2020 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 10:37 pm
Hambone wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:21 pm
I was expecting more to that. Drop back 3 spots in the 2nd to move up 2 spots to #1 overall is a pretty cheap price to pay.
Yea, that's what I thought too. When they said "BC has acquired the first overall pick from Calgary," I thought for sure we'd have to give up a roster player.

Then I'm like, seriously? We only switched places in the second round with a division rival?!? Mind you, Calgary picked a good one in Pinto in Round Two. Nathan Rourke? Okay, but I didn't see quarterbacking as a priority (I'll reserve judgement 'til I see more of him). Maybe he will be used like Streveler, inserted in short-yardage on 3rd down and as a wildcat-like weapon or option play QB on first down.

DH :cool:
IMO, it was a great trade to get the #1 pick without giving up very much at all. Lions get one of the most pro ready guys in the draft AND address their biggest need, LB.
Even though they dropped 3 spots in the 2nd round due to the trade, they still were able to address their biggest long term need at QB. With the new rules Canadian backup QBs are now more of a roster asset and one with 3 year starting NCAA experience is a bonus.
Last edited by DanoT on Fri May 01, 2020 9:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Williams' road to the top pick in the draft sure is an interesting one.
I wonder when the RedBlacks held the FA camp last year that Williams' attended. The fact they could only offer him a practice roster spot at the time suggests it would have been in the middle of the season which seems a little odd.
If it was n the fall, Ottawa was well on its way to securing the #1 pick in the draft to select him yet Desjardins still valued getting Arbuckle more.

Respect to Desjardins though who put the player's career and outlook ahead of just signing another American.
That's hardly news to the Ottawa Redblacks, who offered Williams a spot on the practice roster last year after he attended one of the club's free-agent camps. That is, until learning Williams's mother was Canadian.

"The guys who were there (at free-agent camp) basically saw somebody who immediately jumped out, had good football intelligence and would be a good middle linebacker in our league as an American," said Ottawa GM Marcel Desjardins. "He was here in Ottawa and we were going to add him to the practice roster and he happened to mention his mom was Canadian.

"So we said, 'Look here's your choice. You can either go down this path as an American or if you're pretty sure you're going to be able to obtain your passport as a Canadian, then we'd recommend you go down that path. He's had a year to work out and obviously has been doing a good job of it."

Had Williams accepted Ottawa's practice-roster invitation, he would've been registered with the CFL as an American and his status couldn't have been reversed afterward. Desjardins said Williams ticks off a lot of boxes for CFL general managers.

"He's got the pedigree of an American football player with Canadian status," said Desjardins. "Ben Cahoon (a Hall of Fame receiver with Montreal) was someone like that.

"That's why we told him to do a bit of digging. I think he's done the right thing. Time will tell, obviously. The thing is as an American he probably gets into a camp anyway like he did with us. As a Canadian even if for some strange reason he didn't stick, if he needs multiple chances he's more likely to get them."
Dusty
Champion

I expect that Rick Campbell had a lot to do with BC's desire to get Williams. He would have been involved assessing him at the camps and in offering a PR spot.

Essentially, we switched picks with Calgary as I expected we would have picked the same player in #3 spot that Calgary did.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Williams goes from being an unsigned American free agent in 2019 to the first overall Canadian pick in 2020. I hope he has a successful career for obvious reasons but also because this is a wacky story.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 11:16 am
Williams goes from being an unsigned American free agent in 2019 to the first overall Canadian pick in 2020. I hope he has a successful career for obvious reasons but also because this is a wacky story.
While Williams walked away from a PR salary last season he will get a #1 draft pick salary this season, whenever that happens.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

There seem to be a lot more of what I call "paper Canadians" in the CFL in recent years. Alex Singleton is perhaps the most high profile example of an American player who qualified for national status in the CFL due to parental heritage. Born and raised in Thousand Oaks, California, he acquired a Canadian passport six months before the 2016 CFL draft because his mother was born in Toronto. Previously, players did not count as Canadians or nationals unless they spent part of their childhood in Canada or received their football training in the country.

In addition to Williams this year, the Lions drafted DL Court Hammond of Western Oregon in the third round, 23rd overall. He was born and raised in Corvallis, Oregon, where his father played for Oregon State, but qualified for the draft because his parents have Canadian citizenship.
cms22
Starter

that is interesting how much williams' status improved going from import to canadian. sort of obvious but interesting nonetheless.

did the CFL change the national rules to increase the talent pool? or did someone threaten to challenge the rules in court? i don't think their old definition would hold up in court............. do the new definitional canadians have to apply for formal canadian citizenship? like a passport. i'm not sure if you are canadian at birth with canadian parents or if you have to apply for that status.
cromartie
Hall of Famer

If you don't think Rourke is capable of being a CFL starter at QB you're kidding yourself. Straight out of the Lulay/Dickenson mold.

It'll take a year to reorient to the Canadian game, and a second as a backup, but he's someone's future.
cms22
Starter

I do think Rourke can play QB well in CFL..... there are just going to be so many naysayers....... I remember the whole "how can u have a white tailback?" well, lumsden jr's yards per carry were way beyond anyone in cfl history. and mccaffrey is a complete freak at stanford/Carolina.

what is the deal with Rourke and the nfl? too small, too weak arm, too wild passing..... gotta be at least one of the three. I'd say inaccurate is probably the biggest one.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

cromartie wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:23 pm
If you don't think Rourke is capable of being a CFL starter at QB you're kidding yourself. Straight out of the Lulay/Dickenson mold.

It'll take a year to reorient to the Canadian game, and a second as a backup, but he's someone's future.
I watched a lot of tape of Rourke today and the kid is very good. Great wheels, good decision making, and can throw the ball anywhere he wants. I think BC's biggest challenge is going to be to get Reilly to accept having a backup that the OC can design packages around. He could be for the Lions what Streveler was for the Bombers. Put him in on short yardage situations and keep him in for a series after that. Unlike Strevelar Rourke can pass as well as he runs. I know Reilly wants to take every snap, but leaving Rourke holding a clipboard for 60 minutes week after week would be a waste of talent.

Interesting you mention Lulay, Cromartie... I thought the same thing. His college highlights looked a lot like Lulay's. Coincidentally, they were both Bobcats!
cromartie
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm
cromartie wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:23 pm

I watched a lot of tape of Rourke today and the kid is very good. Great wheels, good decision making, and can throw the ball anywhere he wants. I think BC's biggest challenge is going to be to get Reilly to accept having a backup that the OC can design packages around. He could be for the Lions what Streveler was for the Bombers. Put him in on short yardage situations and keep him in for a series after that. Unlike Strevelar Rourke can pass as well as he runs. I know Reilly wants to take every snap, but leaving Rourke holding a clipboard for 60 minutes week after week would be a waste of talent.

Interesting you mention Lulay, Cromartie... I thought the same thing. His college highlights looked a lot like Lulay's. Coincidentally, they were both Bobcats!
The scouting reports I read on him had a lot of divergent opinions on his NFL prospects. My own opinion is that his ceiling is Lulay where in he can make deep throws but there's a wind up that requires a bit more time. I don't find him to be as athletic as Dickenson and he is not well suited for our newly departed OCs offense, but there is a viable one to be had and a lot of raw talent there.
DanoT
Hall of Famer

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 6:51 pm

Lulay was a Montana State Bobcat out of Bozeman, MT .

Rourke was a University of Ohio Bobcat of of Athens, OH.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

Watched the highlight package, which is always a bit difficult because it's "highlights" and doesn't show game management and all the subtleties that go into determining a rounded qb, but he sure does look like Lulay. Maybe a little stronger armed, faster version. Looks like a great pick by the Lions.
OV - 54:40
Champion

Impressed by how Mr. Ed & co. addressed numerous position groups AND areas of need in this draft.

A blue chip LB prospect who could start soon; a QB who could compete for #2 right away; a decent O-line prospect in Guevremont; a good receiver prospect (Hastings) to join a group that might allow them to start 3 or at least two NIs; a DT with US college ball starting experience - to make up for the loss of Menard & Luke; an athletic LB in Jamieson who should be able to at least contribute on STs right away. And a big, athletic RB who could contribute at either tailback or fullback.

Solid drafting IMO - but we shall see. Probably rate this Lions' draft as CFL best, with the Stumps & Als close behind.