2021 CFL free agency

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Blitz wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm
Switching from the left side to the right side or vice versa is a huge change for any offensive lineman. It involves a different stance, different lead foot, different drop foot on pass protection, different punch hand, etc.
Jovan Olifioye was a rare exception. He started out winning a CFL West All-Star Award as a 22 year old rookie tackle on one side of the OL then switched to the other side the following year to start a streak of 6 straight CFL All-Star Awards. Conversely when LT Rob Murphy headed to Toronto in free agency in 2009 his bookend RT Jason Jiminez was asked about switching from RT to LT to replace Murph. Jiminez said he didn't think it was a good idea as the transition would be difficult for all the reason you suggest. He was in his comfort zone on the right side and had zero interest in switching.

As a relatively mediocre plumber calibre rec and oldtimer hockey player and right hand shot I was always much more comfortable playing RW or RD. Some guys had no problem playing the off-side. Some preferred it. Me? Turns were different. Receiving and giving passes was different. I could do most of that on the forehand on the right side but had to do most on the backhand on the left side. There were some years where I had to play LW. I'd eventually adapt but it usually took at least a dozen games to finally feel somewhat comfortable there.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Reg18
Starter

The leos have signed some good looking talent that will provide stiff competition to returning vets and as rookies come cheaper I expect we may see some turnover. So that's a good thing. Can only mean better things are in store for the fans. Gonna be exciting to watch how it plays out. Hopefully the accelerated vaccine program will result in fewer infections so that hat we can have a season. Im getting my second shot in a weeks time in my assisted living home. So we are getting close to the beginning of the end.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Reg18 wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:01 pm
Im getting my second shot in a weeks time in my assisted living home. So we are getting close to the beginning of the end.
That's great to hear!

The Leos have trimmed a significant amount from what would have been their 2020 payroll. After going back over the last several weeks of social media posts the big 3 savings are:
Mike Reilly -$200,000 (restructured contract)
Micha Johnson -$200,000 (not re-signed)
Sukh Chungh -$95,000 (restructured contract)

Aaron Grymes I believed was their highest paid defensive player in 2019 at around $170,000. He was released although former all-star DB Marcus Sayles was signed to a 3-year deal at very likely a less number.

Plenty of smaller restructured deals as well including Burnham and Durant. Hard to believe Burnham actually took less to re-sign here given BC wasn't exactly big spenders in free agency. Not sure what they saved in not electing to re-sign Ryan Brown either.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Former B.C. receiver Ricky Collins Jr., who had a career high 1,103 receiving yards for Edmonton in 2019, has announced his retirement. That's a pretty clear sign that the free-agent market has dried up. Only 3 players on the CFL's official list of 2021 free agents have been signed in the past 10 days. Former Saskatchewan LB Cameron Judge is the only one who changed teams, signing with Toronto.
Murdoch
All Star

Sad news about Collins to be retiring at 28. Shows how tough it can be for players and hope that he has something better lined up. He worked hard for his money imo.

Might also be seen as a fallout from the one year contract era where teams fill in parts each year instead of building.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

RB Brandon Rutley has also announced his retirement.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/02/26/bran ... etirement/
David
Team Captain

This is a tough one as I always liked Rutley. I appreciated his tough, bruising running style and ability to run back kicks just like Monroe Eley did for us years ago.

I think we're fairly set at the RB position. We have Shaq Cooper and young Reggie Corbin from Illinois whose tape looks impressive as he can cut on a dime, plus Chris Rainey...in addition to all our Canadians like Wayne Moore (a punishing runner) and local kid, Jamel Lyles (who's more of a slasher).

I am excited to see what Andrew Pocrnic can do. He is a territorial protection player and, for want of a better term, he could be "Andrew Harris Pt. 2," ripping up Canadian Junior Football while setting the record for TDs in a season (27) with a gaudy 7.4 yards per carry in 2019.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
OV - 54:40
Champion

David wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 am
This is a tough one as I always liked Rutley. I appreciated his tough, bruising running style and ability to run back kicks just like Monroe Eley did for us years ago.

I think we're fairly set at the RB position. We have Shaq Cooper and young Reggie Corbin from Illinois whose tape looks impressive as he can cut on a dime, plus Chris Rainey...in addition to all our Canadians like Wayne Moore (a punishing runner) and local kid, Jamel Lyles (who's more of a slasher).

I am excited to see what Andrew Pocrnic can do. He is a territorial protection player and, for want of a better term, he could be "Andrew Harris Pt. 2," ripping up Canadian Junior Football while setting the record for TDs in a season (27) with a gaudy 7.4 yards per carry in 2019.

Would be real interesting to see what Pocrnic could do - IF he gets a real shot to compete at tailback; maybe he gets thought of as a safety or slotback project instead, if Wally can chime in on the matter ?
Murdoch
All Star

David wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:27 am

Still think you need a blocker but trust they know better than I and would love to see a young back fill the role. Campbell was open minded about Canadian RBs in Ottawa so who knows.

One of the best things about Andrew Harris now is his ability to read the play and pick up the free man. He makes too much money for that to be the reason for him being on the team but he plays that role very well.

C.J. Gable yet a possibility imo
Blitz
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:00 pm
Blitz wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 12:01 pm
Switching from the left side to the right side or vice versa is a huge change for any offensive lineman. It involves a different stance, different lead foot, different drop foot on pass protection, different punch hand, etc.
Jovan Olifioye was a rare exception. He started out winning a CFL West All-Star Award as a 22 year old rookie tackle on one side of the OL then switched to the other side the following year to start a streak of 6 straight CFL All-Star Awards. Conversely when LT Rob Murphy headed to Toronto in free agency in 2009 his bookend RT Jason Jiminez was asked about switching from RT to LT to replace Murph. Jiminez said he didn't think it was a good idea as the transition would be difficult for all the reason you suggest. He was in his comfort zone on the right side and had zero interest in switching.

As a relatively mediocre plumber calibre rec and oldtimer hockey player and right hand shot I was always much more comfortable playing RW or RD. Some guys had no problem playing the off-side. Some preferred it. Me? Turns were different. Receiving and giving passes was different. I could do most of that on the forehand on the right side but had to do most on the backhand on the left side. There were some years where I had to play LW. I'd eventually adapt but it usually took at least a dozen games to finally feel somewhat comfortable there.
You are most perceptive Hambone that Jovan Olifoye was a rare exception who was able to switch so successfully from the right side to the left side of the offensive line. Olifoye actually began hisLeo days as a starting right guard. Its a very challenging thing to switch from one side to the other. Its even more difficult to switch from right tackle to left tackle.

In all liklihood, I have been a much more mediocre plumber calibre hockey player than you state you are Hambone (and I am on the injured list to boot with a torn meniscus) but differently than you I played center and left wing while being a right handed shot. So I was used to taking passes on my backhand and enjoyed the ability to cut into the center of the ice. On the rare occasions that I played right wing, it felt as if I was in prison, in comparison, with the moves of a Ronnie Ellis.

But the key to your point is that you shared your actual experience in playing a sport and switching to the other side. From switch hitting in fastball or baseball to playing one wing or the other in hockey, to playing one side of the line or the other in football, its much more challenging than most people assume.

In football, the same is true for defensive end play, cornerback, etc. - switching sides is a challenge. Now have you finally got rid of that right handed slapshot Hambone?
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Blitz wrote:
Sun Feb 28, 2021 1:35 pm
In football, the same is true for defensive end play, cornerback, etc. - switching sides is a challenge. Now have you finally got rid of that right handed slapshot Hambone?
Panes of glass were never at risk to my shot Blitz even back when I was in leagues that allowed a slapshot. If I tried a slapshot today it would be ugly as my hockey since moving to PG in 95 has all been in Oldtimers leagues where drawing your stick back more than about 18" gets you a trip to the penalty box. I haven't been on the ice in 6 years mainly because I'm usually working out of town.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:09 pm
Would be real interesting to see what Pocrnic could do - IF he gets a real shot to compete at tailback; maybe he gets thought of as a safety or slotback project instead, if Wally can chime in on the matter ?
As is always the case he'll get as many drill reps as all the other tailbacks. He'll get lots of reps on one of offensive units in skelly and from there will have to earn his way to more reps. Shaq Cooper as a supposedly big FA signing will start out as 1st unit TB as would be expected. After David's comments about Corbin, who is built like Porcnic, I took a look at some of the highlight clips of him on Youtube. I usually don't get too excited about any new American's coming to camp but boy he sure looks intriguing. Displayed excellent cutback ability and hits holes hard and fast reminiscent of Volpe or Philpot. Of course those videos only show the good, never the bad. I will definitely be keeping an eye on him in Kamloops if camp goes as scheduled there.

Maybe should be pointing fingers at Huf more than Wally. Cornish didn't become Calgary's starting TB until his 5th season. Harris earned the same stature part way into his 2nd season in BC.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Brett Boyko has signed with Saskatchewan. He didn't fit in as a starter in B.C. I hope things work out better for him with the Riders.

RIDERS BRING SASKATOON NATIVE BRETT BOYKO HOME
cromartie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 9:27 am
Brett Boyko has signed with Saskatchewan. He didn't fit in as a starter in B.C. I hope things work out better for him with the Riders.

RIDERS BRING SASKATOON NATIVE BRETT BOYKO HOME
I see the Riders are bringing bullfighting to the stadium and are in need of a matador.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

It's not newsworthy enough to deserve its own thread but the Lions have a vacancy at the bottom end of their coaching staff. Danny O'Brien is leaving for a coaching job with Penn State.

https://www.bclions.com/2021/03/01/dann ... enn-state/