2019-20 Vancouver Canucks/NHL Season Thread

Discuss the NHL, NFL, CIS, NCAA, Lacrosse, Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Motorsports, Golf, Rugby, Amateur Sport, Curling, Wrestling ... Whatever Sport or Leisure activity you like!

Moderator: Team Captains

Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Dusty wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Sir Purrcival wrote:
Sat Aug 22, 2020 12:13 am
I try not to watch them because I am convinced I am a jinx and so far that seems to be helping.
Haha, I'm in the exact same situation.... I do not want to watch or listen and I avoid any knowledge of the game as when I have watched or listen to their games, they have sank like a stone. I'll catch the highlights after the game.

My motto is "Doing what I can't to help the Canucks succeed!".....

Interestingly, one of my friends does the same thing with the Lions....
I think your friend needs to not watch the Lions more :rotf:
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Good rebound by the ;canucks: to win game 2 and tie the series. :thup:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Even though the NHL is based out of Canada as are the two playoff venues, it looks like has followed suit of the protest of the Jacob Blake shooting by postponing all games.

While it will give the ;canucks: more rest, hopefully it won't ruin their strong momentum from game 2. :cr:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It looks like despite winning two games in the playoff series against the Canucks, the Blues decided that Jake Allen will still not be their starting goaltender next season and traded him off to the Canadiens for two draft picks (third and seventh rounds in 2020).

--------
It's fair to say that Demko will start in game 6 as well given his great performance in game 5.
祝你龍年行大運。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Canucks' cinderella playoff run over for another year. The best team won.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

New York Islanders eliminate Philadelphia with a 4-0 victory in game 7. Will now play the Tampa Bay Lightning.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I agree. If Vancouver had managed to somehow scrape through, it might have seemed to lack a bit of credibility. You can't get outplayed the way they got outplayed in the last 3 games and really believe you are a legitimate contender. That said, they had a terrific run and this may well pay dividends in the future.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
BC 1988
Legend

Agree completely. Had the Canucks advanced to the West Final, they would have set records for winning while being statistically outplayed. Too bad, because Dallas looks more vulnerable than Vegas.

Even with the question of key players availability, Tampa Bay should get past NYI, and face VGK for the Cup (giving Sekeres plenty of time to ramp up his shtick that Vegas had an unfair advantage when they entered the league with too generous expansion conditions.)
BC 1988
Legend

Dallas upset Vegas using Khudobin, their backup goalie, after starter Ben Bishop went back on the "unfit to play" list. Vegas coach DeBoer gave Thatcher Demko a compliment by saying he had got into their heads that they couldn't score and it carried over to the Dallas series.

Dallas now waits for the winner of NYI/TBL, which could be decided tonight.
BC 1988
Legend

Dallas vs Tampa Bay Stanley Cup final begins Saturday, then games Monday, Wednesday, Friday, with a back-to-back Game 5 on Saturday. TBL are coming off a punishing series vs NYI, with several key parts out or obviously playing hurt. Maybe their depth will be enough to beat Khudobin, but well rested Dallas has to feel better about their chances right now.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Bummer that Quinn Hughes had to settle as the runner-up for the Calder Memorial Trophy. :bang:
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As much as I hate to see Markstrom leave I think it was a good FA day today for Benning. Retaining Markie would have kept them up against it cap-wise for a few years. Adding Holtby gives them a solid tandem with Demkoand sets up for the transition to Demko as the starter. At the same time it sets them up for the expansion draft as Holtby's contract structure allows them to make him available for the Kraken expansion draft.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

As much as I hate to see Markstrom leave I think it was a good FA day today for Benning. Retaining Markie would have kept them up against it cap-wise for a few years. Adding Holtby gives them a solid tandem with Demkoand sets up for the transition to Demko as the starter. At the same time it sets them up for the expansion draft as Holtby's contract structure allows them to make him available for the Kraken expansion draft.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.