BC Lions Free Agents Signings & Signings around the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

OV - 54:40
Champion

Ladler is a real solid D player and a great signing and hopefully he can regain his CFL best form.

Ladler at SAM, Konar at Will & Herdman at MLB - might be a very solid LB crew.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:39 pm
Valid point but in Toomer's case he has yet to see the field after three weeks of a 10-week schedule. He might get through the XFL season without putting much mileage on his 31-year-old body.
Okay, good to know. Thanks for clarifying. That is both good and bad then.

Good = less mileage on his body
Bad = not a starter on an XFL roster? OR Injured. Not great in either scenario.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:51 pm
B.C.FAN wrote:
Valid point but in Toomer's case he has yet to see the field after three weeks of a 10-week schedule. He might get through the XFL season without putting much mileage on his 31-year-old body.
Okay, good to know. Thanks for clarifying. That is both good and bad then.

Good = less mileage on his body
Bad = not a starter on an XFL roster? OR Injured. Not great in either scenario.

best case scenario, he spilled coffee on the wrong person
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

David wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:57 pm
It might be fine for someone like Sergio Castillo to play in both leagues (and I suspect he will be coming back to BC after the XFL season concludes). But I have a hard time believing a physically demanding position such as middle linebacker for 31-year old Korey Toomer could be sustainable. This would mean playing a 10-game XFL season (I'm not even counting pre and post season here!) then come up north and play another, let's say 19 games.

I am willing to bet that injuries and the physical demands of this collision sport would render him ineffective after about Week 14 up here. Sure, the space between seasons and the 3 CFL bye weeks come in handy, but just think of the wear and tear this much football would have on the body.

The reduction in hitting at practices these days could be a factor in helping a player play in two leagues.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

B.C.FAN wrote:
David wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:57 pm
It might be fine for someone like Sergio Castillo to play in both leagues (and I suspect he will be coming back to BC after the XFL season concludes). But I have a hard time believing a physically demanding position such as middle linebacker for 31-year old Korey Toomer could be sustainable. This would mean playing a 10-game XFL season (I'm not even counting pre and post season here!) then come up north and play another, let's say 19 games.

I am willing to bet that injuries and the physical demands of this collision sport would render him ineffective after about Week 14 up here. Sure, the space between seasons and the 3 CFL bye weeks come in handy, but just think of the wear and tear this much football would have on the body.

Toomer hasn't exactly been rode hard and put away wet recently. In the 2 seasons since playing 28 games and starting 16 for the Chargers over 2016 & 2017 he's played 18 games; 7 for the Packers in 2018 and 11 last year for BC. In the 7 games he played in GB he recorded only 3 tackles, all in the 2nd game he played for the Pack which was the 2nd week of the 2018 season. He recorded no stats in his other 6 appearances with GB which indicates playing time was likely restricted to some special teams coverage. His time in BC last year was easily the most intense playing time he's enjoyed in 2 and now going on 3 years. Unless he starts getting significant playing time soon in the XFL his XFL time will do little to his recent wear and tear but might let him come to camp more "football ready" than others.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:38 pm
JohnnyMusso wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:40 pm
I like this signing and agree it is an upgrade, but this question was asked on 3 Down Nation:

How can Lions afford him?

Many think Lions are over the cap and I agree. This is a good signing, but I think before training camp, 1 or 2 vets will be cut for Lions must be close to cap if not over. Something has to give and find it hard to believe they are under with the money they spend during free agency.
As usual many fans obsess with who is getting added and all but disregard the contracts that are off the books. I think one really has to look at both sides of that coin and also look at things not in terms of individual players but rather in terms of position groups.

By my count 9 starters from the last half of 2019 are off the books. Menard & Luke with a combined 12 starts effectively make that a 10th starter. Coming in I'd say that only Rhymes and Mathews are newcomers assured of starting spots on offense while the 4 DL; Johnson, Casher, Tavai and Brown plus Ladler are newcomers to start on D. And of course Rainey on special teams. The rest of the guys signed are more likely looked at for depth.

QB:
Out: backup O'Brien
In: backup Arndt
Effect: Maybe a wash but likely small savings going from a 6th year veteran to a QB who hadn't stepped onto the field prior to 2019.

OL:
Out: Starting RG David Foucault and starting RT Justin Renfrow
In: Ryker Mathews
Effect: Should be some savings given Foucault was a NAT who started with a pretty good deal coming out of the NFL.

WR:
Out: Duron Carter and depth NAT Rashaun Simonise
In: Dominique Rhymes, Caleb Holley and depth NAT Devon Bailey
Effect: Carter was no doubt paid a lot more than Rhymes' rumoured $95K, perhaps close to double. Holley should be less than Rhymes if he even sticks. Regardless he's being brought in for depth not to be part of the main core. Simonise and Bailey are washes. Decent savings here but reduced by new deal for Durant..

DL:
Out: Odell Willis, Shawn Lemon and 2 NATs Junior Luke, David Menard who combined for 12 starts
In: Micah Johnson, Chris Casher, JR Tavai, Ryan Brown
Effect: No doubt Johnson is the big bread earner here. Willis and Lemon would have been paid handsomely as well. Casher, Tavai and Brown are young vets just starting to establish themselves. Johnson's deal will make for increased overall cost for the position group. How much though is a good question. Willis + Lemon out might = Johnson + Casher in.

LB:
Out: Maleki Harris, Chris Edwards (NFL)
In: Likely Kenny Ladler into Edwards spot.
Effect: Harris and Edwards were both FA signings a year ago

SECONDARY:
Out: Branden Dozier, Crezdon Butler and NAT sometimes starter Anthony Thompson and depth DB Josh Woodman.
In: Possibly Ladler if he doesn't take Edwards spot at OLB. Otherwise only have added a couple of NAT depth players.

Special Teams:
Out: KR Ryan Lankford, PK Sergio Castillo and P Josh Bartel
In: KR Chris Rainey and so far 2 rookies PK Greg Hutchins from UBC and P Stefan Flintoft out of UCLA
Effect: Likely a wash. More for Rainey but offset by 2 rookie kickers replacing 2 veterans.
This is some fantastic work here Hambone. How I wish the Lions would run a "live" off-season depth chart when they are adding or deleting players. Doesn't even have to be in order of ability but that would be even better.
So safety, corner and LB look to be the biggest question marks right now. From what I can tell the plan is to start three imports on the o-line with Norman back at centre unless Godber shows very well in camp.

Watching the NFL Combine coverage has been insane. The simulated 40-yard runs with draft prospects and current NFL stars during their combine appearances is nuts.
An CFL Network with that kind of in depth analysis on everything is something I can only dream about.
Fred.Fonce
Rookie

Is QB Grant Kraemer coming back? He showed promise in pre-season. I see he's listed on the current roster, but I'm never sure how accurate it is.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Fred.Fonce wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:19 am
Is QB Grant Kraemer coming back? He showed promise in pre-season. I see he's listed on the current roster, but I'm never sure how accurate it is.
Yes, as a rookie Kraemer was required to sign a two-year contract, and the Lions have not released him. They have six QBs under contract. They'll probably release one before main training camp opens.
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:36 am
Yes, as a rookie Kraemer was required to sign a two-year contract, and the Lions have not released him. They have six QBs under contract. They'll probably release one before main training camp opens.
Interestingly, the Leos re-signed QB Ricky Lloyd who is similar to Kraemer in that his inaugural preseason debut was impressive (Lloyd in 2018 throwing 3 TD passes in 2 games, Kraemer in 2019 coming in late against the Stamps and marching the team downfield for the game-winning TD).

However, Lloyd didn't seem to progress (he went 3 for 6 in the Edmonton preseason game last year with one INT) and was released. There were rumblings about his work ethic, so it will be interesting to see if he has matured.

Likewise with Kraemer, he injured his knee in the club's second last game (vs Riders) on his only completion, so it will be interesting to see if he has fully recovered when camp starts.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Murdoch
All Star

Pretty quiet around the league with lots of good talent left available. Prices likely coming down for guys like DWalk. Would be a shame if he doesn't play.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Brandon Bridge seems to have moved on from football and joined the Peel Regional Police in Ontario.

Rookie again: Brandon Bridge trading in helmet for police badge
David
Team Captain

3 Down Nation posted a list of the top paid Free Agents in 2020. This is how our signings stack up:

4) Micah Johnson - will make $190,000. He received $100,000 of this total as a signing bonus and has a deal that if he plays over 51% of our defensive snaps in 15 or more games, he receives another $5,000.

6) Ryker Matthews - $170,000.

7) Chris Casher - $145,000 total that included a $50,000 signing bonus.

Just outside the Top 10:

J.R. Tavai - $125,000.

These numbers a bit higher than I would have expected, despite no one over $200K in salary and signing bonus like the Redblacks are paying CleyonLaing ($215,000) and Stampeders paid Sean McKewen ($205,000).

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

David wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 am
3 Down Nation posted a list of the top paid Free Agents in 2020. This is how our signings stack up:

4) Micah Johnson - will make $190,000. He received $100,000 of this total as a signing bonus and has a deal that if he plays over 51% of our defensive snaps in 15 or more games, he receives another $5,000.

6) Ryker Matthews - $170,000.

7) Chris Casher - $145,000 total that included a $50,000 signing bonus.

Just outside the Top 10:

J.R. Tavai - $125,000.

These numbers a bit higher than I would have expected, despite no one over $200K in salary and signing bonus like the Redblacks are paying CleyonLaing ($215,000) and Stampeders paid Sean McKewen ($205,000).

I think those, if accurate, support my contention that the cries from other fanbases that Hervey can't afford to be signing all these FAs are likely unfounded.

Johnson + Casher = $340K. What were the combined salaries of the departed Willis and Lemon? I'd wager not much under $340K which is an average of $170K.

Mathews = $170K. What was Foucault making as a NAT starter and NFL vet? Seems to me at some point a number similar to $170K was being bandied about. (Incorrect on my part see edit note below)

Tavai at $125K? Last year Junior Luke was on the 3rd year of his original contract. I doubt he was making $125K but as a 1st round draft pick his 3rd year salary was likely in $90K range.

HAMBONE EDIT: I found an older 3DN article that indicated Foucault was getting $118K last year + $18K playtime bonuses. No doubt he achieved the bonuses given he started every game.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Murdoch
All Star

Still say there is something up with the big bonus deal and really don't see it from the team perspective where anything could happen and the team be out of pocket.

Would hate for Micah to take the money and run ala Mo Price or Darian Durant but it could happen. Why would the team put themselves in that position?

It is what it is. More the rule than the exception.

For the record I think BC will get excellent value from Micah Johnson. Double teamed more than other player in 2019.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Shawn Lemon says he hasn’t received any offers and is surprised to still be a free agent.

Veteran defensive lineman Lemon surprised to still be a free agent