LaPolice picks best all-time CFL minds (all former Lions)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

In this article, Paul LaPolice picks the best all-time CFL minds on offense and defense.

https://3downnation.com/2020/04/16/redb ... d-defence/

On defense he chooses Wally Buono, runner up to Dave Ritchie. I never really thought of Buono as a great defensive mind.

On offense, he chooses Kent Austin.

Anyone agree with LaPolice's choices? Who would you pick?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Don Mathews for defense.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

KnowItAll wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:27 pm
Don Mathews for defense.
Mathews would be my second choice.

Ralph Sazio, of the then dominate on defense1960s TiCats would be my first choice. He was disguising defenses way ahead of his time. If you were a D player and in practice were 1 foot off your mark of where you should be lining up, a serious bawling out would happen.

The 1967 Tiger Cats, coached by Sazio were one of the greatest CFL defensive teams of all time, finishing the season by allowing zero TDs score against for the final 3 reg season games, 2 playoff games, as well the '67 Grey Cup.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Never thought of Wally as an Xs and Os guy but LaPolice would know a helluva lot better than me.

Dave Ritchie would get my vote just for his work in BC. Turned around an awful defence when he arrived here as HC in 1993 then did terrific work here again as Wally's DC in the mid-2000s.

Will also admire the work Don Matthews did here too. Took a solid BC team over the top to end a near 20-year cup drought with a roster that was essentially put together by Bob Ackles and Vic Rapp.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Definitely not Buono in my opinion. Don Matthews is my choice
maxlion
Legend

I think John Hufnagel has to be in the conversation for best offensive minds. Tutored Flutie, Garcia, had success in NFL, tutored Dickenson as a coach. How many coaches have learned from Huf over the years?
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Wally Buono was the winningest all time coach for a reason - now of which were his ability to do these three things:

1. offensive creativity

2. defensive creativity

3. in game decision making.

He set a tone and culture that worked for his time and the generations of players he had. Players who fit best were those who worked well in a performance oriented culture where it was win and perform or be gone as players all knew he got rid of people before their best before date.

DEF - Don Matthews and Dave Ritchie.

OFF - Hugh Campbell and Kent Austin in his first years in Hamilton (not the end) where he'd use 3 QBs in a game to give DEF's different looks and plays.

I thought that Stef Kruck's 2007 play calling and scheming was brilliant as he had an innovative run scheme package destroyed only by Wally dumping players and Kruck.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Defence: Don Matthews
Offence: during my formative years - Bud Grant / in my adult years - John Hufnagel
Note: But wouldn't Hugh Campbell need to be in the conversation somewhere? Or who was the mastermind that managed to make the polar-opposite QB tandem of Tom Wilkinson and Warren Moon both excel in any one given game during Hughie's hey day (much as I loathed their success back then!)
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

For most of Wally's time in B.C. he was a HC/GM. It is the GM part of the job where he excelled: evaluating and signing players, managing the SMS and the draft. He relied heavily on his assistants for the coaching part but I often thought the personnel assembled was better than what results on the field yielded. Wally was too loyal to his coaching staff but knew when it was time to move on with players, not so much with coaches.

So I rank Wally as one of the great GMs of all time, not one of the greatest coaches.
David
Team Captain

Wally Buono. A brilliant manager. Of people, personnel, administration, and systems. He was undoubtedly a great leader. A brilliant tactician and in-game strategist? No. Nor was he a particularly effective motivator or orator. But he knew how to tap into players' inner fears to get the most out of them and love him or hate him, players almost always respected him*. IMO.

DH :cool:

*okay, except Dante Marsh and Korey Banks. Not sure what happened, but both felt they were short-changed here and I HATE to see that happen to two awesome ex-Leos.
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Bud Grant wasn't a great X's and O's tactician. He was more of the old school General, strong leader but not a screamer type of leader who relied on his trusted long term assistants both in the CFL and NFL IIRC. What Grant excelled at was picking players - mostly from the interior of the US who were used to playing in harsh conditions vs the west coast warm weather players.

Hufnagel might have been excluded by Lapo as he's kind of still in the CFL now.

Bud Grant on Lombardi here and why he didn't like the "tyrant".

https://www.si.com/nfl/2016/02/01/nfl-m ... i-disklike

Marv Levy too has to be considered but I don't think he was master X and 0 coach but another Bud Grant leader type who delegated to good people and got all on the same page and not by fear.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/foot ... levy-says/

https://www.buffalorising.com/2012/06/m ... alo-bills/
If Michaelangelo played it safe, he would have painted the floor and not the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

In a game I had to make over 200 decisions, so we have to find a way to win, and you can’t play it safe. It was all about merit, to do worthwhile work, to always benefit those that are trying to help you. And there was always a tremendous work ethic with the Buffalo Bills. Don’t be dumb, don’t be petty. Have fun in what you do. I worked 17 hours a day, but I never worked a day in my life.

Pablo Picasso once said that it is your work in life that is the ultimate seduction.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Never mind Pablo P. -- look at this work of abstract chalkboard beauty and don't try to tell me Bud "Picasso" Grant didn't get creative with his X's & O's! Heh heh. And no doubt it translated to pure poetry in motion on the field of play. (Kidding.) Cheers!
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:57 am
Never mind Pablo P. -- look at this work of abstract chalkboard beauty and don't try to tell me Bud "Picasso" Grant didn't get creative with his X's & O's! Heh heh. And no doubt it translated to pure poetry in motion on the field of play. (Kidding.) Cheers!
Hmm... I'll give that attachment one more try, and if it won't attach you'll just have to take my word for it! (Seems the drag and drop method isn't working for me, so far as I can tell. sorry.)