2020 U.S. Presidential Election Thread

Must be 18 to enter! Talk about anything but Football

Moderator: Team Captains

Who do you want to win the 2020 United States Presidential election on November 3, 2020?

Donald Trump (Republican / Mike Pence)
30%
Joe Biden (Democratic / Kamala Harris)
70%

Total votes: 10
BC 1988
Legend

After Trump's embarrassing TV speech last night (which most networks cut away from due to the lies/unfounded content), I'm glad he was allowed to make a fool of himself as much as he did. (Too bad he didn't start talking about Lizard People and Pizzagate).

Mitch McConnell is already distancing himself, trying to repackage the ravings in a more sane way.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

I was reading this morning that Trump has a clear path to 270 that he controls. He just has to lose 50 pounds.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/newspoli ... JWq-saYRog
If this is to be believed, it looks like most of the GOP and Trump's staff are looking at the very real problem of extricating Trump out of the White House when it's time for him to leave (since he has no intention of conceding).
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Trump's action is something you would expect from a 3rd world dictator.
BC 1988
Legend

First it was this:
https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as ... -1.5795402
Which sounds like something out of a Borat movie.

Now this:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... -fund-debt

Unreal.
BC 1988
Legend

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/trump-b ... d=74138438
More from the Bizarro World of Trumpism (this is how much appreciates his base--without which he would never had the past four years).
To remedy the prolonged money issues impacting the team's ability to fight past Election Day, the campaign launched an aggressive fundraising operation that includes relentlessly texting and emailing to solicit donations from supporters.
The campaign has fired off over 150 emails to supporters since Election Day, sometimes maxing out at over 20 emails in a single day, at times seemingly threatening supporters for donations.
"This is your FINAL NOTICE," one email warned. "So far, you've ignored all our emails asking you to join us in DEFENDING THE ELECTION. You've ignored Team Trump, Eric, Lara, Don, the Vice President AND you've even ignored the President of the United States."
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Sadly it will probably be another highly successful effort to separate hard working (albeit misguided) folks from their $$$. I believe that some of these fundraising efforts have indicated in the fine print (required by law I suppose) that upward of 60% of donations don't go to anything related to funding court challenges. Hey isn't Mr. Trump supposed to be a billionaire? Why would he need to solicit funds for these challenges (should be pocket change for one so rich). I get genuinely despicable people but I don't get why so many people seem to get taken in again and again and again by a group of clowns whose lack of veracity is rivaled only by the brightness of the sun on a clear day.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
MacNews
Team Captain

Regarding the result flip-flop from election night to the next day, this article is interesting:

https://fsociety.substack.com/p/2020-el ... have-merit
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't find the article particularly compelling for a number of reasons.

Georgia hand re-counted all of the ballots post election night and the tally's varied by only a small number. Kind of blows a hole in the machine counting fixing argument. In many states including 3 of those referenced, mail in ballots don't begin to get counted until election day. It doesn't seem like a stretch to suggest that there were a ton of Democratic votes waiting in the wings that wouldn't be considered until after the election day votes were considered. It was long predicted in advance that mail in votes were likely to favour Biden and in the end that appears to have been correct. Mail in ballots are sometimes an afterthought if the results of election day tallies put the result beyond doubt. They sit in secured spaces until they are shipped off to get counted. The pressure to count them isn't near as high if the outcome isn't in doubt. They also don't all arrive at the same time either. They need to be postmarked by election day in most states but that doesn't mean they have all been delivered. So it can take days for the true tabulation. It wasn't so long ago that media was being dominated by stories of the Trump administration choosing this particular time to start messing with the USPS....hmmm. These ballots also have an additional layers of processing (Opening, verification, counting). When they start counting them is up to the state and this election saw an unprecedented number of mail in ballots. In other elections, if the day's results are close enough, then they put the pedal to the metal so to speak to get the rest of those ballots counted. So you do a days voting, count those results, if the results are moderately close, then you get the mail in ballots and keep going. It is a long arduous day and I can see there being a break after the days results have been counted and checked before making a decision to get on with the mail in ballots. I can't say for sure what each state did on this but so far the allegations of wrong doing haven't appeared strong or credible so far.

Let's take a look at the Dominion Software that the author very obviously points out was used in the 4 states he references. It wasn't used in just those 4 states, in fact it was used by at least 24. Of those 24, a grand total of 6 went to Biden. Guess which states the Trump camp is on about? Seems a bit dodgy to suggest that the fix was in on 6 states while 18 that went Republican were all good. The author IMO tries to present as a neutral party here but really doesn't really convince me that he is in fact completely neutral. He doesn't provide any comparative data from previous elections nor does he take the time to look at the actual process that the states in question actually used. He is just about the numbers by his own admission. Numbers can be suggestive but that is about it. He does try somewhat faintly to make that point but when you add words like "don't prove fraud" to a conclusion it bears pointing out that the responsibility on a plaintiff is to "prove" fraud. Just looking at some statistical anomalies and then suggesting in a backhand way that fraud might be responsible for that kind result without actually saying it doesn't really cut it. Even his opening tagline sets the stage for the later innuendo.

Who is the source of this data? "Elliot Alderson". Now is it just a coincidence that that particular name is an alias for a "ethical hacker" on a TV series "Mr. Robot"? I don't know the first thing about it but I do know that other than the name, this particular article provides no other credentials for the author. He is also writing on a independent writers platform where basically anybody can write about anything. So while it is always a good thing to look at stuff from other perspectives, this one leave a lot of questions about providence unanswered. For good measure it also appears that this was his first and only article on that platform and that he appeared a mere 6 days ago.

If the evidence was there for wrong doing, you would think that it would have been laid bare in some of the 28 odd lawsuits that have been filed so far. I think the record stands at 1 for 28 right now and the 1 was not a significant vote changer. I have a hard time believing that 27 judges and various Republican dominated state election bodies are all working to fix the election against Donald Trump. At any rate, sorry for being so long winded. Insomnia can be a beootch sometimes.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:44 pm
it will never be over until Trump is out of the Whitehouse.

I have one theory that says that if it is decided that Trump lost the election, many of his supporters will respond with such violence that it might give Trump an excuse to enact some kind of martial law. If so, then who know where it could go from there.
Apparently things are now moving in that direction.

https://twitter.com/i/events/1346454323635527680
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Indeed. I will admit to some mild satisfaction that some of the GOP Senators that have been front in centre in enabling Trump appeared to some extent to finally realize just what they have supported for 4 years. Some of them will never be clean of the stain that was created yesterday. People like Ted Cruz, Mitch McConnell, Lindsey Graham, come to mind. But there are others as well who may have seen the writing on the wall and beat a pre-emptive retreat aren't going to be soon forgotten either. People like Kelly Conway, William Barr. It is also going to be notable for those few that had the courage in the GOP to disagree with Trump prior to this debacle. Mitt Romney, John McCain, Jeff Flake.

Regardless of the side of the fence one was on, it is really clear however that much of the world will never see the US the same again. Especially those that have been on the receiving end of the US's moralizing. Yesterday's turmoil was not an isolated event. We have seen 4 years of unending unrest, violent demonstrations, shootings and deaths. Unwittingly, that "Make America Great Again" idea has led to the US appearing weaker and more hypocritical than ever and in the face of all this, even today, Trump spouted a line about his being the best first term ever for a President. May the remaining days pass quickly and good luck to Biden going forward. He is going to have a very tough job trying to put that country back together in some kind of semblance of a united nation.

Can you imagine being on Trump's guard detail for the remainder of his life.
Last edited by Sir Purrcival on Thu Jan 07, 2021 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

How do you guard an ex president in jail?
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I'll believe he is going to jail when they lock the door. I call this idiot President Teflon for a reason. He has gotten away with BS his whole life and rather than getting punished for his misdeeds, he has ended up in the top job in the most powerful nation in the world with 70 plus million disciples and that is just in his own country. Heard there was a Pro Trump demonstration down in Vancouver yesterday and in Toronto. Enough to make one's stomach churn.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Trump's legacy:

- one term president

- impeached

- in one term, lost the White House, Senate and Congress

- liar

- racist
BC 1988
Legend

Particularly disgusting about the Capitol breach was the evidence of Capitol Police collusion--numerous Police/rioters selfies as they were allowed into the building. Also some of the insurgents carried zip ties, intending to take hostages (thwarted by the Secret Service).

Trump talks to his supporters like they are his attack dogs (ending the event with "time to GO HOME").

Now they are getting around to installing the barricades, but will it be enough to allow for the ceremony on the 20th?