Favourite BC Lions Helmet

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Robbie
Hall of Famer

I have no intention to hijack or derail David's recent thread about favourite BC lions uniform. Instead, it's to complement it. When one thinks of uniforms, the jersey is the most important part while the pants and helmet are secondary. But of course, if you are very fashion conscious you must also ensure that pants and helmet are a good match for the jersey.

That said, let's just talk about the helmet itself. Which helmet do you think are the best? The first attachment shows the primary helmets throughout the seasons plus a few alternates. While the second attachment shows some recent alternates.

Which are your favourites?

I'll tell you which is the least liked one and that would be the plain 1954-59 helmet with no logo. It's almost identical to the helmet of the Cleveland Browns. The second least liked is the one from 1971. Checking out why the design was the way it was, it was a homage to the Canadian Confederacy Centennial logo with three orange Cs linked with a small white Pacific dogwood flower at the centre. Good intentions to represent British Columbia's centennial, but could easily be misunderstood.
Dr-wv8kWsAEUVkE.jpg
cfl-bc-lions2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
David
Team Captain

1) Black helmet with snarling lion logo (1967-1977)
2) Black helmet with paw logo (1962-1966)
3) Black helmet with current logo (2019)

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

1) Black helmet with current logo (2019)
2) Black helmet with paw logo (1962-66, 2010 throwback alternate)
3 White helmet with either version of modern logo (2005-2010, 2011-2015)
BC 1988
Legend

1-- 1978-1989 White helmet with dark lion. It was in use when I moved to BC, and I think it's fiercer looking than the 1990-onwards logo.

2- 2013-2014 Matte black helmet with orange paw. As part of the 3rd uni, this was the best rendering to work with the overall look. I do like all the other paw versions though. They still don't look dated.

3- 2016-2018 Black helmet with orange lion. Much as I hated the away version of the 2016-18, I thought this worked well with the home uni. It looked great in game action under the lights.

For #3, I also came close to picking the 1976-1977 Black helmet with orange lion and cage, but I think that lion logo has not aged well. Looks too much like 1960's comic artwork. I also never had any historic attachment to it , since it was before I became a Lions fan (but the paw appeals to me despite that). The 2010 update that was used at Tempire does look better--they spruced the lion up a bit for that version with black "BC" lettering.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

F - Though I admit I'm the only one that's going to give that one any love. The home one is beautiful and I'm glad I snagged one of TJ Lee's. (The away one, however, was trash).

The 1972-74 BC logo with silver facemask and the mouth open.

The current helmet is wonderful. Ties together the history of helmets of the franchise quite nicely. It feels old, even though it's new, if that makes sense.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

It's hard to beat that early-to-mid '60s paw, speaking personally, since that's the era when a certain 10-year-old kid first fell hard for his BC Lions.

That said, I'm a huge fan of the current helmet as well. And I do like it just as much as the paw. Cromartie makes purrfect sense to me; "it feels old, though it's new".

Back in the day, I did enjoy our white helmet look while we had it, as I recall it was unique in the league, plus our team had some success and some all-time favourite players wore (and excelled) wearing it (e.g. Geroy and Travis) if memory serves. But aesthetically, the white helmet no longer thrills me so much.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hands down the black helmet with the Lions paw.