Eskimos: change your name

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

When I was in elementary school we were taught about the Eskimos (people, not team). We watched Nanook of the North and other National FIlm Board of Canada documentaries about Eskimos. We learned about kyaks, seal hunting, and blubber. As kids we were fascinated by these exotic people known as Eskimos.

In grade 7 we were assigned pen pals from Chesterfield Inlet in Nunavut (then NWT). A group of students and teachers from Chesterfield Inlet actually came to North Delta (Hellings Elementary) for week. We got to meet real Eskimos in real life!

And yes my overuse of the word "Eskimo" in the above two paragraphs is deliberate.

"Eskimo" was the term that was used back then. It was what my generation (and previous generations) were taught. I don't know if my teachers were aware of the racist history of that word. I certainly don't recall any racist undertones in the lessons we received. Our pen pals from Chesterfield Inlet referred to themselves as Eskimos because that's what they too were taught about their own people. They too were not taught (many by non-indigenous teachers) the history of that word.

So when CFL fans, particularly white middle aged fans, defend keeping the Eskimo nickname as a sign of "respect" for the Inuit, it's because they were never taught that that word was actually an insult. When Inuit people themselves say they are OK with a CFL team being called Eskimos, it is because they were never aware of the history. And that doesn't make either group racist or self loathing. Just blissfully unaware.

The nickname Eskimo needs to be retired. It's an outdated relic of a colonial past. Canada is just starting to come to terms with the systemic racism (particularly in indigenous schools ) in our nation's history. They don't teach children about "Eskimos" in school today because we now know better.
Murdoch
All Star

Stealing one from indoor soccer: The Edmonton Honor

One I thought up on my own: The Eddies
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

In keeping with the Empire theme, how about EWOKS
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Robbie
Hall of Famer

It's official that the Washington Redskins will change their nickname and logo to a new name TBD. I wonder if this will cause a huge chain reaction with the changing of all remaining controversial sports team names.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Heard that the new name will be the Redtails.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Well, I guess once the name is changed, Mr. Snyder won't feel the need to donate to native causes any more. Every action has a consequence. In the years to come, I wonder if any of those charities will come to regret the loss of funds?
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

Name suggestion. The Edmonton Endurance. Keep the same logo.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Sir Purrcival wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:49 pm
Name suggestion. The Edmonton Endurance. Keep the same logo.
There are lots of options for keeping the logo. I suggested Edmonton Elk. Others have said Edmonton Empire.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I like Easy Riders
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
maxlion
Legend

I suspect the name will be Empire. Personally not a fan of empires. Not sure of the relevance to Edmonton other than it was a part of an empire, just like every corner of the globe? And starts with the letter E.

I prefer elk. Majestic animals. Are there many elk in Edmonton?
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

How about Edmonton FC. ?
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:31 pm
How about Edmonton FC. ?
Too late. Edmonton FC already exists as a team in the CPL soccer league.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I don't know about Empire. Aside from the obvious Star Wars parallels, Empire isn't exactly a positive connotation word. I mean if people are gonna complain about things like Avalanche because they kill people, what are people going to say about about a name that refers to a political structure ruled by a supreme leader/dictator. They already have the conservative party, how much more empire do they need or can stomach?
BC 1988
Legend

I would have laughed at the idea of EDM "Empire", since it's past use seemed to be more of a disparaging term (like the EE=Evil Empire).
https://www.esks.com/join-the-empire/
No idea how long that has been up, but it sure looks like they want everyone to embrace the Empire (Evil or otherwise). :rotf:

https://www.ic.gc.ca/app/opic-cipo/trdm ... ng&tab=reg
EDIT: Ok it looks like they have been getting ready for this since March 2018--no doubt in reaction to the ongoing demands to drop the offending nickname.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Hambone wrote:
Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:53 am
TheLionKing wrote:
Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:31 pm
How about Edmonton FC. ?
Too late. Edmonton FC already exists as a team in the CPL soccer league.
Do you remember of cases in which a city had two sports teams with the same nickname?
I easily remember that for the city of St. Louis from 1960 to 1987, both their NFL football team and their MLB baseball team were named the Cardinals.

With regards to Edmonton's sports teams, their official name for their CPL soccer team is FC Edmonton:

And as such, Edmonton's CFL team can still be officially name Edmonton FC or Edmonton Football Club as they are still officially different and will be similar to Baltimore's CFL team in 1994 when they were officially called the Baltimore Football Club.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。