Training camp update from City of Kamloops

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I love attending camp in Kamloops and was hoping to take in every session this year after recently moving to the city. The facilities are by far the best of any I've seen over the past 50-plus years, including UBC, Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack. No matter what happens this year, I hope the club and the city extend their working relationship for many years to come.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:54 pm
I love attending camp in Kamloops and was hoping to take in every session this year after recently moving to the city. The facilities are by far the best of any I've seen over the past 50-plus years, including UBC, Langley, Abbotsford and Chilliwack. No matter what happens this year, I hope the club and the city extend their working relationship for many years to come.
My ski chalet is a 5th wheel trailer, set up at a friend's place overlooking Heffley Lake. I used to go to Lions TC and have even run in to Hambone and Pauser as well, but these days at TC there is not much contact and a lot of walk thru type stuff.

Another reason that I no longer go to TC in Kamloops: A round trip from Victoria is about $250 for gas and ferry.
David
Team Captain

Matt Sekeres of TSN1040 was saying yesterday that everybody, to a man, loves the facilities in Kamloops. From the fields to the accommodation, from the dining areas to the meeting rooms. Wally, Benny, Ed, DeVone, players, administrators, sponsors.

Everyone except Jeff Tedford.

Seems he was used to the high-end American football training camp facilities. :roll: Not sure what happened with him; the organization has been tight-lipped. But he just never seemed like a good fit.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:02 pm
Matt Sekeres of TSN1040 was saying yesterday that everybody, to a man, loves the facilities in Kamloops. From the fields to the accommodation, from the dining areas to the meeting rooms. Wally, Benny, Ed, DeVone, players, administrators, sponsors.

Everyone except Jeff Tedford.

Seems he was used to the high-end American football training camp facilities. :roll: Not sure what happened with him; the organization has been tight-lipped. But he just never seemed like a good fit.

Tedford was used to high-end American college training facilities. His biggest problem was that he treated CFL players too much like college players, including restricting their diets. I watched a young starting lineman walk into the dorm building on the first night of camp In 2015 carrying a bucket of KFC after Tedford had preached about the importance of a healthy diet. Not long afterwards, the lineman was gone.

To Tedford’s credit, he introduced the electronic segment clock that is still used to time practices and he convinced David Braley to buy tablet computers
for all players, something that has since become standard across the league.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:28 pm
To Tedford’s credit, he introduced the electronic segment clock that is still used to time practices and he convinced David Braley to buy tablet computers
for all players, something that has since become standard across the league.
He also introduced (reintroduced?) the tight-end formation. That didn't go far. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:51 pm

He also introduced (reintroduced?) the tight-end formation. That didn't go far. :wink:

Kinda wonder if it would have continued if not for Tristan Jackson ending Cam Morrah's career with one of his patented shoulder to knee tackles and next man up AC Leonard frequently displaying frying pan hands.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have officially abandoned plans to hold training camp in Kamloops this year. If there is a season, camp would be held in the Lower Mainland, likely at their Surrey training facility. The team's three-year contract with the City of Kamloops, which was to have ended this year, will be extended to 2021.

BC Lions training camp will not be held in Kamloops this season because of COVID-19