Greatest touchdowns in Lions' history

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Was thinking about this last night. When you factor in importance and execution, what comes to mind for greatest Lions touchdowns?

Obviously, the Miracle at McMahon (McManus to Flutie) tops most anyone's list. The spiralling arc from Dewalt to Armour in the 1985 Grey Cup was a thing of beauty too. But considering the importance of the moment (2016 Western Semi-Final when we were down 31-19 in the 4th quarter, only to rally back) and sheer athleticism of Jennings, escaping the pocket, outmaneuvering defenders and diving for the endzone, this one is right up there. Any others come to mind?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I've watched that 2016 WSF several times lately, and Jennings' touchdown seems more special each time. Seeing it live right in front of me was great but I've seen some fan videos that made it even more memorable, with the packed crowd leaping with euphoria and exchanging high-fives as Jennings escaped outside and leaped across the goal line.

Jennings broke down the play to Matt Baker last week. It was supposed to be a quick out to Bryan Burnham on the boundary side but Burnham and Stephen Adekolu, who was playing for the injured Manny Arceneaux, both got jammed and ended up in the same area. Chris Rainey was the second read but he appeared to be double covered. As Jennings felt the pocket break down, he managed to escape to the right and saw Taylor Loffler bearing down on him. He beat him to the outside with a stutter step before taking on the final defender and leaping for the goal line. The whole sequence is worth watching with Jennings' narration.

I would rank it among the greatest touchdowns in Lions history. Here are some other favourites:

1. Darren Flutie's Miracle at McMahon TD in the snow in the West Final in 1994.
2. Geroy Simon's 13-yard TD catch from Spergon Wynn against double coverage in the final regular season game of 2004 at B.C. Place to give the Lions a 40-38 win over Saskatchewan and clinch first place.
3. Jennings' 20-yard TD pass and 2-point convert to Bryan Burnham as time expired to force overtime in a 35-32 win against Hamilton at B.C. Place on Sept. 22, 2018.
David
Team Captain

I recall a few more that were special.

November 14, 2010 - The Travis Lulay to Emmanuel Arceneaux "Hail Mary," when Manny outjumped a group of Rider defenders at the back of the endzone to force overtime (we ended up losing 41-38).

August 21, 2002 - Damon Allen to Alfred Jackson on a spectacular 109-yard catch and run to mount a late comeback against the Als at B.C. Place. Carl Kidd sealed it with an interception as the crowd went crazy.

August 31, 1977 - Jerry Tagge spotted Jim Young in Ottawa endzone as time expired on the clock. Young calmly tossed the ball over his shoulder touching off a wild celebration. We win 27-24 to go 6-2 on the year. FINALLY a winner!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

When it comes to such lists, the usual and obvious is always mentioned and as such, I have a tendency to mention the more underrated and possibly forgotten Lions touchdowns. As such, I'll do the same thing with what I consider to be Lions touchdowns which were unfortunately overshadowed by other Lions TD's.

#1 - Robert Drummond in the 2000 Grey Cup
I stated countless times that the 2000 Grey Cup is by far the most unpopular Lions championship win and along with that, the 2000 Grey Cup MVP Robert Drummond. The Lions were clinging on to a 12-10 lead early in the fourth quarter when Robert Drummond made a 44-yard touchdown run on 3rd down which gave the Lions some breathing room and seemed to shift the momentum back to the Lions, seen at 0:47:

#2 - Eric Streater in the 1988 WDF
When it comes to Lions WDF wins, the most underrated may be the 1988 WDF in which the Lions went to Commonwealth which is usually a hell hole but came out with a playoff win in that stadium for the very first time. Late in the fourth quarter after Dunigan threw a TD pass to David Williams to give the Lions some breathing room, Dunigan then threw a desperate pass on a broke play which was caught by Eric Streater with one hand and ran for another Lions TD to seal the deal at 1:45:04:

And in the replay at 1:46:43 you could clearly hear Matt Dunigan use the f-word to an Eskimo defender.

#3 - Darren Flutie by KENT AUSTIN in the 1994 WDF
Everybody remembers that Danny McManus pass to Darren Flutie in the last play, and that was Darren Flutie's 3rd and final TD of that game. The second TD catch was also thrown by Danny McManus. But very few people may remember that the first TD catch by Darren Flutie was thrown by the underrated Kent Austin on a very long 49-yard TD pass and run at 55:17:

#4 - Jason Clermont from Dave Dickenson in the 2004 Grey Cup
Yes it's been debated to death as to whether 2004 MOP Casey Printers should have played over Dave Dickenson. But no doubt the Dickenson and the Lions offence started off strong in the first drive after kickoff, Dickenson led the Lions down the field a using a fake handoff to Antonio Warren, threw a pass to game MOC Jason Clermont which confused the camera man as he focused the camera on Warren and thus, missed the touchdown catch by Clermont at 7:25:

Fortunately, the other cameraman managed to catch the pay on replay.

Three other honourable mentions which don't have highlights to:

#5 - David Williams by Matt Dunigan on October 29, 1988
In the second-to-last regular 1988 season game, the Lions romped over the Eskimos 51-16 and David Williams scored four touchdowns. His last touchdown involved catching a pass near the sidelines, and then quickly eluded two Eskimo defenders to run for the touchdown.

#6 - Darren Flutie by Doug Flutie on October 6, 1991
The Lions always had a tough time with Calgary in the 1991 season and lost the first three regular season games. But the Lions got one back in the fourth and final regular season game between the two teams in Calgary with a 49-34 win highlighted by a very long pass from Doug Flutie to Darren Flutie who was completely wide open.

#7 - Eric Carter in the 2000 WDF
When it comes to defensive Lions touchdowns, most people will remember Keith Gooch in the 1985 WDF and Charles Gordon in the 1994 GC. But similar to point #1 above about how 2000 season is unpopular, then along with is the 2000 WDF in which the Lions went to Calgary in which the Lions defence rose to the occasion and forced seven turnovers on 2000 MOP Dave Dickenson highlighted by a second quarter 52-yard TD interception return by Eric Carter to give the Lions a huge lead and the Lions never looked back in a solid 37-23 win and as I stated before, my avatar shows the post-win celebration.

-------------

Finally, how about an overrated Lions touchdown. With all due respect to all Lions players who score a touchdown, some players and plays always get a lot more attention and coverage over other underrated players and plays and as such, they might be considered overrated given the fact that the player and possibly season wasn't a great one overall.

#8 - Raymond "the Missile" Ethridge TD kickoff return on August 1, 1991
In a see-saw battle between the Lions and the Argonauts, the Lions game out in the end after trailing a lot in the first half. Entering overtime, tied at 38-38 the Argonauts scored a field goal, but the subsequent kickoff was returned by Ray Ethridge. The Lions scored another TD to win the game 52-41 with Ethridge's touchdown at 4:10:

But overall in 1991 aside from Doug Flutie and his MOP performance, were the Lions a great team overall? NO! :bang:
The Lions had a disgusting defence :puke: which often allowed the opponents to score lots of points which always ruined the hard-earned points from Doug Flutie and the Lions offence. And Ray Ethridge is certainly NOT a Lions legend as he was released by the team just a few games after that game.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Grey Cup touchdowns are always memorable because of the huge stakes involved.

David mentioned Roy Dewalt's spiralling arc to Ned Armour in the 1985 Grey Cup. At 84 yards, it still holds the record for the longest pass play in B.C.'s Grey Cup history.

Two key second-half TDs from the Lions' most recent Grey Cup victory at B.C. Place in 2011 are among my favourites.
1. Travis Lulay's 66-yard TD pass to Kierrie Johnson was the longest play of the game and gave the Lions a 23-9 lead at the end of the third quarter. Johnson used his great speed to blow past Winnipeg's all-star DB Jonathan Hefney but had to wait for the ball just beyond Hefney's fingertips. It was Johnson's first career touchdown.
2. Arland Bruce put the team on his shoulders in the fourth quarter, starting with a diving 15-yard second-down catch that was first ruled incomplete. He added a 25-yarder on the drive before capping it with a post pattern in the end zone from 6 yards out to stretch the B.C. lead to 31-9. The Bombers tried to rally but fell short 34-23. (The TD drive starts at 1:06 of the video.)
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 2:53 pm
Grey Cup touchdowns are always memorable because of the huge stakes involved.

Two key second-half TDs from the Lions' most recent Grey Cup victory at B.C. Place in 2011 are among my favourites.
1. Travis Lulay's 66-yard TD pass to Kierrie Johnson was the longest play of the game and gave the Lions a 23-9 lead at the end of the third quarter. Johnson used his great speed to blow past Winnipeg's all-star DB Jonathan Hefney but had to wait for the ball just beyond Hefney's fingertips. It was Johnson's first career touchdown.
2. Arland Bruce put the team on his shoulders in the fourth quarter, starting with a diving 15-yard second-down catch that was first ruled incomplete. He added a 25-yarder on the drive before capping it with a post pattern in the end zone from 6 yards out to stretch the B.C. lead to 31-9. The Bombers tried to rally but fell short 34-23. (The TD drive starts at 1:06 of the video.)
Yeah, Grey Cup touchdowns may be extremely memorable given the huge stakes, but being involved in such a memorable play does not automatically make that particular player an immediate legend. When it comes to listing favourite players, those who are involved in memorable plays are not always automatically listed. When it comes to any discussion about favourite BC Lions receivers, I dare say no Lions fan would put receivers Kierrie Johnson and Arland Bruce III too high on their list and the same thing applies to Ned Armour as well.

The Lions only made one touchdown in the 2006 Grey Cup while Paul McCallum scored the rest of the 19 points. I wonder if most Lions fans would remember who scored the TD off the top of their head. Even if Lion fans do remember it was Ian Smart, I'd say if there's a discussion on favourite Lions kick returners and running backs, Smart will not be mentioned even though he scored the only Lions TD on a 25-yard lateral pass from Buck Pierce at 36:55:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Since it was always so difficult to score a touchdown in Edmonton, let alone winning there then I'll list three more Lions TD's in Edmonton:

#1 - Jim Sandusky on November 1, 1987
The Lions and Eskimos were battling for first in the west, and the Lions scored 17 unanswered points in the 4th quarter to edge the Eskimos 33-32 to clinch first in the west, highlighted by a Dewalt to Sandusky pass at 6:49:

#2 - Tony Cherry in the 1988 WDF
Prior to this game, the Lions never scored a single touchdown in a playoff game against the Eskimos. This all changed early in the 1988 WDF when Matt Dunigan hit running back Tony Cherry on a long pass and run play at 15:20:

#3 - Blocked punt for a TD in the 1994 WDSF
Special teams for the Lions took over in the second quarter in the 1994 WDSF by blocking a punt for a TD to re-take the lead at 47:15:

As a bonus, the Eskimos upset the Lions at home in the WDF of 1987 and 2005 when Vancouver was going to host the Grey Cup, denying the opportunity to play the Grey Cup at home. Fortunately, this wouldn't happen in the 2011 WDF when the Lions didn't allow the Eskimos to be upset them with a solid 40-23 win, highlighted by some great plays by Lulay.

#4 - Lulay TD pass to Simon, and long TD run by Lulay
Great long TD pass to Geroy Simon at 0:30 in the second quarter to take control of the game, and then at 4:32 to see Lulay run for a long 61-yard TD run to seal the deal.
Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
祝你龍年行大運。
BC 1988
Legend

Robbie wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:03 pm
Prior to this game, the Lions never scored a single touchdown in a playoff game against the Eskimos. This all changed early in the 1988 WDF when Matt Dunigan hit running back Tony Cherry on a long pass and run play at 15:20:
Thanks for the link. I never saw this game because I was on a VIA Rail trip from Fredericton-Vancouver (While the route still went through Calgary). I was a BC resident in time to watch the 1988 GC.

Interesting that it's a recording of an ESPN CFN telecast (which only ran from 1987-89 in the US).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_Network
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Darren Flutie's "Miracle at McMahon" tops of the list for me of course but Geroy delivered a couple of epic TDs during the Lions great run in the 2000s —  the first to beat the Riders at Mosiac in 2007 then to break the Eskimos hearts 2 years later a Commonwealth on passes from Jarious Jackson and Buck Pierce.

2007 to beat Riders

2009 to beat Eskimos
Robbie
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:07 pm
Geroy delivered a couple of epic TDs during the Lions great run in the 2000s —  the first to beat the Riders at Mosiac in 2007 then to break the Eskimos hearts 2 years later a Commonwealth on passes from Jarious Jackson and Buck Pierce.

2007 to beat Riders

2009 to beat Eskimos
No doubt Geroy Simon caught several long TD passes as a BC Lion, including one from Travis Lulay at the first game at Empire Field in 2010, a 98-yard TD catch and run:

I mentioned this before and I'll say this again. Whenever there's a discussion about great Quarterback-Receiver tandems, unfortunately Geroy Simon won't be in such a list because all of his quarterbacks who have thrown good passes to him are all dispersed among:

Damon Allen, Spergon Wynn, Dave Dickenson, Casey Printers, Buck Pierce, Jarious Jackson, Travis Lulay, Mike Reilly, and Thomas DeMarco.
祝你龍年行大運。
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

It's pretty difficult to go against the Flutie catch in the 94 WDF not just for that catch but for the huge reception he made on the preceding play to set the table for the short game winner with no time on the clock. In hindsight the first catch may have been bigger than the game winner.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Harry Holt's touchdown against the Edmonton Eskimos which finally snapped the Lions' losing streak against their arch nemesis.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

I will tell you which Lions TD will NOT rank in the anywhere in the top 20 when it comes to greatest TD's in Lions' history despite its huge sentimental background behind it as it involves legend Lui Passaglia.

First, as a warm-up. If there's a discussion on Lui's greatest field goal, we all know which one it is. But I dare say not even in his top 10 greatest field goals would most Lion fans mention the a game on August 20, 1990 when Lui surpassed Dave Cutler to become #1 on the CFL (or pro football for that matter) scoring list.

So along with that, on Lui's final regular season game on Nov 4, 2000 with the Lions trailing 26-20, Lui stood behind the centre to play QB, took the snap, and scored a TD on a QB sneak to win the game and allow him to score a TD, his first ever, in his 25-year career. That said, is that touchdown extremely memorable and considered one of the greatest? I'd say hardly.
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Here is another excellent example of a more forgotten and underrated Lions greatest touchdowns. We all agree that the 2004 WDF is much more memorable compared to the 2000 WDF and perhaps even the 2006 and 2011 WDF because they were blowout wins. But even though the 2004 is well remembered and memorable, that does not automatically make all the plays involved as extremely memorable with the reason being that there are plays that are always remembered and as such, it overshadows other great plays. As a great example in the 1994 WDF, everybody remembers Darren Flutie's 3rd TD catch, but as stated before that most will not remember his 1st and 2nd TD catches. Likewise in the 2004 WDF, everybody remembers Duncan O'Mahony's rare game-tying field goal, and then his game-winning goal in overtime to allow the Lions to advance to the Grey Cup and that immediately overshadows all the other plays prior to that.

In the 2004 WDF, on the second play from scrimmage 2004 MOP threw a 78-yard touchdown pass to Ryan Thelwell on a broken play at 6:05:

Would you consider that one of the greatest Lions touchdowns in Lions' history?

Somehow, I don't think so as it's overshadowed by otherwise unpopular Duncan O'Mahony's two last heroics.

On a similar note, when you think of Lions greatest receivers, I'd say very few if any will mention Ryan Thelwell. While Lions fans won't criticize or say negative things about him and will commend him when appropriate, to list him as one of the greatest receivers would definitely be an overstatement even though he did make that great play. I think it's because Thelwell was simply overshadowed by other popular receivers at that time like Geroy Simon, Paris Jackson, and Jason Clermont.

--------------------------
Here's the answer to a very interesting trivia question. Aside from O'Mahony's two field goals, the other most memorable play was Casey Printers going down and being replaced by Dave Dickenson. But do you know who was responsible for that?

Early in the fourth quarter with 13:05 minutes remaining with the score tied at 14-14 as shown at 1:37:54, Printers managed to get a desperation pass to Antonio Warren for no gain. The Roughriders defender did make contact with him but let him go when the ball was released, but the momentum led Printers to fall hard on the ground and his right shoulder was injured.

It's been debated to death as to whether 2004 MOP Casey Printers should have played in the 2004 Grey Cup. But those of you who feel that Printers should have played in the 2004 Grey Cup and would have made a difference in the outcome, then you can attribute the 2004 GC loss entirely to Roughriders DT Scott Schultz who was responsible for injuring Printers shoulder and caused a chain reaction which caused the Lions loss in the 2004 GC a week later.
ImageImage
祝你龍年行大運。
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Robbie wrote:
Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:50 pm
#7 - Eric Carter in the 2000 WDF
When it comes to defensive Lions touchdowns, most people will remember Keith Gooch in the 1985 WDF and Charles Gordon in the 1994 GC. But similar to point #1 above about how 2000 season is unpopular, then along with is the 2000 WDF in which the Lions went to Calgary in which the Lions defence rose to the occasion and forced seven turnovers on 2000 MOP Dave Dickenson highlighted by a second quarter 52-yard TD interception return by Eric Carter to give the Lions a huge lead and the Lions never looked back in a solid 37-23 win and as I stated before, my avatar shows the post-win celebration.
You can see the great defensive TD that I' m referring to at 37:40:

Eric Carter also forced a fumble at the start of the second half to give the Lions possession. Aside from the great defence, Damon Allen threw a pair of good TD passes to Jimmy "the Jet" Cunningham and Sean Millington, while Lui Passaglia went 5 for 5 in field goals in his final career playoff game before the GC.

How about a visual trivia question: Who is holding the N. J. "Piffles" Taylor trophy at 2:48:02 ?
祝你龍年行大運。