Lions release Takeru Yamasaki

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

cms22
Starter

I think I understand non-import rules vis a vis offence/defense... 7 players basically. and it seems to me that effectively, it's 5 or 6 offensive, 1 or 2 defensive and you have to declare that detail before game.

how do the 4 key special teams positions fit into non-import rules: P, K, PR, KR?

thanks in advance :)
cromartie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:56 pm
Small sample but Ford hasn't impressed me too much as punter thus far. Pretty decent against the Riders, pretty average against the Stamps.

Yes, one great coffin-corner punt that went out at the one-yard line. But hang-time and distance against the Stamps in that thin Calgary summer air was a disappointment. I recall one punt that he hit out-of-bounds cost us major yardage as it didn't cross the 20-yard line.

DH :cool:
Going to agree. I suspect if they felt he had the leg to punt it out of the back of the end zone for the single at the end of the game they would have let him. Which means they won in Calgyra despite not having real confidence in either kicker, which is really quite something, when you think about it.

Is this a bad time to mention the Saints just cut Brett Maher?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cms22 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 pm
I think I understand non-import rules vis a vis offence/defense... 7 players basically. and it seems to me that effectively, it's 5 or 6 offensive, 1 or 2 defensive and you have to declare that detail before game.

how do the 4 key special teams positions fit into non-import rules: P, K, PR, KR?

Those special teams positions are almost non-positions when it comes to the ratio. If a NAT is handling the job they are merely 1 of the 22 NATs on the game roster. If an American is handling the job they will be listed as a DI unless it just happens they are actually one of the usually 17 Amers listed as a starter on O or D.

Keeping track of the ratio is actually not at all complicated for the officials. For them when it comes to DIs they really only need to know who the 4 are and keep an eye out whenever one comes onto the field to play on O or D. For instance when Rainey comes out to play tailback they just watch to make sure another American goes off. Usually he's just replacing the starting Amer TB but it could be an Amer WR too.

For NATs the zebras just have to watch for one coming out and making sure another goes on if that team listed only 7 starters. It doesn't matter if a NAT comes on to replace an Amer.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

cromartie wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:26 pm

Going to agree. I suspect if they felt he had the leg to punt it out of the back of the end zone for the single at the end of the game they would have let him. Which means they won in Calgyra despite not having real confidence in either kicker, which is really quite something, when you think about it.

Is this a bad time to mention the Saints just cut Brett Maher?
I think at the point of the contentious 3rd down gamble or FG vs punt the Stamps would have gladly conceded the single on either a punt or missed FG. So bit of a moot point there. The 2 things they didn't want to see was a successful FG or a coffin corner punt. Had Henry been the returner and ran it out he'd probably be standing beside Yamasaki in the EI lineup. Killam wasn't happy with his trying to come out with the previous missed FG.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 2:07 pm
cms22 wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:05 pm

Those special teams positions are almost non-positions when it comes to the ratio. If a NAT is handling the job they are merely 1 of the 22 NATs on the game roster. If an American is handling the job they will be listed as a DI unless it just happens they are actually one of the usually 17 Amers listed as a starter on O or D.

Keeping track of the ratio is actually not at all complicated for the officials. For them when it comes to DIs they really only need to know who the 4 are and keep an eye out whenever one comes onto the field to play on O or D. For instance when Rainey comes out to play tailback they just watch to make sure another American goes off. Usually he's just replacing the starting Amer TB but it could be an Amer WR too.

For NATs the zebras just have to watch for one coming out and making sure another goes on if that team listed only 7 starters. It doesn't matter if a NAT comes on to replace an Amer.
Right. The benefit of using Global kickers is that the Lions were able to dress 4 American backup/rotational positional players (Rainey, LB Dyshawn Davis, DE Tim Bonner and DT Dana Levine last week). Dressing Flintoft this week will likely require the Lions to drop one of their rotational American defensive linemen. They may dress Global DT Nik Gustav instead to fulfil their one required Global roster position.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

We just might not know what it is. There will be a kicker of some sort for the next game. It can't really be much worse than it was.

Maybe Paul McCallum comes out of retirement for a game? But seriously, there must be some kickers around about. Even from the University or College ranks that could be teleported in for a 1 game need.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Coast Mountain Lion
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:09 am
Dusty wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:17 pm
Who is going to be the holder on FG's? With Ford getting sorted out, it will mean only 3 days practice for a new holder.

Is it going to fall onto Rourke's shoulders as the second QB?
Tongue-in-cheek but the holding job doesn't automatically fall on Rourke's shoulders. Reilly used to hold for the Lions as a backup. It also doesn't necessarily have to be a QB doing that job. Glen Suitor with the hands of a DB was Ridgway's holder for years. Personally I'm not concerned. Rourke (or whomever) will get plenty of reps this week. I'd like to think Rourke as a QB has better than average hand eye skills. Whoever holds is going to be new to whichever kicker is doing the job.
"Other position" players who have been holders come to mind include Jamie Stoddard, Darren Flutie and Kevin Eiben. Didn't Jason Clermont do it too from time to time?
Dusty
Champion

Camacho must have gotten through the Covid protocols before the game as he has been activated as FG kicker. That leaves Flintoff as the likely holder.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Dusty wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:12 pm
Camacho must have gotten through the Covid protocols before the game as he has been activated as FG kicker. That leaves Flintoff as the likely holder.
Flintoft is in fact holding for Camacho, who hit from 53 yards in early warmups, with 5 yards to spare.
Reg18
Starter

I watched tape bon canadian wr jacob scarfone and he was a kicker in ciollege. In fact in one game he kickjed off and sp?it the uprights on a kckoff. He's a speedy shifty receiver so I guess that's where he wanted to play.
Reg18
Starter

One problem solved but even bigger one is the O line. Getting Norman back might help but we could sure use some healthy tackles. Then need to make some changes due to injuries to durant and rhymes. .for these we do have promising replacements on the team.. And using Cotoy as a tight end to help our O tasckles would be a good move. Could help neutralize opposing pass rush.