2021 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

Order announced.

Lions first 3 picks are #s 4, 15 & 21

Some real good prospects in the early rounds IMO, but the depth might be challenged if a number of U Sports players who lost this season choose to defer till next draft ?

Not sure who/where the Lions will be looking at with the #4. Maybe an O-lineman as per standard CFL thinking mode, but that DE Stevens (Maine) seems like a real good D prospect in an area of need; also some good DB prospects who might make a fine starting safety.
Champion

Wonder if drafting Nelson Lokombo (U Sport D player of the year) to join his bro, makes good sense.

Kid might be able to start at safety (and sooner than later).
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

When Bo Lokombo was a lion, I thought that they should have tried him at Safety.
Champion

DanoT wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:41 pm
When Bo Lokombo was a lion, I thought that they should have tried him at Safety.
Yeah - well that experiment worked out well for the Als - thought he was very solid there replacing the injured Loffler - guy can really hit/tackle but showed range and smarts.

With Bo, plus promising draft pick Williams and vet Konar - they could go NI at both MLB and W-OLB ? Bo could maybe be the main MLB? - and have 2 NIs on the field at those 2 spots all the time. But maybe they try Bo at S ? Again though - can Cioffi or Ladler line-up at S-OLB ?

Still say they should think of drafting a safety prospect - either Bo's brother Nelson or Alonzo Addae (W. Virginia) - and give that guy a shot to start at S right away = then be able to go 3 NIs on D ?
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

OV - 54:40 wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:53 pm
DanoT wrote:
Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:41 pm
Yeah - well that experiment worked out well for the Als - thought he was very solid there replacing the injured Loffler - guy can really hit/tackle but showed range and smarts.

With Bo, plus promising draft pick Williams and vet Konar - they could go NI at both MLB and W-OLB ? Bo could maybe be the main MLB? - and have 2 NIs on the field at those 2 spots all the time. But maybe they try Bo at S ? Again though - can Cioffi or Ladler line-up at S-OLB ?

Still say they should think of drafting a safety prospect - either Bo's brother Nelson or Alonzo Addae (W. Virginia) - and give that guy a shot to start at S right away = then be able to go 3 NIs on D ?
I just realized that Bo re-signed with the Lions earlier this week. Fantastic news! A Nat with size and speed and likes to hit; I don't care where they play him.
Reg18
Starter

I like the ideavbof getting the vyounger Lokombo. Hes done very well and it would make for good PR. Family connection playing together. Good talking points in the community.
Reg18
Starter

When is the 2021 draft?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Reg18 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:15 pm
When is the 2021 draft?
I don't think a CFL draft date has been announced. The Global draft is scheduled for April 15.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reg18 wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 1:15 pm
When is the 2021 draft?
It's usually around May 5th give or take a few days. Usually slots in about a week after the NFL Draft which is scheduled for April 29-May 1 this year.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Reg18 wrote:
Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:10 pm
I like the ideavbof getting the vyounger Lokombo. Hes done very well and it would make for good PR. Family connection playing together. Good talking points in the community.
That might be a tough get. Lokombo's prospect status puts him in a spot that doesn't really fit with where BC's draft slots are. It would be a reach to take him 5th overall and he's probably a long shot to still be available at 15. Much will depend on the interest NFL clubs show with the guys at the top end of the board. Obviously somebody like Chuba Hubbard will get drafted. Maybe 2 or 3 others. Guys who get drafted or get UDFA offers will be deemed risks for CFL teams which in turn will mean other prospects will shuffle up the list. The question is how far would that push Lokombo up the board. He was ranked 14th last fall and 19th in January. It's also looking like a DB heavy draft with him being the 6th ranked of 6 in the top 20 in January rankings.

While it's possible teams shying away from the NFL interests in prospects might push him up into a spot where he goes around 10 area the overall DB pool depth could have teams reaching down for other positions thinner at the top thinking they can get a good DB late 2nd early 3rd. That could leave Lokombo still there at 15. Depending on what BC's brass thinks or has priorities for they could do the same thing passing on Lokombo at 15 hoping he's still there 7 picks later at 22. Football drafts tend to follow positional trends and runs. With some depth in higher end prospects at DB what happens in the first round will dictate how things play out in the next round or two. If a couple of DBs come off the board in the 1st then there will likely be an urgency for others to grab one in the 2nd lest they all be gone by the 3rd. Conversely if none go in the 1st teams might opt for another position in the 2nd thinking there will still be a top DB available in the 3rd.

I think the snake ladder draft will also add a different dynamic. Let's say no DBs go before BC's pick at 5. BC won''t pick again until 15 with 10 draft slots in between. Because of the snake ladder effect and the Manziel trade there will only be 6 teams using those 10 picks. Odds 6 teams scooping up all 6 top ranked DBs in between BC's two slots are very slim as it's unlikely any of the 4 teams with two picks in between would use both on DBs.

Just to mess you up there's also Jevon Holland. His dad Robert had two stints with the Lions; 1990 for 3 games and 4 games in 1996 and all of 1997. He's declared himself eligible for the 2021 NFL Draft which immediately put into 5th in the CFL Draft prospects list. No doubt he will garner significant NFL interest though.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
cms22
Starter

grunching... good discussion.

i don't think there's any way that Hubbard or Holland ever step foot in the CFL...... i am generally in favor though of drafting marginal NFL prospects. did Rysen John stick with the Giants? i think he did, but not sure.

if we go heavy on canadians on defense, and we have good canadian WRs, where can we make up things with americans. lots of good canadians is great, but they tend to be quite expensive....... one thing i think Lions really need to focus on is pass rush. and i would look at what Seahawks did blitzing Jamal Adams from safety (strong/TE safety i think........... i think the strong safety = tight end safety. also run support safety so it probably depends)

the middle 3 of OLINE are 95%+ canadian. maybe sometimes the center is american.... and when winnipeg was terrible year after year, they went with an american OG just to protect the QB and bring some stability and it worked really well. great thinking by GM.

even with our struggles in recent years, i did think we have pretty good canadian talent, which is a major plus.
Champion

cms22 wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:00 pm
grunching... good discussion.

i don't think there's any way that Hubbard or Holland ever step foot in the CFL...... i am generally in favor though of drafting marginal NFL prospects. did Rysen John stick with the Giants? i think he did, but not sure.

if we go heavy on canadians on defense, and we have good canadian WRs, where can we make up things with americans. lots of good canadians is great, but they tend to be quite expensive....... one thing i think Lions really need to focus on is pass rush. and i would look at what Seahawks did blitzing Jamal Adams from safety (strong/TE safety i think........... i think the strong safety = tight end safety. also run support safety so it probably depends)

the middle 3 of OLINE are 95%+ canadian. maybe sometimes the center is american.... and when winnipeg was terrible year after year, they went with an american OG just to protect the QB and bring some stability and it worked really well. great thinking by GM.

even with our struggles in recent years, i did think we have pretty good canadian talent, which is a major plus.
The Bombers won the GC last season with a rookie plus an undrafted Canadian starting in their interior 3 O-line; i guess they abandoned the "great thinking" of having an American at OG - where they did not win anything.

Agreed that Holland and Hubbard will likely never set foot in the CFL. Chase Clapypool was a top prospect last draft but all CFL teams didn't even bother with a late round gamble pick.

CFL typical limited/myopic draft thinking often identifies "depth" or back-ups or more O-linemen as a priority - rather than thinking of potential impact players on O or D. Seems to me the Lions would have need at safety and D-Line, and there are some very good prospects at both spots = why not go there and take a shot at getting an impact starter right away ?
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has finally set a date for the 2021 national draft: Tuesday, May 4 at 4 p.m. PT. The first two hours will be televised on TSN. That’s just a few days after the NFL draft scheduled for April 29 to May 1.

https://www.cfl.ca/2021/03/30/cfl-annou ... nal-draft/
Reg18
Starter

This is shaspingbup tpo be a very competitive camp. Everywhere thgey look they are finding interesting talent. I expect onevbof thevinternational players to make the roster and the canadian draft quality looks alkso promissing and a lot of other signing look good also. The one rookie I will be watching cloisely will be QB Rourke. Hopefull they give him enough work so he can grow his game! If he looks good will Reilly pout and pull strings to hold Rourke
back? If he reacts badly then he may not finish his career as a lion. Money to spend elsewhere to improve the team.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

I think you guys go Logan Bandy at 4. He can play guard or tackle. The draft is deep in LBs and DBs, one of them is bound to be around in round 2.