2020 CFL draft

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions pick Williams, who was the consensus No. 1 prospect. He could start at MLB or WILL.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:08 pm
Lions trade with Calgary for the No. 1 overall pick.
I was expecting more to that. Drop back 3 spots in the 2nd to move up 2 spots to #1 overall is a pretty cheap price to pay.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Argos select Dijon Brissett wide receiver
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Hope Williams turn out better than the Lions' previous first round picks.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Adeyemi-Berglund goes No. 3 overall, as I hoped, but to Calgary instead of B.C. (I’m not complaining, though.)
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I’d love to see the Lions grab K/P Marc Liegghio in the second round if he’s available.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Calgary takes versatile UBC receiver Trivel Pinto with the second-round pick they acquired from the Lions.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions reach a bit to pick Ohio QB Nathan Rourke in the second round. He’s athletic enough to line up in several positions, which is allowed under the new ratio rules if the Lions dress him as a national third QB but the Lions didn’t dress a third QB last year, and Mike Reilly doesn’t give way to backups unless he’s injured as he was last year.

The Lions already had 6 QBs under contract. Watch for a few to be dropped before training camp, if there is a training camp.
CrazyCanuck89
Starter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:47 pm
The Lions reach a bit to pick Ohio QB Nathan Rourke in the second round. He’s athletic enough to line up in several positions, which is allowed under the new ratio rules if the Lions dress him as a national third QB but the Lions didn’t dress a third QB last year, and Mike Reilly doesn’t give way to backups unless he’s injured as he was last year.

The Lions already had 6 QBs under contract. Watch for a few to be dropped before training camp, if there is a training camp.
Not really a reach, their were many experts who had him going in the second round. Could very well come out of camp as the #2.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Calgary takes big SFU receiver and Vancouver College alum Rysen John with the first pick of the third round.

The Lions take Western Oregon DL Courtney Hammond with the No. 23 overall pick. I don't know much about him but DL is a position where the Lions needed national depth behind four American starters. According to 3downnation.com, Hammond was born in Corvallis, Oregon but was declared eligible for the draft because his mother is Canadian.

Western Oregon DL Court Hammond added to 2020 CFL draft
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:47 pm

Depends on how they rated him. Everybody seems fairly set with their starters. In Reilly BC has the CFL's oldest starter and he has 3 more years on his deal after this one. He'd be 38 the next time he's a FA. It leaves a fit in BC for Rourke to be groomed to potentially take over at that point.

When I was thinking about who would be most likely to be in the market for a potential starter in the not too distant future Winnipeg is the team that stood out given Collaros' concussion history. Calgary might also have been interested. Winnipeg would be getting their first pick in the draft 3 slots after BC. Calgary also had a pick between BC's pick at 15 and their 3rd rounder. It's hard to guess right now how CFL teams value the presence of a Nat QB on their depth chart.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:20 pm
I’d love to see the Lions grab K/P Marc Liegghio in the second round if he’s available.
Unfortunately the Bombers broke your heart taking him with the pick before BC's 5th rounder.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

One thing I didn't realize was that Rourke has B.C. roots. According to Farhan Lalji, Rourke sent a message tonight saying he was delighted to be chosen by the Lions and that he was born in Victoria and has family all over B.C. He is being interviewed live on cfl.ca. He says he was a Lions' fan growing up.
cms22
Starter

Rourke had alot of rushing yards as QB for Ohio...... not sure how tall he is but i bet he could make a good receiver.

i hadn't heard about that rule where 3rd string canadian QB can play WR.. i love that initiative.
cms22
Starter

did williams play at ECU last year? or is he coming back after year off? i'll have to check

i think teams are way too cautious about NFL interest....... there is a huge difference between claypool/gallimore and all the other signees,.

not sure if it's still like this, but alot of canadians historically have gone to spring camp and been cut. a fair number to august camp and get cut too. maybe hang around. but i think john, dequoy and maybe o'donnell will be in the CFL pretty soon. maybe wait one year for them........ this comment assumes things are normal. frankly, with things the way they are, you can probably take a canadian with more confidence