Lions sold

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 3:51 pm
zeppo wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:49 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:00 pm

Patrick Johnston getting a lot of static for his in-depth (probably the result of 2 minutes notice) analysis "owns a bunch of stuff" . :rotf:
I suspect that if this announcement had anything to do with the Canucks he would have given a little more thought to his choice of words.
He broke the story. The name of the buyer is more important than the other “stuff” he owns.
I realize that. He was in a mad rush and couldn't take a few seconds to google even enough info for a single line of description. "Owns a bunch of stuff" looks more appropriate for Seventeen magazine or Tiger Beat.
D
Team Captain

This a great news!
I own The Grey Cup! .com
Rammer
Team Captain

The Lions franchise is either going to grow or belly up. I would think that the hedge was on the belly up side on the purchase. I hope that Dinar can translate his BC roots into building the franchise into the premier club it once was.

At least it is one of the steps forward that the Lions needed and a large step at that.
Entertainment value = an all time low
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Amar Doman sounds like a purrfect new owner that may very well have been negotiating with Braley prior to his passing.
Doman brings a lot of business acumen and even deeper pockets than what Braley had. I was just thinking the other day that Money attracts Money. I except it to be a lot easier for the Lions to now find Sponsors/Advertisers.

In other words: This is huge.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

DanoT wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 5:58 pm
Amar Doman sounds like a purrfect new owner that may very well have been negotiating with Braley prior to his passing.
Doman brings a lot of business acumen and even deeper pockets than what Braley had. I was just thinking the other day that Money attracts Money. I except it to be a lot easier for the Lions to now find Sponsors/Advertisers.

In other words: This is huge.
Remarkable we never heard his name mentioned once in the long and drawn out sale of the team yet he mentioned he has been among the team sponsors and has patiently waited for this opportunity. Maybe he had an agreement with Braley that he never wanted his name to go public.

This certainly puts some truth into Braley never did really want to sell the team when he was alive.
Doman said he talked to Braley about potentially buying the club "a few times" over the years but Braley simply wasn't ready to let the team go.

"You can't time business deals," he said. "When they come up, you're either going to move on them or you're not. And this type of opportunity I've been working on for a long time, so it's something I would have happily closed on years ago, quite frankly."
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

On more than a couple of occasions when everybody was trying to speculate who was interested and complaining about the silence and taking it as meaning zero was happening I posted that it would most likely unfold just this way. There would be nothing out in public until it was announced as a done deal. Kudos for all parties involved for brokering a deal in a very professional manner.

The more public something like the pending negotation and sale of a team is the more likely no deal will be made. Typically when serious sellers and buyers start negotiations both parties will enter into Non-Disclosure Agreements. As such it should be no surprise that this came out of the blue.

With indications Doman has talked to Braley over the past few years my gut feel is he knew just how much Braley loved the club and how difficult it was for him to let go. I think he recognized and respected that and didn't push. Just kept lines of communication open and let Braley know when he truly is ready Amar was ready to talk. I think if not for Covid tossing a mega sized wrench into everything last spring this deal may have gotten done before Braley passed. Just watching the clips of the presser today I like to think as reluctant as Braley was to sell he would've been proud to shake Doman's hand as he was handing him the keys.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reg18
Starter

This great news for !ions fans there is a large Indian group of passionatecanuck fans hopefully this move will transfer some of the passion to the !ions. A younger demographic plus some local marketing should provide !long term stability for the Lions. Yea!
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

First impression for me is this is very good news for the Lions. The fact that many of us had to google "who is Amar Doman" is a positive. He doesn't seem like an attention seeker who wants to own a pro football team for the sake of image or ego.
maxlion
Legend

Too early to assess Doman as an owner, but it is good news that the team has finally moved on from Braley and kudos to the parties and league for keeping the business from distracting from the game. Hopefully this will be a good era for the Lions and fans.
cms22
Starter

great news......

I'd be easy on that reporter about "owns a bunch of stuff".... he could have just left it at Vancouver business man and it would have been fine.

I wanted to ask about other angles to ownership (civic-minded. build stadium) but I think I should just be happy today to have a new owner.. also some other questions, but I'll just leave them for a later time
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:23 pm
For some reason I'm thinking the CanWel logo might have been evident in recent years. Doman Industries before morphing into WFP was predominently a lumber manufacturer with sawmills in Nanaimo, Chemainus, Duncan etc. Advertising or sponsoring at local sporting events attended by consumers generally doesn't provide much business value for companies producing commodities tailored more for export.
Correct. LeLacheur on with Sekeres & Price yesterday said the Doman company name sponsor of the Lions for a number of years is/was CanWel.
OV - 54:40
Champion

FANTASTIC NEWS !!! :yahoo:
cromartie
Hall of Famer

It's very difficult in this day and age for someone to buy a professional sports team without a number of financial skeletons in their closet and have those skeletons not surface immediately. So to that end, I'm very happy.

My only real area of concern, in listening to the interview last night, was his assertion that he's 'more of a fixer'. While we all agree the franchise needs fixing, there's a point where you have to transition your thinking from fixing to maintaining, and there are a lot of people who cannot effectively complete that transition.

On the plus side, we aren't owned by a committee of people who can just bail whenever there's a cash call. So a single owner over an ownership group makes me happy.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Here's a few more thoughts/ideas from Mr. Doman. You can do all these things, yet so much hinges on the actual play on the field. Will our Lions characteristically become a winning team? If we're merely mediocre ongoing it, to a significant degree, deflates the tires of whatever is put in motion by an owner. So, here's wishing one and all success in the joint endeavor. https://3downnation.com/2021/08/22/new- ... marketing/
BC 1988
Legend

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:10 pm
Here's a few more thoughts/ideas from Mr. Doman. You can do all these things, yet so much hinges on the actual play on the field. Will our Lions characteristically become a winning team? If we're merely mediocre ongoing it, to a significant degree, deflates the tires of whatever is put in motion by an owner. So, here's wishing one and all success in the joint endeavor. https://3downnation.com/2021/08/22/new- ... marketing/
Bear in mind that there still are Hervey decisions on the roster. It will take another season or two to really start fresh. Hopefully we get the best possible full-time GM hire.