2021 season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

A little off-topic (forgive me), but a really good read that sums up the Covid frustration here in B.C.

Yes, I believe we will start the season on Aug. 5, but I am hoping our efforts aren't derailed by another powerful variant. :cr:

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/shelle ... 1619399360

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:
Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:56 pm
A little off-topic (forgive me), but a really good read that sums up the Covid frustration here in B.C.

Yes, I believe we will start the season on Aug. 5, but I am hoping our efforts aren't derailed by another powerful variant. :cr:

https://vancouversun.com/opinion/shelle ... 1619399360

DH :cool:
Good article. A lot of the issues for BC Health are having to react to situations (like the international bungling of both AstraZeneca and J&J in rollout making many paranoid about using them) that are beyond their control. Then there is the Federal Govt wasting 6 months on the aborted (by China) Canada-China partnership. The deal with India is effectively dead, since the Indian Govt has to deal with their own domestic out of control situation.

On the bright side (since it has the best public perception), it looks like Pfizer is gearing up to take up the slack, while Moderna is faltering in their production targets. I finally got my appt for the first jab on May 8th. It was interesting that the available days started on May 6th--on schedule with what BC Health announced yesterday that large shipments of Pfizer are expected then. I tried registering for the pharmacy AstraZeneca age based rollout and that was a waste of time--so little supply--did they really expect us to go calling every pharmacy to see if they still had any?

As for the BC COVID video updates (I have watched all of them on YouTube from day 1) they suffer from being too much of an information dump. In the beginning the most important part was the numbers--now there is so many different stats to report I don't even pay attention to that part now, since I can see a written version later. The most important part for me is Dr Henry's comments after the stat dump, and the Q & A that follows. Adrian Dix comes across as overbearing and uncompromising--he is better off kept in the background as much as possible.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've also watched all of the B.C. Covid briefings and read all of the daily and weekly reports since the beginning. My most important takeaway is that we are still on track to offer vaccination to all eligible British Columbians by the end of June and are expecting some form of normal life to return in summer, when Dr. Henry says we should have an abundant vaccine supply and can offer people their second shots well within the four-month timeline. Lately B.C. officials have also suggested the pandemic will abate when we reach a projected 60% vaccination rate by the end of May. I hope that's true. As a senior citizen who registered and made my appointment as soon as I was eligible earlier this month, I'm still waiting for my first vaccination next week. There was a three-week wait for appointments here in Kamloops when I booked mine online. I'm envious of younger friends and relatives, especially on the Lower Mainland and in smaller Interior communities, who have already been vaccinated.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 1:42 pm
I've also watched all of the B.C. Covid briefings and read all of the daily and weekly reports since the beginning. My most important takeaway is that we are still on track to offer vaccination to all eligible British Columbians by the end of June and are expecting some form of normal life to return in summer, when Dr. Henry says we should have an abundant vaccine supply and can offer people their second shots well within the four-month timeline. Lately B.C. officials have also suggested the pandemic will abate when we reach a projected 60% vaccination rate by the end of May. I hope that's true. As a senior citizen who registered and made my appointment as soon as I was eligible earlier this month, I'm still waiting for my first vaccination next week. There was a three-week wait for appointments here in Kamloops when I booked mine online. I'm envious of younger friends and relatives, especially on the Lower Mainland and in smaller Interior communities, who have already been vaccinated.
I am also in the Kamloops area. The vaccine roll out is all over the place. I am 73 and phoned for an appointment when my turn first came up on March 29 for an April 13 shot. My neighbour who is 70 booked online when his turn came up a week later and got his on April 8, ahead of me. :dizzy: :dizzy:

Now with the uptick in cases in the Lower Mainland both the Interior and Island regions are sending some of their vaccine allotment to the Lower Mainland.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.6004991
This shows there is still plenty of desire to get the vaccine--long lineups--even if it is the AZ vaccine.

The concern will be what happens if they hit a wall in uptake at some point (people who can be easily discouraged due to vaccine bad press/misinformation) before we get to sufficient numbers to reach herd immunity. In the US there are reports that this is happening now--uptake is slowing to a crawl.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

It may be the case that the anti vax folks will never be swayed but time will sort it out one way or another. If the bulk of people are vaxed, then those who choose to run the gambit without are free to do so. At some point, either they will get it and recover or get it and die. Either way, eventually they will get their immunity. The reason for wearing masks after vaccination is to largely try and protect others. While you might still catch it, being vaccinated is likely to take any symptoms down to a manageable, less life threatening level. If after all those who are willing to get their shot have had it, those that are left I feel no obligation to. I won't try and protect those who aren't willing to try and protect themselves and if at the end of they day, they get restricted from certain activities like travelling abroad, again, their choice. They can deal with it. For better or worse, we are all a community and as such have some obligation to look out for the whole.

There was an interesting but sad story a few days ago from a woman in Sask. Apparently, she was one of those that had an opportunity to work from home but chose to go to work. She also admitted that she had been "vocal" about her opposition to restrictions and curtailments. Then she got it and then her husband got it. She recovered, her husband did not. A family with 6 kids. The woman says she believes she brought it from work where they had an outbreak. She was pretty candid about it and to her credit took ownership. I don't quite know how she faces her kids for the rest of her life nor how the impact of losing a father prematurely is going to change their futures but the message was clear. Gamble with this virus if you will. You might win, you might lose or even worse someone else you care for might lose. She is going to have a lot to carry for the rest of her days. Others who take similar stances are likely going to face similar demons. You reap what you sow.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:26 pm
It may be the case that the anti vax folks will never be swayed but time will sort it out one way or another. If the bulk of people are vaxed, then those who choose to run the gambit without are free to do so. At some point, either they will get it and recover or get it and die. Either way, eventually they will get their immunity. The reason for wearing masks after vaccination is to largely try and protect others. While you might still catch it, being vaccinated is likely to take any symptoms down to a manageable, less life threatening level. If after all those who are willing to get their shot have had it, those that are left I feel no obligation to. I won't try and protect those who aren't willing to try and protect themselves and if at the end of they day, they get restricted from certain activities like travelling abroad, again, their choice. They can deal with it. For better or worse, we are all a community and as such have some obligation to look out for the whole.

There was an interesting but sad story a few days ago from a woman in Sask. Apparently, she was one of those that had an opportunity to work from home but chose to go to work. She also admitted that she had been "vocal" about her opposition to restrictions and curtailments. Then she got it and then her husband got it. She recovered, her husband did not. A family with 6 kids. The woman says she believes she brought it from work where they had an outbreak. She was pretty candid about it and to her credit took ownership. I don't quite know how she faces her kids for the rest of her life nor how the impact of losing a father prematurely is going to change their futures but the message was clear. Gamble with this virus if you will. You might win, you might lose or even worse someone else you care for might lose. She is going to have a lot to carry for the rest of her days. Others who take similar stances are likely going to face similar demons. You reap what you sow.
Solemn but sound words, Sir Purrcival. "Amen" to that.
BC 1988
Legend

Fully agree. This shouldn't be happening, but we are dealing with 20+ years of the internet being the playground of those who would mold society for their own ends. Pre-internet, antivaxxers were just considered to be cranks/cultists. Through misinformation, they have become legitimized.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:44 pm
This shows there is still plenty of desire to get the vaccine--long lineups--even if it is the AZ vaccine.

The concern will be what happens if they hit a wall in uptake at some point (people who can be easily discouraged due to vaccine bad press/misinformation) before we get to sufficient numbers to reach herd immunity. In the US there are reports that this is happening now--uptake is slowing to a crawl.
The anti-vax portion of the general BC population seems to be very much in the minority. Pretty good example might be those pop-up clinics in Coquitlam and Cloverdale with long lines of folks more than willing to get AZ. I did some rough calcs a few minutes ago off the Covid Tracker website. With today's reporting still being in progress BC is at 1,972,490 doses delivered with 90,296 having been fully vaccinated. Deduct that from the 1,972,490 and you have just short of 1.89M having received at least 1 shot. If they can keep up more recent daily counts of 45,000/day that should have BC on pace to have one shot into every man, woman, child and infant by right around Canada Day. If indications that supply will be increasing are true they should be able to pick up on that pace. Deduct the anti-vaxxers and kids of ages not deemed necessary for vaccinations and there's little reason the initial wave of 1st vaccinations won't be wrapped up by mid-June allowing the Province to move on to 2nd vaccinations. I finally get my first shot this afternoon. It could have been sooner but I had to juggle the logistics of living PG while working on Fort St. John for the past 3 weeks. I'm thinking I will most likely have my 2nd shot by the time the shortened CFL season starts, perhaps in time for what will likely be an abbreviated training camp.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Murdoch
All Star

Not sure how much he can do in the Arena league but happy to see Manny sign to play and have a chance to show his wares. Hoping it translates into a spot on a CFL roster. It would not surprise me to see him do well given an opportunity which I think he might get in a watered down league if rumours of retirement plans are true. He'll have to play for nothing but that might not be a priority.
BC 1988
Legend

Hambone wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:44 pm

The anti-vax portion of the general BC population seems to be very much in the minority. Pretty good example might be those pop-up clinics in Coquitlam and Cloverdale with long lines of folks more than willing to get AZ. I did some rough calcs a few minutes ago off the Covid Tracker website. With today's reporting still being in progress BC is at 1,972,490 doses delivered with 90,296 having been fully vaccinated. Deduct that from the 1,972,490 and you have just short of 1.89M having received at least 1 shot. If they can keep up more recent daily counts of 45,000/day that should have BC on pace to have one shot into every man, woman, child and infant by right around Canada Day. If indications that supply will be increasing are true they should be able to pick up on that pace. Deduct the anti-vaxxers and kids of ages not deemed necessary for vaccinations and there's little reason the initial wave of 1st vaccinations won't be wrapped up by mid-June allowing the Province to move on to 2nd vaccinations. I finally get my first shot this afternoon. It could have been sooner but I had to juggle the logistics of living PG while working on Fort St. John for the past 3 weeks. I'm thinking I will most likely have my 2nd shot by the time the shortened CFL season starts, perhaps in time for what will likely be an abbreviated training camp.

https://covid19tracker.ca/vaccinationtracker.html
Right, in BC we don't have the numbers of COVID deniers/skeptics that the US has (among provinces, Alberta appears to be more aligned with the US than the rest of us.) The apex of the BC deniers was the Mark Donnelly rally and that only drew 500 people.

This is a great overview about how the US got to where it is now. https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... y-1125197/
I saw on CBC News this morning that they have Pfizer vaccine that is due to expire in Philadelphia because of vaccine averse population.

The last vestiges of Trump's parting gift of America First is about to fall away, since Pfizer will be allowed to ship Kalamazoo product outside their borders. Canada will no longer be at the mercy of the EU shackling Belgian production.

Dr. Henry took a lot of heat in the Q&A yesterday from the media on the pop-up clinic debacle. They didn't count on out of area residents hearing on sites like Vaccine Hunters to negate the whole point of it. They were trying to reach local population in "hotspots" where registration is lagging, whether due to language barriers or other reasons. (Hence the repeated requests in the briefing for everyone to "Register, register, register")
https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/covid-1 ... ntments-bc
It looks like the supplies of AZ are just about gone apart from a few pockets (one media questioner mentioned Kamloops had a lot in some pharmacies to burn up) and won't be back for awhile. I don't think they will need it to finish 1st jabs now anyway, but they need to make sure there is enough for 2nd jabs. It looks like even that might not be issue if the results of trials going on now determine it's safe/effective to mix and match vaccine types. https://www.newwestrecord.ca/coronaviru ... es-3679355
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Important to bear in mind that it is approx 30 days for that first shot to reach full potency. I am now eligible to get my shot in 2 weeks so it will be mid June before I can consider myself reasonably safe. People getting their shots in June or even early July won't be really protected for at least 1 month after that.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
maxlion
Legend

New study from the UK suggests that a single dose of Pfizer falls below the threshold of protection against variants in the majority of people. This doesn't bode well for an August start date.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/world/a ... ulnerable/
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.straight.com/covid-19-pande ... s-pregnant
I heard this response in the COVID 19 briefing Q&A on Monday. Barring some dramatic changes in counts and vaccination rates, sounds like there is unlikely to be even socially distanced crowds allowed at BC Place this year. (It would have been nice to have someone specifically ask about that though). Blame it on the all the months that were lost when vaccine supply was minimal.
Today, B.C.'s provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, ruled out massive public events this summer, fall, and winter with many thousands of participants.
That means there will be no huge parties like the Vancouver Pride Parade and the Honda Celebration of Light.
But Henry didn't rule out all outdoor arts and cultural gatherings during her Monday briefing
"What we hope—with the program we are on now, with the amount of vaccine we have—is that we will be able to have some small outdoor events," Henry said. "I can say there is not likely to be big events of any sort even outdoors through this summer and into the fall and winter of next year."
She added that it might be possible to have hundreds of people at these events.
Henry noted that in the U.K., where there's been more vaccinations, they are experimenting with public gatherings by monitoring participants before and after to learn how to mitigate risk..
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

BC 1988 wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:31 am
https://www.straight.com/covid-19-pande ... s-pregnant
I heard this response in the COVID 19 briefing Q&A on Monday. Barring some dramatic changes in counts and vaccination rates, sounds like there is unlikely to be even socially distanced crowds allowed at BC Place this year. (It would have been nice to have someone specifically ask about that though). Blame it on the all the months that were lost when vaccine supply was minimal.
Today, B.C.'s provincial health officer, Dr. Bonnie Henry, ruled out massive public events this summer, fall, and winter with many thousands of participants.
That means there will be no huge parties like the Vancouver Pride Parade and the Honda Celebration of Light.
But Henry didn't rule out all outdoor arts and cultural gatherings during her Monday briefing
"What we hope—with the program we are on now, with the amount of vaccine we have—is that we will be able to have some small outdoor events," Henry said. "I can say there is not likely to be big events of any sort even outdoors through this summer and into the fall and winter of next year."
She added that it might be possible to have hundreds of people at these events.
Henry noted that in the U.K., where there's been more vaccinations, they are experimenting with public gatherings by monitoring participants before and after to learn how to mitigate risk..
I think it's a glass half empty point of view to take those comments as bad news for Lions games. Let's face it we'd be looking at max of about 20K for Lions or Whitecaps without social distancing. That's about 4% of the 500K a night of Celebration of Lights draws. Pride Parade and Festival has been drawing 650K to downtown Vancouver. PNE draws and average close to 50K/day with some special events days getting up into the 80K+ range.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.