COVID-19 : How it could impact Lions/CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

BC 1988
Legend

KnowItAll wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:23 pm
right now I would be surprised if the NFL had a full season, let alone the CFL.
Agreed--hearing all the news items about NFL player moves (pretty much all there is in sports news these days) makes me think they are overly optimistic. (Unless you agree with Trump's delusional "get everything back to normal by Easter" )

The NFL could play in empty stadiums though (unfeasible for the more gate-driven CFL).
David
Team Captain

I created this thread as a CFL/Lions related thread for the COVID-19 crisis. But I want to suspend this for one posting to help any of you sort through fears and anxieties related to this virus as I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor and Psychotherapist. Here are some tips to get through this.

1) It is very easy to become obsessed with this story. We're living it in real-time. But I strongly urge you to select 2 trusted and reliable news sources and check in once, at say 7:00am or 8:00am, and again at say, 5:00pm. Limit social media. Otherwise, this can really become all-consuming in the age of 24-hour news channels and innumerable options, and we can start to catastrophize.

2) If you do start to catastrophize, play the "what if" game out fully. For example, "what if" I lose my job? Answer that question. What if you do lose your job (which you don't know for certain you will)? "Well, what if lose my job, I won't be able to make rent." What will happen then? "I will get kicked out of my apartment" How likely is this as many BC landlords are giving a reprieve on evictions and the federal government has freed up $52 billion in funds to help Canadians? But even if you do, what happens then? "I'll be forced to live on the street." Do you think absolutely no friend or relative would take you in for while, while you find a new job?

When this talking through exercise has been taken to its "worst" imagined outcome, we usually find that people have the strength and resources to survive their worst fears.

3) Listen to medical professionals and scientists regarding this virus, not politicians and friends.

4) Try to maintain as much order and routine as possible. Our lives have been disrupted and this can change our mood and leave us very unsettled. However, if self-isolating, it may be a good opportunity to learn a new hobby or take an online course.

5) Give to others. Living "outside" yourself and your world can be tremendously therapeutic. Helping other people, volunteering, making that phone call to someone. Just meaningfully connecting with others is a huge mood enhancer and really inhibits anxiety.

Please DM me if you have any questions. Stay safe!

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

Farhan explains what contingency plans are being worked on right now by the CFL (such as a "credible" 8 game season starting on Labour Day).
https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-weighing-options ... -1.1460628
Murdoch
All Star

Thank you David for taking the time and posting regarding the impact of the fallout. I may need a room soon buddy. We could talk football.

The entire deal brings to mind the nature of pro sports as a somewhat superficial priority in the big picture. I could see the whole thing being over and the world just moving on. Hopefully at that point important things become important once again. Nobody will have to worry about what Antonio Brown is up to.

Share your thoughts on the importance of being charitable and considerate.
David
Team Captain

The latest from Rick LeLacheur on what's happening with the football club. To no one's surprise, very little. But it's an update nonetheless.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
jwbavalon
Rookie

I like the positive attitude of the Grey Cup in Vancouver. I'll make sure I save a mask and set of gloves. I wonder if Costco will be open for the pregame hotdog?

Remember to wash your hands.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

David - thanks for the friendly and helpful tips.

Very definitely it will get you down if you listen to broadcasts of the pandemic day and night!

The one thing that might not fit for us in Canada is not to listen to politicians. Elected leaders - our PM and the Premiers of Canada of all political persuasions are pretty much in unison with the health experts and professionals on what needs to be done as well our roles as individuals and collectively as to how to flatten the curve of the spread.

It's been quite interesting to hear right wing Premiers like Doug Ford not attacking the federal gov't during these times but like other premiers delivering clear, concise and consistent messaging.

Flattening the curve is clearly in the hands of the public and our leaders are modelling the way.

Now if our friends in the USA would take heed they might be spared but too many down there aren't.

This site was mentioned today by Dr. Birk (one the US President's health advisors):

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections

It' ain't pretty if they don't get their act together.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
johnchow604
Rookie

On a positive note, Mike Reilly's wrist has more time to recover.

https://www.tsn.ca/bc-lions-qb-mike-rei ... -1.1461542
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The CFL has indefinitely postponed the start of training camp. Rookie camp had been scheduled to run from May 13-15 in Kamloops and full camp was scheduled to open Sunday, May 17. There has been no decision made to delay preseason or regular season games.

CFL POSTPONES START OF TRAINING CAMP
David
Team Captain

Toppy Vann wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:50 pm
The one thing that might not fit for us in Canada is not to listen to politicians. Elected leaders - our PM and the Premiers of Canada of all political persuasions are pretty much in unison with the health experts and professionals on what needs to be done as well our roles as individuals and collectively as to how to flatten the curve of the spread.
That's a fair point. Canadian politicians seem to be in lock-step with the Provincial Health Officers. Dix has actually impressed me with his leadership skills in his handling of this crisis. :thup:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:36 am
The CFL has indefinitely postponed the start of training camp. Rookie camp had been scheduled to run from May 13-15 in Kamloops and full camp was scheduled to open Sunday, May 17. There has been no decision made to delay preseason or regular season games.

CFL POSTPONES START OF TRAINING CAMP
It seems pretty reasonable to assume that a delayed training camp will mean a delayed season. They won't start playing games if there hasn't been a training camp of some sort. I guess they just want to make the decision a little closer to the time to see whether or not they can do a 'time shift, shortened or cancellation outright'.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Pre season games might get eliminated.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I could live with an 8 game season no bye season
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
johnchow604
Rookie

If it comes down to no preseason and shorted season, rebuilding teams would have little time to gel and teams with little changes from last season would be more likely to win the Grey Cup.
David
Team Captain

Unfortunately, while Canada is by no means out of the woods, we seem to be further along controlling the pandemic than the USA, where half of our roster and most of our coaches currently reside. So we're kind of at their mercy. Every day we're learning about new hot spots (Detroit, New Orleans etc.) in addition to the epicentre of NYC. Recovery will only be as strong as the weakest link and they're still just scrambling to get proper medical supplies to the states that need them the most.

I hope I am wrong, but it's hard to envision free-flowing borders in the next four months, minimum. I am sure the government and health authorities will be deathly afraid of a second wave of COVID-19 (likely to be more benign but still a problem until a vaccine is widely available).

Roar, You Lions, Roar