COVID-19 : How it could impact Lions/CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:59 am
Can such distractions be a concern? I thought the idea of the bubble is that players can only leave the bubble (hotel/residence) to get on the charter bus to be delivered to the stadium or practice facility and returned. Like the old "Go to Jail" card in Monopoly...…...do not pass go, do not collect $200.

Having said that it's not like pro athletes haven't been known to sneak out of hotels in the past when they were supposed to be safely tucked into their beds...…….or be known to sneak back into the hotels many hours after curfew...……..sometimes to be greeted by the coach in the hotel lobby. :)
I think we would be extremely naive to think that all 400-500 alpha male twenty-somethings will behave like Boy Scouts for several months, being cooped up in a controlled area ("the bubble") while having the free time that CFLers are afforded.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/23/cfl- ... 20-season/
This maybe just a CFLPA negotiating tactic, or the End Is Near.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:28 am
https://3downnation.com/2020/07/23/cfl- ... 20-season/
This maybe just a CFLPA negotiating tactic, or the End Is Near.
This story is based on a recent CFLPA survey of its membership after the league initially proposed a 6-game schedule for 33% of contracted salaries. Negotiations with the CFLPA are ongoing to reach a more favourable deal that can be presented to the players for a formal vote. The league had set a deadline of today to reach agreement but both sides said the deadline could be extended to Friday.

Farhan Lalji and Dave Naylor of TSN discussed the negotiations and the prospect of federal government assistance Thursday. Lalji there's a lot of optimism from both sides as the league and CFLPA approach the deadline for reaching a deal on an amended CBA for a partial 2020 season. Naylor said they hoped to use an agreement to obtain a pledge of federal financial assistance next week, perhaps in the form of a low-interest loan from the Business Development Bank.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl/video/lalji-fina ... ly~2001140
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The latest update from Farhan Lalji on the CFL's self-imposed deadline day for reaching a tentative deal with the CFLPA:
“This is just a prediction, but my gut says we are going to get a deal done, we are going to get government money and we are still not going to see a CFL game played,” Lalji said. “I just think there are a lot of hurdles to overcome and none of this is a guarantee we are going to see games.”
“There needs to be movement today”: Lalji on CBA talks
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFLPA has issued a statement saying both sides have agreed to extend the deadline for reaching a new CBA to next week pending decisions on government funding and health protocols.

https://3downnation.com/2020/07/24/cfl- ... eason-cba/

According to Farhan Lalji of TSN and Dan Barnes of Postmedia, the CFLPA is briefing player reps today and plans to hold a town hall meeting with players on Monday.
BC 1988
Legend

Sol-E continues to express frustration with the lack of communication from the league. This morning he responds to Farhan's optimistic tweet from the POV of the CFLPA.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The biggest news in Farhan's report was that players would be expected to report to Winnipeg Sept. 14 and isolate for six days before training camp begins. That means play won't start until October. I wonder if that timeline is a necessity given the logistics involved in planning for the bubble or if it's driven by TV partner TSN not wanting to squeeze the CFL into a busy September sports calendar that will likely include the NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB and MLS.

As for the negotiations, the good news is that they're continuing but there appears to be a bit of a Catch-22 situation developing with the CFL and CFLPA waiting for word on government funding before negotiating monetary items and the federal and provincial governments waiting for the certainty of a new CBA before approving any funding.

Ottawa, provinces awaiting certainty from CFL, league source says
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:21 am

I think we would be extremely naive to think that all 400-500 alpha male twenty-somethings will behave like Boy Scouts for several months, being cooped up in a controlled area ("the bubble") while having the free time that CFLers are afforded.

Normally I'd totally agree. But as numerous players have found in the past doing so only hurt themselves. Maybe they'd wind up puking their guts out at practice the next day or maybe not be as sharp during a game. This time though hopefully they realize that one guy sneaking out of the bubble has the potential, however remote, to bring his whole team, perhaps the whole league, down with him.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

The CFL has a chance (if it can ever get its collective s**t together) to one-up the NFL as that league seems to be following MLBs start-up model of having its teams travel city-to-city instead of a bubble approach. If Wave 2 occurs in the Fall, that plan could all go sideways. As it is, MLB is discovering that this maybe wasn't the smartest approach as 14 players on the Marlins recently tested positive for COVID-19, potentially threatening the season. Now imagine a non-bubble model with rosters as large as the NFL's and it seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 9:05 am
The CFL has a chance (if it can ever get its collective s**t together) to one-up the NFL as that league seems to be following MLBs start-up model of having its teams travel city-to-city instead of a bubble approach. If Wave 2 occurs in the Fall, that plan could all go sideways. As it is, MLB is discovering that this maybe wasn't the smartest approach as 14 players on the Marlins recently tested positive for COVID-19, potentially threatening the season. Now imagine a non-bubble model with rosters as large as the NFL's and it seems to me to be a recipe for disaster.

I don't know if there's a right answer because the leagues are dealing with different circumstances. There is no comparison between a possible NFL bubble and what the others would have to endure. While the non-bubble model does seem ripe for disaster for the NFL I don't know that a bubble model would be any more feasible.

NBA and NHL are the most similar as both had already completed 75%+ of their regular seasons. They were dealing with how to complete their seasons and award their championship. They also left a total of 15 teams out of their combined 61 teams out. By mid August the original combined 46 teams who started out in the bubble will be weeded down to 32. For 8 of 24 NHL teams their bubble stay will only last 2 weeks. By the 1st of September both leagues will be down to 8 teams. The two NHL teams fortunate enough to make the Stanley Cup finals will have to endure the bubble only 10 weeks. For those making the NBA finals it could be 12 weeks. All other teams are looking at 8 weeks or less (NHL) or 10 weeks or less (NBA).

MLB is trying to play a complete meaningful season although some would argue 60 games doesn't meet that criteria. Because baseball is weather-restricted they pretty much had no choice but to go the short season route. Only 4 NHL and NBA teams will be have to be in their respective bubbles for roughly the same time frame as all 30 MLB teams would have to endure if they went the bubble route. With 15 games per day they would need a minimum of 5 bubbles. 12 weeks in a bubble would be the max for 14 of the 30 teams. 8 of the 16 teams making the playoffs will join the other 14 within a week as the first playoff series is a best of 3.

NFL is an entirely different kettle of fish than the other leagues and CFL. They normally wouldn't be starting training camps until now. Weather doesn't restrict them. They can attempt to play their normal season and full playoffs. Where the other leagues would see the bulk of their teams being in a bubble for no more than 12 weeks all 32 NFL teams would have to spend 5 months minimum in a bubble under that scenario; up to 6 months for the Super Bowl combatants.
Murdoch
All Star

Getting crazier by the day. 1500 football players in a dome for 12 weeks will result in a murder never mind death by a pandemic. CFL needs to call the season and figure out a way to get the players paid just like everyone else is getting paid. Focus on, or at least prepare for a proper 2021 season. I personally don't see the league surviving at this rate to be honest.

From the ideas from the left field wall warning track, is it possible the CFLPA could make a deal with a different party? Is this something that Vince McMahon could look at and use to relaunch one more time. If it is CFL level play then I am going to watch regardless if they happen to be in St Louis, Memphis, Shreveport or where ever. XFL II wasn't that far off imo. purrfect timing now to plan for a spring league.

Wishing all a great August long. Enjoy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Interesting concept Murdoch. Doubt Vince would try again. Covid put XFL 2.0 out of business. Or rather it gave him a convenient and timely out when he was already losing a ton more money and that was with fans allowed in the stands and a TV contract in his pocket. I think at 75 Vince is mercifully done with football. All he's doing is blowing his kids inheritance.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The XFL’s assets are all up for sale, including the league and team names, uniforms and equipment. There are odds on several potential buyers, including the CFL at +1,000.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sportsbetti ... -odds/amp/
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:29 pm
The XFL’s assets are all up for sale, including the league and team names, uniforms and equipment. There are odds on several potential buyers, including the CFL at +1,000.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/sportsbetti ... -odds/amp/
I am not a betting guy so I assumed that +1,000 means 1 chance in 1,000. But in the article they quote McMahon at +400 and then state that if you bet $100 and McMahon buys back the XFL, you would get $400.???? The article also had at least 2 typo mistakes that I noticed, so...????
Murdoch
All Star

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:29 pm
Wonder how many footballs they have? I'm guessing bargain prices at best unless the NFL just takes it out of circulation. If someone was ever to be starting an 8 team league somewhere it would help.

I interpret the odds as one in a thousand that the CFL is the likely candidate. Putting this under speculative with possible upside. Stay tuned.