2021 season

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Huge Talent
Starter

Happy Easter everyone!

I'm starting to get both excited and worried about the upcoming season. Things will surely evolve, as maybe will this thread.

As of today, what are you guys predicting will happen?

What we know: covid numbers are at an all time high, yet vaccines are underway.

CFL can't really afford another missed season, can it?

Will they allow limited attendance? Maybe open the top deck?

XFL maybe looking to be opportunistic. After thinking about this a bit more - As intriguing as the idea of a merge is, it would turn our league into North American minor league football. At least now we have the Canadian identity.

Ok, sorry if this was all over the place, but maybe that's fitting.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

there will be no successful normal reg season.

I am doubtful of any successful season at all.

out of desperation they may try at some point but it will not be good.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
BC 1988
Legend

That's what I thought too, but some surprising things are happening in the US right now.
https://toronto.citynews.ca/2021/04/03/ ... es-plunge/
Bear in mind that these include some of the most hardline California jurisdictions, not just places like Texas and Florida, which were always reckless.

Of course, Canada has been stumbling and bumbling along with their vaccination supply/rollout by comparison. What is happening in the NHL with most of the Canucks roster out of action is the reverse of the now minimal US divisional incidences.

If we can overcome the damage done to public perception towards AstraZeneca vaccine safety, this could turn around in a hurry.
maxlion
Legend

Vaccine procurement and rollout is one variable. Another is how effective a single dose is against variants. Then there is the possibility of new variants. None of these things are known, which makes predictions difficult.

If all goes perfectly according to plan, then potentially games with fans could start in fall. Maybe a few games in late summer without fans. I would say that is the best case scenario.
BC 1988
Legend

Agreed. There are a lot of unknowns in what is effectively uncharted territory. Here are a couple of articles on the US situation that are worth the long read.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... 21/618427/
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/arch ... ne/618463/
Huge Talent
Starter

This is incredibly unfortunate, as CFL fans. Sadly, sports are the least of our concerns right now.

Even under the best circumstances, I'm now doubtful we will have fans in seats in Canada in 2021. "Out of an abundance of caution" will become a new familiar catch phrase.

I hope I'm wrong. I miss CFL football, and I miss the forums here discussing it.
Reg18
Starter

Wow! Why so much negativity. The vaccines are coming! Various issues about vaccine delivery holdups have slowed things down but vaccinbes are ariving in large numbers so it still looks like a large numbervwill get vaccinated by June so even with a soaced out crowd the games will happen abd by lkate fall we should be seeing normal crowd numbers. Think positive. Its bot all doom and gloom.
Murdoch
All Star

CFL is looking for a lot of guarantees regarding attendance. What if people choose to not go even after they have been vaccinated. Waiting for a crowd of 30,000 to raise the Grey Cup banner in Winnipeg may take some time. I doubt very much ticket pricing will be adjusted down given the new pay scale.

Also curious if the CFL received the $50 million from TSN for 2020 and don't see why they would not have been paid or at least insured for such loss. The $60 - 80 million loss is more loss of revenue than expenses exceeding income. One of the beauties of being a private corporation.

If there is a season this will be it barring a miracle . Continuing to not honour player contracts has no place in a modern country. I can't see the CFLPA making further concessions and they deserve a fair share of revenues imo. We'll see.
David
Team Captain

Interesting news from Rick LeLacheur (courtesy JJ Adams, Vancouver Sun).
wrote:"The players have been through an awful lot. And everybody knows that they only get paid in the CFL for the games they play,” he said. “A number of them I know have other jobs, they’re looking at other careers. I’ve seen a couple of players we signed previously that were new to the Lions have decided not to continue with football. And I know there’s been a few retirements through the league. But it wouldn’t surprise me if there’s a few (who might not play this season).”

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Huge Talent
Starter

Even at the best of times, players need to juggle things and sacrifice to play in the CFL. This doesn't surprise me, but interesting insight nonetheless.

This reinforces how important our support as fans is. Looking forward to hopefully standing and cheering in August!
johnchow604
Rookie

If there is no season this year, I wonder whether we'll see Mike Reilly back next year and if not, what our plans are for a new starter. With Ontario in its current state, its hard to believe the Argos would play unless they plan in another province.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

johnchow604 wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:08 pm
If there is no season this year, I wonder whether we'll see Mike Reilly back next year and if not, what our plans are for a new starter. With Ontario in its current state, its hard to believe the Argos would play unless they plan in another province.
if there is no season this year, will there ever be a next year?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
SammyGreene
Team Captain

The August start with limited fans seems very realistic.

Almost surreal watching the Aussie Rules game on TSN this morning with 60,000 fans and not a mask in sight. Had no idea Australia is essentially COVID free.

Limited attendance now for pro sports in California. Population 40 million with 28 million vaccinated. New cases state wide yesterday 1,286. Or 300 fewer than Alberta’s total.

Surely Canada can get to California’s numbers by the end of June.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:21 pm

Almost surreal watching the Aussie Rules game on TSN this morning with 60,000 fans and not a mask in sight. Had no idea Australia is essentially COVID free.

Limited attendance now for pro sports in California. Population 40 million with 28 million vaccinated. New cases state wide yesterday 1,286. Or 300 fewer than Alberta’s total.

Aussies do things a bit differently down there. Unlike wishy washy North Americans they don't mess around. They closed the country to travel by non-residents early on in the pandemic. I believe it remains that way although recently they have been considering a "travel bubble" with New Zealand.

They also don't hesitate to lock things down when numbers start heading in the wrong direction. Melbourne has gone through 3 lockdowns. The recent one in Feb was only 5 days but they had one last year that lasted 111 days finally being lifted in October. It seems the over/under number for lifting a lockdown is zero new cases per day. My cousin who is a cop in Melbourne messaged me 2 weeks ago said the hadn't recorded a case in the state of Victoria in 43 days and everything was wide open.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:21 pm

I'm 73 y.o. and got my 1st vaccine April 13 and was told that I would be contacted sometime in July for an appointment for my 2nd shot which probably means a August appointment. It seems unlikely that very many fans will have their second shot before Sept.

We just don't have enough vaccines available and I have little confidence that things will change anytime soon. The Feds, otoh, think that they are doing a great job and might call an election soon. :dizzy: