XFL 2020 season (topic updated)

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Murdoch
All Star

Thought I saw a Nik Lewis comment that SJ signed for six figures.

At under $50,000 I could see a lot of players interested in a double dip to come to the CFL. This is one that should work out better for the fans.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Here's some XFL rules innovations that Josh Smith (at 3DownN) encourages the CFL to adopt: https://3downnation.com/2020/03/01/four ... ould-adopt. Their kick-off procedure seems pretty reasonable to me. Less risk for injuries. And having a mic and camera in the video review booth seems reasonable as well.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:47 pm
Here's some XFL rules innovations that Josh Smith (at 3DownN) encourages the CFL to adopt: https://3downnation.com/2020/03/01/four ... ould-adopt. Their kick-off procedure seems pretty reasonable to me. Less risk for injuries. And having a mic and camera in the video review booth seems reasonable as well.
I like the live mics on officials and coaches (Who’s going to break it to Jason Maas?) but I’m not sold on 3-point converts or XFL-style kickoffs. CFL kicking rules are much superior to any American rules. Give me the prospect of surprise onside kicks, missed field goal returns, kickbacks and dribbled balls. I don’t want to see fair catches, downed punts or touchbacks.

I most enjoy watching and listening to former CFL coaches on the XFL sidelines. June Jones’ Houston Roughnecks are undefeated and leading the league in touchdowns, Marc Trestman’s Tampa Bay Vipers look powerful since he handed play-calling duties to former Ottawa OC Jaime Elizondo, and Jerry Glanville’s Tampa Bay defence pitched a shutout today to complete a dominant all-round performance against a good DC team.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

Really enjoy watching and cheering for the Battlehawks as my number 1 team followed by Roughnecks, Vipers, and Wildcats.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:24 pm
Thought I saw a Nik Lewis comment that SJ signed for six figures.

At under $50,000 I could see a lot of players interested in a double dip to come to the CFL. This is one that should work out better for the fans.
Football is somewhat unique to other pro sports in that beyond the NFL, CFL and now XFL there are limited to no opportunities for athletes to continue playing professionally once they leave the amateur ranks.

In hockey guys can make a decent living by continuing to play in the AHL, KHL or various other European leagues. There are literally hundreds of former NHL players or prospects who go on to have long careers playing overseas in leagues where typically they get tax free deals and are supplied housing and often a car.

Basketball has a number of European leagues along with other countries in the world.

Ditto with baseball as guys can continue to toil in the minors or head over to Japan, China, Mexico and other countries with professional circuits. When in Mazatlán this winter I noticed a few guys on the teams there who were obviously US ex-pats. When I Googled them I found that they were once MLB prospects but after failing to make the big leagues they bounced around the world. Venado CF Chris Roberson was a Phillies prospect 15 years ago. He had cups of coffee for a couple other MLB teams and has been playing in Mexico for the past decade. Pitcher Mitch Lively was once an MLB prospect spending time in the minor league organizations of the Rockies, Giants and Nationals. He spent 2015 in Japan and since then has been in Mexico and China. Perhaps like players who might double-dip in CFL and XFL for the past 2 years Lively has been playing in the Chinese Pro Baseball League in the summer and the Mexican League in the winter.

While baseball, basketball and hockey players can continue to make a living playing the game they love on into their late 30s for football players once the phone stops ringing from the NFL, CFL and now XFL it's pretty much end of the road. Arena football used to offer opportunities but it seems like it's gone the way of the dodo bird with most if not all North American leagues having folded. As such for far too many kids who grew up loving the game of football their dreams end the minute they get handed their diploma at the ripe old age of 22 or 23.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:23 am

Football is somewhat unique to other pro sports in that beyond the NFL, CFL and now XFL there are limited to no opportunities for athletes to continue playing professionally once they leave the amateur ranks.

In hockey guys can make a decent living by continuing to play in the AHL, KHL or various other European leagues. There are literally hundreds of former NHL players or prospects who go on to have long careers playing overseas in leagues where typically they get tax free deals and are supplied housing and often a car.

Basketball has a number of European leagues along with other countries in the world.

Ditto with baseball as guys can continue to toil in the minors or head over to Japan, China, Mexico and other countries with professional circuits. When in Mazatlán this winter I noticed a few guys on the teams there who were obviously US ex-pats. When I Googled them I found that they were once MLB prospects but after failing to make the big leagues they bounced around the world. Venado CF Chris Roberson was a Phillies prospect 15 years ago. He had cups of coffee for a couple other MLB teams and has been playing in Mexico for the past decade. Pitcher Mitch Lively was once an MLB prospect spending time in the minor league organizations of the Rockies, Giants and Nationals. He spent 2015 in Japan and since then has been in Mexico and China. Perhaps like players who might double-dip in CFL and XFL for the past 2 years Lively has been playing in the Chinese Pro Baseball League in the summer and the Mexican League in the winter.

While baseball, basketball and hockey players can continue to make a living playing the game they love on into their late 30s for football players once the phone stops ringing from the NFL, CFL and now XFL it's pretty much end of the road. Arena football used to offer opportunities but it seems like it's gone the way of the dodo bird with most if not all North American leagues having folded. As such for far too many kids who grew up loving the game of football their dreams end the minute they get handed their diploma at the ripe old age of 22 or 23.
The opportunity for Canadians to continue playing football has been a big part of Randy Ambrosie's CFL 2.0 initiative. The alliances formed with other leagues around the world allow players who don't make CFL rosters to continue playing in Mexico, Italy, Japan or elsewhere. I believe the LFA currently pays players only US$350 per game but a number of Canadians are playing in the league this year. Like many Americans who come to the CFL when the NFL door closes on them, they do it for the love of the game and the pursuit of a dream more than for the money they can make.

JC Abbott recently took in LFA action in Mexico and posted last week about how the Canadian players there were loving the experience and making a bigger impact on the field so far than have Mexican players in the CFL.
This trip was primarily a fact-finding mission to see how the LFA’s Canadian players were enjoying this largely unprecedented experience. The response I got from players was overwhelmingly positive.

There were five Canadians in the game I watched, each of whom played an integral role for their respective teams, and I was able to speak to three of them after the game. All three said they would recommend that players consider extending their careers in Mexico.

They spoke universally about the high calibre of competition and how much they were enjoying the season. While you would expect these answers from professional athletes, I got the sense they were actually underselling how much they were enjoying themselves.
Mr. Worldwide: thoughts on a Mexican football experience
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Thanks for the above two posts (Hambone & B.C.FAN). Nice complimentary different-angled perspectives. Real interesting.

On another earlier topic, relating back to the XFL's influence re rules; Sounds like transparency during video review might be the mostly likely of any changes implemented for 2020. Also saw some discussion about tweaking the rouge in one specific situation (i.e. no point awarded when the field-goal attempt sails wide and out of the end-zone). Seems sensible. https://3downnation.com/2020/02/29/eski ... eo-replay/
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Meant to link to the other article as well... (on the possible rouge change). https://3downnation.com/2020/03/02/comm ... looked-at/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:45 pm
Meant to link to the other article as well... (on the possible rouge change). https://3downnation.com/2020/03/02/comm ... looked-at/
No, no, no. Game-winning rouges are rare but they're a vital part of CFL kicking rules. The Lions won their first game last year on a missed field goal that Chris Rainey fielded while standing on the back line of the end zone at BMO Field. If it had been a yard shorter, he could have run it out of the end zone, possibly for a game-winning touchdown, or kicked it out to avoid giving up the rouge. CFL kicking rules allow for excitement. The rouge rewards field position. It is just as valid to placekick the ball into or through the end zone as to punt it through. Similarly, players fielding a kick in the end zone can choose to return it or concede the rouge to get guaranteed field position at the 35 yard line. All these rules go hand in hand. Leave them alone.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Your impassioned defence is pretty convincing, B.C.FAN! Despite my saying it seemed sensible to consider this tweak, you've now swayed me against changes re this matter. Your points are well taken. Thanks for helping me get my head back on straight (for the moment anyhow). LOL.
BC 1988
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:57 pm
Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 12:45 pm
No, no, no. Game-winning rouges are rare but they're a vital part of CFL kicking rules. The Lions won their first game last year on a missed field goal that Chris Rainey fielded while standing on the back line of the end zone at BMO Field. If it had been a yard shorter, he could have run it out of the end zone, possibly for a game-winning touchdown, or kicked it out to avoid giving up the rouge. CFL kicking rules allow for excitement. The rouge rewards field position. It is just as valid to placekick the ball into or through the end zone as to punt it through. Similarly, players fielding a kick in the end zone can choose to return it or concede the rouge to get guaranteed field position at the 35 yard line. All these rules go hand in hand. Leave them alone.
Fully agree. The rouge must stay (or we might as call this game the XCFL, or some other tripe).
Figaro
Rookie

About the rule changes: I like the transparency rule on video replays. Hearing the officials discuss the replay and how they see it and arrive at their decision helps the game. As for players, coaches, refs being mic'd? I find it contributes to too much chatter and background noise. For me, the broadcast is better off without it.

Don't change the CFL kickoff - I love onside attempts etc. I think there is a high school in the States that never kicks field goals, punts or long kickoffs. I just Googled a search and here is a link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/spo ... ical-idea/

The one kick I would like to see eliminated is the convert for a point after a touchdown is scored. This has to be the most boring play in football. If they made a team run a two-point conversion then the spectators (the people who provide the money) get to see one more football play with high-risk potential. Most people head to the beer lines after a TD and don't wait for the convert - too predictable - and besides, I want to get a good spot in the beer line before the kickoff happens. But a two-point conversion gives me an extra play to watch and enjoy - in an average game that could be upwards of 10 or more football plays a game. Having two points depending on one play is almost exciting as third and goal. But then again, if they brought in this rule change I would have fewer opportunities to get a beer without missing the exciting parts of the game.

Keep the rouge - it is the CFL after all.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I kind of like the idea of no rouge if the ball sails through the end zone without touching the ground. A scenario where a team needs 1 point to tie (or win) and they have to decide whether to attempt a long field goal or punt the ball into the end zone and either cover or get a bounce out of bounds would be exciting. IMO, the rouge should be a awarded in exchange for field position, not as a reward for missing a FG.

I would like to see the CFL try the XFL kick-off system for a season. I think with the calibre of returners we have you would see at least one return for a TD in most games. Basically all the returner has to do is bust the line, as opposed to out maneuver coverage, and he could be gone. Plus the safety aspect should not be overlooked.

I am impressed by what I have seen of the XFL so far. Yes, there is a talent shortage at QB, but the talent level overall is not bad. The games got considerably better after week 2, which is basically what you would expect if you had 2 preseason games. The Dallas-Houston game was a very entertaining football game.

I also like how the XFL has avoided the hype and gimmickry of 2000. Now that the league is back up and running, you barely even hear about Vince McMahon. About my only criticism of the TV product is that some of the announcers are bit over the top when gushing about the XFL. The sideline reporters seemed to have backed off a bit and do not come off as intruders, they way they did in the first 2 weeks. The TV product seems to be finding it's groove. Oh, and I love the live look in during booth reviews. That is something the CFL should absolutely adopt.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Another time when a missed field goal rouge played a dramatic role in a Lions' game was in overtime in the 2004 West Division Final. Saskatchewan moved the ball into scoring position but the B.C. defence held and Paul McCallum's chip-shot field goal sailed wide and through the end zone for a rouge and a 25-24 Saskatchewan lead. The Lions came back but stalled at the Saskatchewan 33. Wally Buono sent Duncan O'Mahoney out to try a risky 40-yard field goal. O'Mahoney had hit a season-long 47-yarder at the end of the fourth quarter to send the game to overtime but he had made only 2 field goals of 40 yards or longer in the regular season. If he missed the 40-yarder in overtime, Saskatchewan likely would have run the ball out of the end zone for the victory. O'Mahoney nailed the kick for a 27-25 victory to send the Lions to the Grey Cup.

If McCallum's kick had not counted as a single point for Saskatchewan, there would have been far less pressure on O'Mahoney and less tension in the stadium. A miss likely would have just extended overtime. McCallum's rouge was thus a pivotal play in one of the most exciting games in Lions' history.
cms22
Starter

i might be in minority but i don't like players being miked up. i prefer more relaxed presentation. i guess i don't mind it for occasional replay.

i am huge marc tressman fan. but i am wondering if it was all AC at QB that led to his success........ of course, people are dismissive of his argo tenure, but didn't they win the grey cup (finalist?) in one of his 2 seasons?