BC Lions Free Agents Signings & Signings around the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

B.C.FAN
Team Captain

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are but John Hodge of 3downnation.com has ranked the most and least cap-friendly contracts signed this offseason. Ed Hervey's B.C. signings were represented on both lists.

Best
WR Dominique Rhymes $80,000 for 1 year

Worst
DE Chris Casher $145,000 for 1 year including a $50,000 signing bonus
LB Kevin Francis $100,000 for 1 year including a $23,000 signing bonus plus $1,000 for each game in which he takes more than 51% of defensive snaps

The six most cap-friendly deals from CFL free agency

The five least cap-friendly deals from free agency
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:42 am
Shawn Lemon says he hasn’t received any offers and is surprised to still be a free agent.

Veteran defensive lineman Lemon surprised to still be a free agent
Makes one wonder if last year's failure of Hervey to sign him was all Ed's fault (as some seem to insist) or if Lemon's ask wasn't a much bigger factor.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
David
Team Captain

I wonder what the analytics say about Shawn Lemon? Yes, he has great technique with high sacks per games played ratio. But there is more to the position than sacks. Contain (remember how much Alex Bazzie used to struggle with this?), pressure, tackles, forced fumbles, knockdowns, amount of double-teaming/chip blocks (remember last year when it took two of our guys to block Willie Jefferson?).

I am not saying he is good or bad at these things. I'd have to do a deep dive into it. But there must be a reason teams other than Toronto or B.C. seem to shy away from him. Is it salary? Age? Or some of these other factors? Or a combination of all?

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:55 pm
I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are but John Hodge of 3downnation.com has ranked the most and least cap-friendly contracts signed this offseason. Ed Hervey's B.C. signings were represented on both lists.

Best
WR Dominique Rhymes $80,000 for 1 year

Worst
DE Chris Casher $145,000 for 1 year including a $50,000 signing bonus
LB Kevin Francis $100,000 for 1 year including a $23,000 signing bonus plus $1,000 for each game in which he takes more than 51% of defensive snaps

The six most cap-friendly deals from CFL free agency

The five least cap-friendly deals from free agency
Obviously Campbell was a big factor in the Francis signing but why for that price? So two national back-up linebackers (Konar) at $100,000-plus?
Still don't mind Casher's signing. The fact he wasn't expected to start for the Stamps next year speaks more of their recruiting ability and our lack of it.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:17 pm
Obviously Campbell was a big factor in the Francis signing but why for that price? So two national back-up linebackers (Konar) at $100,000-plus?
Still don't mind Casher's signing. The fact he wasn't expected to start for the Stamps next year speaks more of their recruiting ability and our lack of it.
Any reason why Casher wasn't expected to start in Calgary this year? He dressed for 16 of the 18 regular season games plus the playoff game and started all but his first game played when he was promoted from season opener PR to a backup role against BC. The only games he missed were the season opener (PR) and the LDC rematch vs Edmonton (1G IR).
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:49 pm
Any reason why Casher wasn't expected to start in Calgary this year? He dressed for 16 of the 18 regular season games plus the playoff game and started all but his first game played when he was promoted from season opener PR to a backup role against BC. The only games he missed were the season opener (PR) and the LDC rematch vs Edmonton (1G IR).
Casher stepped in when DE Folarin Orimolade suffered a season-ending injury to his quadriceps during the preseason. The Stamps re-signed Orimolade in December and left Casher unsigned. Orimolade is expected back for training camp to reclaim his starting spot. Veteran Cordarro Law returns at the other DE spot.
His focus remains on one thing: to return to the field in 2020.

“That’s the biggest one,” admitted Orimolade. “Getting back on the field and getting back into the swing of things. I do have some goals – I already wrote them down and they’re the same goals as last year, they just got pushed back a year.

“I plan on being a double-digit sack guy, I want to make everyone on my team better, get the ball back for my offence, and force turnovers. I still want to be effective on special teams and ultimately win a championship. Really, my plan is to elevate the defensive line and push us over the top so there’s no debate about who the best d-line is in the CFL.
GOING WITH THE FLO
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Thanks BCF.
Islander
prospect

So how do the staff from wither 3 Down Nation, TSN or CFL.ca come up with these numbers? Do they just ask the GM's once the deals are announced? Compared to almost every other pro sports league in North America, the CFL salaries are such a black box. Perhaps that's due to the disparity between QB's and the minimum salaries?

I think it would be nice if we could see exactly what the player and overall team salaries were. That might even help with fan engagement.

Just my two cents.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Islander wrote:
Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:31 am
So how do the staff from wither 3 Down Nation, TSN or CFL.ca come up with these numbers? Do they just ask the GM's once the deals are announced? Compared to almost every other pro sports league in North America, the CFL salaries are such a black box. Perhaps that's due to the disparity between QB's and the minimum salaries?

I think it would be nice if we could see exactly what the player and overall team salaries were. That might even help with fan engagement.

Just my two cents.
3 Down Nation and others just cite figures quoted by other media sources. Some may come from team sources or player agents but they're not official. Loonie Cap has compiled a list of all CFL salaries based on various sources, including 3 Down Nation. Treat them as rough guesses at best.

For example, Mike Reilly's B.C. contract was widely cited as being worth $2.9 million over four years but we don't know how it is structured so most sources just estimate it at $725,000 a year. I would guess that it probably escalates by about $50,000 a year from $650,000 in 2019 to $800,000 in 2022 so that it can be cushioned by annual increases in the salary cap but it also could contain a signing bonus, offseason roster bonuses and performance bonuses. Bo Levi Mitchell's four-year, $2.8-million contract in Calgary, which has since been renegotiated downward, reportedly called for annual salaries of $675,000, $695,000, $705,000 and $725,000. We still haven't heard whether Ed Hervey succeeded in getting Reilly and Sukh Chungh to renegotiate their contracts this year.
Islander
prospect

Thanks for that B.C. Fan.

I would so love someone to create a page similar to CapGeek for the NHL, but for CFL football. I'd wager there are enough die-hards out there to make it happen, but one can dream.