Speculation is over. No season in 2020.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Despite uncertainties about the future of the franchise, the fate of the 2021 CFL season and the status of Mike Reilly’s contract, the Lions have invited season ticket-holders to attend a virtual town-hall meeting next Tuesday with Randy Ambrosie, Rick LeLacheur and Rick Campbell. They’re promising to introduce the 2021 coaching staff and answer questions about the state of the CFL and the franchise. I’ve signed up. I attended the last in-person town hall in 2019, where Reilly, then-coach DeVone Claybrooks and his staff were introduced amid an air of optimism about the state of the league and the Lions. That seems like such a long time ago.
Murdoch
All Star

Rule #1 Place blame with people who are no longer there

Rule #2 Deny knowledge of anything to do with it.

Reilly should be suing his agent for not being sure about the contract that was registered with the league.

Why should Lelacheur in his role as President be involved in player contract negotiations in the first place? Sounds like micro managing to me if he was.

I stick by the personal reasons were that the job sucked due to internal organizational conflict.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Murdoch wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:38 am
Rule #1 Place blame with people who are no longer there

Rule #2 Deny knowledge of anything to do with it.

Reilly should be suing his agent for not being sure about the contract that was registered with the league.

Why should Lelacheur in his role as President be involved in player contract negotiations in the first place? Sounds like micro managing to me if he was.

I stick by the personal reasons were that the job sucked due to internal organizational conflict.
LeLacheur would not have been involved in actual negotiations but should have expected to be kept in the loop of how things were progressing. As President he was ultimately responsible for how the GM was spending the Owner's money. It certainly isn't unusual across all sports that with huge contracts like this, relatively speaking, the GM would have to run the final agreement by the likes of the President and/or owner for final approval. With Braley's health being what it was then LeLacheur was likely acting on behalf of him in signing off on such a deal. The one thing that makes me think Hervey may have granted such a guarantee under the table is that it strikes me that Braley would never agree to guaranteeing a quarter of a million dollars to anybody.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Here's some follow-up comments from Farhan: https://3downnation.com/2020/11/11/farh ... -the-club/
Murdoch
All Star

Ask if they see a day when people of colour will have opportunity for a secure and stable future with the CFL beyond their playing career.
B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:24 pm
Despite uncertainties about the future of the franchise, the fate of the 2021 CFL season and the status of Mike Reilly’s contract, the Lions have invited season ticket-holders to attend a virtual town-hall meeting next Tuesday with Randy Ambrosie, Rick LeLacheur and Rick Campbell. They’re promising to introduce the 2021 coaching staff and answer questions about the state of the CFL and the franchise. I’ve signed up. I attended the last in-person town hall in 2019, where Reilly, then-coach DeVone Claybrooks and his staff were introduced amid an air of optimism about the state of the league and the Lions. That seems like such a long time ago.
Murdoch
All Star

Any other long time Grey Cup attendees feeling like there is something not quite right?

Obviously crazy, given the pandemic, but I could see some doing a candle light vigil in Regina. Those with streaks on the line particularly so.

Not suggesting or recommending, just saying.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:46 am
Any other long time Grey Cup attendees feeling like there is something not quite right?

Obviously crazy, given the pandemic, but I could see some doing a candle light vigil in Regina. Those with streaks on the line particularly so.

Not suggesting or recommending, just saying.
Not really. Like the season itself I find myself surprisingly ambivalent about it. But I can also say the same for the way the NHL and MLB seasons played out. I think I was more worried about there being a Grey Cup with no fans making it a Grey Cup I couldn't attend technically ending my streak at 37. I've had a room booked for 2021 in Hamilton for several months now. Hopefully there will be fans allowed and I can keep the streak alive. I reckon this cancelled season has saved me $10,000.
Murdoch
All Star

Hambone wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:09 pm
Not really. Like the season itself I find myself surprisingly ambivalent about it. But I can also say the same for the way the NHL and MLB seasons played out. I think I was more worried about there being a Grey Cup with no fans making it a Grey Cup I couldn't attend technically ending my streak at 37. I've had a room booked for 2021 in Hamilton for several months now. Hopefully there will be fans allowed and I can keep the streak alive. I reckon this cancelled season has saved me $10,000.
37 consecutive Grey Cups is an amazing feat that shows as much grit and determination as any CFL player has ever put forth. To do it on your own dime makes it that much more impressive.

I would love to see a fan section added to the CFL Hall of Fame in recognition of the true heros of the game. Somehow that doesn't seem to be a priority the CFL is considering.

I was never going to be a contender for the longest streak and broke it after attending a Grey Cup in each franchise city. I had the tickets mounted and framed and still claim it to be my most expensive piece of art. If there is ever a game in Halifax, I will be there.
Murdoch
All Star

Hi-jacked a thread to post a reminder if anyone is looking for a stocking stuffer type gift for potential young fans, CFL player card packs are available from the cflpa.com website.

Seems a worthy cause given the year they have had.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:11 pm
Here's an updated list of players who have officially opted out of their contracts so far, according to cfl.ca. Four Lions on the list are K Sergio Castillo, WR Jevon Cottoy, LB/DB Kenny Ladler and DT Ryan Brown.

https://www.cfl.ca/2020/08/26/tracking- ... -opt-outs/
Interesting article here on K Sergio Castillo who has caught on with the Jets (yikes, between our Leos last year and the Jets this year....that's a lot of losing!). BTW, who knew he was making $90K per year here? :shock:

https://torontosun.com/sports/football/ ... all-league

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1564542
Farhan on with Donnie and the Moj (Dhaliwal) yesterday. Great little Lions segment begins at 6:53. Rick Dhaliwal starts about his conversation with MacEvoy on the Mike Reilly contract resolution.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

My Air BnB landlord here in Mazatlan hooked my room up with TiviMate. It's like being hooked up through the internet to every possible channel offered. A couple nights ago while channel surfing I stumbled on to FS1 (Fox Sports 1) and a broadcast of a The Spring League game between the Blues and Generals. I think it was a replay of a game from 2 months ago. Anyways I quickly picked up on Lions neg list QB and ex-Mich Wolverine Shea Patterson playing for the Blues. Lirim Hajrullahu was kicking for the Generals. The next day I dug into the rosters of the various teams and stumbled on our 1st round draft pick Jordan Williams also being on the Blues roster. Wish I'd known that while I was watching the game. Before anybody gets all excited about that The Spring League is strictly a development vehicle. It's kinda like a combination tryout camp/skills development camp/training camp with a slate of exhibition games all played out of the same facility over a couple months. To qualify players must have been eligible for a past NFL draft. They don't receive any money for playing. They only receive room and board while there.
Reg18
Starter

If we dont nplay in 2021 then its time for a major restart and getting rid of thecommissioner is job 1 and then nerd to di some brasinstorming at nrxt moves. We have to find a eay to move forward and get a workable framework for all teams. Maybe mote community owned teams moight help but how do we get there? The privately owned teas atre probably cvlose to being non viablke financially so mnaybe the ownerts migjht be psuafed yo sell to thecommunith. Thenmaybe fund raisoing coiuld begin with a national lottery scheme and otherr innovative approaches the riders have survived over the years by being innovative folloiw their lead. The lions need nbew ownetship now so lets start thete. Form a community ownertship group and sell shares to the community. It aint rocket sciuence. Just need to get started.