3DownNation says 2021 Season May Not Happen

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

https://3downnation.com/2021/02/12/2021 ... 22-report/

3DownNation reporting that sources close to league executives are saying the 2021 season may not be plausible. No season would surely be the final nail in Ambrosie's coffin. While no one can control the Covid-19 situation, to let teams go through free agency signing players and paying bonuses only to cancel the season (again) a few months later would be unforgivable.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

this situation is not on RA. No one could have made a successful season under current conditions.

There is no money source to pay the bills without fans in the stands.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

This is a blatantly scalped version of an Edmonton Sun story that was based only on idle speculation from an anonymous source. He seems to suggest that the Eskimos have pared their staff to the bone and the rest of the league might be better off to do the same this year and plan for a return to play in 2022. I wouldn't put much credence in it. Here's the original story:

MODDEJONGE: Edmonton Football Team's hiring habits will forecast fate of CFL season
Qman
Champion

this classic 3down clickbait

... as BC Fan said its meaningless
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:08 pm
https://3downnation.com/2021/02/12/2021 ... 22-report/

3DownNation reporting that sources close to league executives are saying the 2021 season may not be plausible. No season would surely be the final nail in Ambrosie's coffin. While no one can control the Covid-19 situation, to let teams go through free agency signing players and paying bonuses only to cancel the season (again) a few months later would be unforgivable.
Cancelling a season would not be Ambrosie or any league commissioner's call without a vote and approval by the owners. Regardless of what happens its not on the comish.

I blame the Federal government's failure to procure enough vaccines as the reason that there likely won't be a season or there might be a shortened season at best.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hope the owners realize wiping out the entire 2021 season simply can't happen. Even if it's a 9-game season starting in September so be it.
The optics would look horrible especially given the millions upon millions being lost by the MLS with a TV deal that is not as lucrative to the league as a 9-team CFL. Hell, the Whitecaps began last season in an Orlando bubble and a Canadian bubble before being based out of Portland for the rest of the season. Now they are poised to start the new season with Salt Lake being their "home " field. Can''t imagine what their bottom line looks like.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:13 am
Hope the owners realize wiping out the entire 2021 season simply can't happen. Even if it's a 9-game season starting in September so be it.
The optics would look horrible especially given the millions upon millions being lost by the MLS with a TV deal that is not as lucrative to the league as a 9-team CFL. Hell, the Whitecaps began last season in an Orlando bubble and a Canadian bubble before being based out of Portland for the rest of the season. Now they are poised to start the new season with Salt Lake being their "home " field. Can''t imagine what their bottom line looks like.
Instead of referring to owners, it’s more accurate to say governors. The six private team owners can dig into their own pockets to subsidize their teams. David Braley and Bob Young were the most vocal in pushing for the CFL to play last year. Young even offered to cover the losses of other teams. The problem is the three community-owned teams don’t have a source of capital to subsidize their losses. Governors of those teams are the key decision-makers. They need to be convinced that their teams can survive the season.
Qman
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:58 am
SammyGreene wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 10:13 am
Instead of referring to owners, it’s more accurate to say governors. The six private team owners can dig into their own pockets to subsidize their teams. David Braley and Bob Young were the most vocal in pushing for the CFL to play last year. Young even offered to cover the losses of other teams. The problem is the three community-owned teams don’t have a source of capital to subsidize their losses. Governors of those teams are the key decision-makers. They need to be convinced that their teams can survive the season.
both Ex-imos and Riders have over $20million sitting in the bank.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Qman wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 3:17 pm

both Ex-imos and Riders have over $20million sitting in the bank.
Have over $20M? Or had as of last year's annual reports before Covid started eroding their cash reserves. The notoriously the grass is always greener in Saskatchewan Rider fans seem to be of the belief their Stabilization Fund has all but been exhausted. It had already shrunk considerably prior to Covid due to their own obligations towards Mosaic 2.0.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I doubt that Braley's estate would be on board with financing a cash loosing season.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 4:42 pm
I doubt that Braley's estate would be on board with financing a cash loosing season.
Braley reportedly left a pretty good nest egg to keep the Lions afloat for the next 2 or 3 years. Hard to guess whether he included extra to cover pandemic fallout. Certainly he knew well before we lost him that 2020 was a writeoff so I'm sure took that into consideration. As for the family and estate I suppose that would depend on what instructions he might have left behind.....and whether they choose to honour them.
maxlion
Legend

Report from Neil Macrae on 1040 this morning that Braley isn't ready to sell.

In all seriousness, having a dead owner ruling from the grave is less than ideal.

I read on 3downnation that the CFL might be planning to play without fans. Lets see. I think we are still a ways away from large scale public events. The free agency frenzy builds excitement, but without a plan, it is all just show.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

maxlion wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:31 pm
Report from Neil Macrae on 1040 this morning that Braley isn't ready to sell.

In all seriousness, having a dead owner ruling from the grave is less than ideal.
Lol. I see what you did there maxlion. Good one. :rotf:

In similar seriousness until the CFL can return to play with fannies in the seats I don't think the Lions are sellable. To be honest until the CFL can start playing games without attendance restrictions I don't think any franchises are sellable unless owners are willing to accept pennies on the dollar.
Big Time
Champion

TBH, I have never felt there would be a 2021 season and I really wonder if the league will return, at least as we know it. I've kind of thought that the league will have to fold, and allow TSN or maybe even the Rock to buy it on the cheap and start it up when they can have fans in the stands. That will allow them to walk away from all contracts, implement a much smaller salary cap, and try to find a way to viability. Given the way the vaccine rollout seems to be happening in Canada, I'm doubtful we get to a place where fans can be in the stands until at least 2022.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

right or wrong, for the last couple of decades I have felt that the league would be more successful as a single entity.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back