Doug Flutie with bclions.com!

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Matt Baker
Rookie

Hey friends,

Hope everyone and their families are coping well during these tough times. As some of you may have seen, we have extended our "1st and Now" podcast to a couple of other platforms. One of those being Zoom video chats.

I was thrilled to be able to connect with Doug Flutie this past week. Full interview link below. Along with talking about some of his more memorable games, he had some good views on Tom Brady leaving New England, how he is occupying himself during self-isolation and an update on his new video game. Enjoy!

https://www.bclions.com/2020/04/03/%f0% ... %9f%90%90/
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Great interview and it's great that you could see his personal trophy collection with Heisman Trophy and two of his six CFL MOP trophies in the background. There's also a trophy in the form of a horse which I believe he won as a Stampeder. Towards the end of the video, he shows off his helmet and jerseys including those as a Lion, and there's a quick clip of his other trophies.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Flutie mentioned a regret that he didn't get to play for one team for all that long. What I remember is that it didn't what team or what league, if Doug Flutie was playing, then that was the most exciting, enjoyable, amazing Game of the Week.
David
Team Captain

Great interview Matt!

It's such a shame that we couldn't have kept him. Who knows how things would have been for the Lions or how many championships we would have won (in an ideal world) with both Fluties here for 7-8 years?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Robbie
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:49 pm
It's such a shame that we couldn't have kept him. Who knows how things would have been for the Lions or how many championships we would have won (in an ideal world) with both Fluties here for 7-8 years?
Perhaps at the very most......ONE only and that would be the 1994 CFL season in which the Lions had two defensive all-stars with Charles Gordon and Less Browne. From 1990-97, with the exception of 1994 the Lions never had more than just one defensive all-star. And having a great offence means absolutely nothing if the team has a terrible and pathetic defence which was exactly what the Lions had from 1990-97 with the exception of 1994.

Had Doug Flutie stayed with the Lions all the way to 1997, I'd say all seasons with the exception of 1994 would simply be a repeat of the 1991 season in that the Lions offence would generate a lot of hard-earned points, only to be in total futile and have it ruined when the Lions vulnerable defence would allow the opponent to score even more points. A great representative of what would have happened in most other games would be that of Doug Flutie's final game as a Lion in the 1991 WDSF. Having a team with a strong offence that produces 41 points is usually more than enough to win games, but not if the pitiful and pathetic defence allows the opponent to score 43 points including 28 points in the third quarter to blow a huge lead. :bang: :puke:
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Great interview. Nice to see his trophy room and the collection of helmets, trophies and shirts.

One of the times he was here for Grey Cup in Canada he said that when he comes to Canada anywhere he feels at home but at NFL events he felt like an outsider. The other guy like him who is effusive in his praise of the CFL is Joe Theismann. These US players love the more exciting CFL game. Leon Bright had a locker next to me at SFU where he was a guest coach. He said the same thing but the money was so much better in the NFL he had to take it.

Some Lions players were angry with Doug for moving for the money but the offer was too good to be true and IIRC the owner got into trouble financially and not sure he got it all paid out.

The 1994 WDF from the blocked FG by Ray Alexander to the winning TD and the broadcast where former Esk great LB Dan Kepley is asked to call the play on that final play of the game is on the most memorable Lion game ever for me.

When Kepley says everyone knows Darren Flutie will be the target and worst case a call for Danny Mac on the QB draw - to which I reply even now - NOOOOOO to the draw as Danny Mac is tooooooo freaking sloooooow.... hahah

That series lasted a life time and had more drama in it including Lion HC Dave Ritchie having to scream at his assistant as he risked taking a penalty. I think the assistant (Jody) was questioning prematurely what the call would be as it was the very astute Doug Flutie who pushed the ball forward and out of bounds - but it was still BC 1st and 10.

Wally looked lost on the sidelines as clearly Ritchie putting out Ray Alexander in the snow/ice for the ice was a brilliant move countered by Doug Flutie for the Stamps trying to get the ball forward and out of bounds for a Calgary 1st down.

Danny Mac leading that drive with players frozen hands except for Darren was awesome.
Last edited by Toppy Vann on Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Robbie
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:07 am
When Kepley says everyone knows Darren Flutie will be the target and worst case a call for Danny Mac on the QB draw - to which I reply even know - NOOOOOO to the draw as Danny Mac is tooooooo freaking sloooooow.... hahah

Danny Mac leading that drive with players frozen hands except for Darren was awesome.
Withing digressing too much, I've asked this before and I'll ask this again. When Doug Flutie said he wouldn't re-sign for the Lions and instead signed for the Stampeders in the spring of 1992, all Lions fans felt very sad and disappointed.

But in the spring of 1996, the Lions gave both the great tandem Danny McManus and Darren Flutie free agency. Both of them were scooped up by the Eskimos and they helped the team to a Grey Cup appearance, and then both moved on the the Tiger-Cats and they won a Grey Cup win and both of them are in the hall of fame. Therefore, I really wonder why I didn't sense much sadness and disappointment that these two players were lost through free agency among Lions fans in the spring of 1996. Perhaps it's because the team was already going through a lot of changes with owner Bill Comrie selling the team to Nelson Skalbania and as such, that already overshadowed other changes for the team during that off-season.
祝你龍年行大運。
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Robbie: I think it was crazy times then that Danny Mac and Darren Flutie slipped away.

Doug Flutie went purely out of town for the cash.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy