Using him as a decoy was not successful so far as I could tell. And while I don't know the precise nature of Lucky's injury, if it hampers his ability as a legitimate threat longterm, I wonder if the Lions and Reilly might be chatting with Duke Williams who just a day or so ago announced his full interest in returning to the CFL. Reilly and Williams of course have a history (Edmonton), and a good history it is! Salary cap issues might likely has something to say about that possibility however.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I have a strong feeling we will soon find out that Lucky's unlucky injury is a broken hand based on where the ice bag was prior to halftime and the padding he was sporting when he came out for the second half. It all seemed to be focused on the back of his hand.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:53 am
I have a strong feeling we will soon find out that Lucky's unlucky injury is a broken hand based on where the ice bag was prior to halftime and the padding he was sporting when he came out for the second half. It all seemed to be focused on the back of his hand.
Suspected broken wrist was the preliminary diagnosis on the sideline, according to Farhan Lalji, J.J. Adams and J.C. Abbott.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:33 pm
Hambone wrote:
Suspected broken wrist was the preliminary diagnosis on the sideline, according to Farhan Lalji, J.J. Adams and J.C. Abbott.
Either way it likely puts him on the sidelines for most, if not all, of the remaining regular season. I was watching him trying to catch balls from Rourke as the 2nd half was getting going. He was basically trying to get his good hand onto the ball while using the injured one to cradle it.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Apparently former Esks receiver Duke Williams has tweeted about a return to the CFL. I wonder if he wants to get back together with his former QB, Reilly? Duke, while not a speedster like Lucky, he is a load and a half to bring down. Maybe having Cottoy and someone like Duke doing some blocking is what the running game needs?
OV - 54:40
Champion

maxlion wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:11 am
One last comment: I generally like Rick Campbell's approach as a coach, but wasn't a fan of putting a one-handed Whitehead back in the game. It seemed clear that he couldn't use his right hand to catch. It was time to give the backups a chance to get some game action.
Scarfone got in the game to replace Whitehead; maybe Campbell thought putting a one armed injured receiver back in the game could scare the Bombers D with his speed ??? Was Cordell Hastings not dressed for the game? Why not give a young guy a shot? - sure has paid off for the Riders with an unhearlded, rookie mid round draft pick in Schaffer-Baker emerging as basically their best receiver.

O-line is weak; zero ground game = BIG problems for any offence.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:36 pm
Apparently former Esks receiver Duke Williams has tweeted about a return to the CFL. I wonder if he wants to get back together with his former QB, Reilly? Duke, while not a speedster like Lucky, he is a load and a half to bring down. Maybe having Cottoy and someone like Duke doing some blocking is what the running game needs?
I too was surprised to see him back on the field after watching him down on the sidelines trying to catch passes from Rourke. Despite the fact it was an obvious challenge to haul anything in I noticed when he did go back onto the field he immediately was drawing double coverage. It seemed that his presence would've drawn coverage away from other receivers but the jig would have been up on the Bombers need to pay much attention to him as a ball was thrown to him.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:21 pm
Scarfone got in the game to replace Whitehead; maybe Campbell thought putting a one armed injured receiver back in the game could scare the Bombers D with his speed ??? Was Cordell Hastings not dressed for the game? Why not give a young guy a shot? - sure has paid off for the Riders with an unhearlded, rookie mid round draft pick in Schaffer-Baker emerging as basically their best receiver.

O-line is weak; zero ground game = BIG problems for any offence.
My feeling is Scarfone has been working out regularly in the wideout position as Shaq Johnson's backup at wide side WR. I didn't pay enough attention to notice if when Whitehead went down Scarfone moved into Lucky's spot or if Shaq took over Whitehead's spot with Scarfone backfilling for him. That Hastings was dressed as Cottoy's backup tells me he's primarily been getting his reps at SB and as a raw rookie dressing for the first time may be unfamiliar with the wideout spots. A better question to ask would be why didn't Durant draw back in ahead of Scarfone who looked lost out there? Seemed like Scarfone was not on the same page with Reilly on a couple of the targets.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:33 pm
Hambone wrote:
Turns out to be broken hand. He will be out 2-4 weeks after having some sort of surgery on Wednesday. Good news is with a bye this week he might only miss 2 or 3 games.
https://www.tsn.ca/lucky-whitehead-surg ... -1.1702189
Dusty
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:36 pm
Apparently the Riders have signed Duke Williams.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

The true test of a complete team is the depth that it has when the regulars go down. I think that the lions are very thin in that regard.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.