BC Lions Free Agents Signings & Signings around the CFL

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

JohnnyMusso
Champion

I am setting this up for tomorrow. I expect it to be a busy day for the Lions and other teams.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Saskatchewan has signed QB James Franklin. That takes care of one former Eskimo who could have distracted Ed Hervey from the Lions’ bigger priorities.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

I like the Derel Walker idea if it were possible.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Lots of broken and sprained ankles over on RF on that one.

3 or even 4 years ago in their opinions it was taken for granted Franklin would be in Rider green as soon as he hit free agency for the first time unless Jones traded for him first. He was pegged to be the next great Rider QB. They weren't alone in the thought that Franklin was going to be very good as just about every fanbase thought the same. Turned out he never did hit free agency as the Argos traded him before that and signed him.

3 days ago in a Franklin thread consensus was they didn't need him as they've anointed Isaac Harker as their not to be challenged #2.

3 hours ago the flip-flop went back the other way with consensus being that this is a good signing for their QB depth.

Personally I thought it would be wise for them to add a veteran presence to the mix given Fajardo has but a single campaign as a starter under his belt with the most experienced backup to step in should Fajardo go down is Harker with 66 career pass attempts. Riders haven't had a lot of luck in QB health recently with their starter going down to injury in Week 1 in 2 of the last 5 seasons.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

CFL.ca's Rumour Mill says Brandon Dozier is heading for Calgary.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions are bringing back returner Chris Rainey, according to Davis Sanchez of TSN.
The_Pauser
Legend

Losing Dozier, especially to Calgary, hurts. There's now a huge hole at Safety.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

Fajardo is an interesting case. I was very pleased when we got him from the Argos as I saw some definite dual-threat potential in limited duty. While I didn't think he was given much of a shot here, he frankly, didn't impress in the limited time he was here. Even his QB sneaks seemed to be off.

Moving on to the Riders in 2019 and he played All-World. He was in an ideal situation whereby not a lot was expected but he far exceeded them, flourishing behind a great O-line. He became the fan and media darling of Saskatchewan. This begs the question of whether it is sustainable?

Was 2019 the year that everything finally came together for him or can you see some "market correction" in Fajardo's stats? I can't think of too many 4 year back-ups who suddenly throw for 4,300 yards and 18 TDs when thrust in the starter's role so 2020 should be interesting to watch.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
David
Team Captain

Hambone wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:45 am
CFL.ca's Rumour Mill says Brandon Dozier is heading for Calgary.
This probably speaks to Campbell's traditional defensive M.O. and 2020 strategy to play a National at safety.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Solomon Elimimian has re-signed in Saskatchewan for a deal reportedly worth up to $163,000.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Chris Rainey's signing has been confirmed by the Lions.

RAIN MAN RETURNS!

Ed Hervey said he wants the Lions to get faster. Rainey had a 79-yard punt return TD last year for Toronto but his longest kickoff return was just 48 yards.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

David wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:53 am
Fajardo is an interesting case. I was very pleased when we got him from the Argos as I saw some definite dual-threat potential in limited duty. While I didn't think he was given much of a shot here, he frankly, didn't impress in the limited time he was here. Even his QB sneaks seemed to be off.

Moving on to the Riders in 2019 and he played All-World. He was in an ideal situation whereby not a lot was expected but he far exceeded them, flourishing behind a great O-line. He became the fan and media darling of Saskatchewan. This begs the question of whether it is sustainable?

Was 2019 the year that everything finally came together for him or can you see some "market correction" in Fajardo's stats? I can't think of too many 4 year back-ups who suddenly throw for 4,300 yards and 18 TDs when thrust in the starter's role so 2020 should be interesting to watch.

After the way things shook down for Jennings I think I've become a resident of the "Show Me State", Missouri when it comes to QBs. After his initial part season and that sensational 5000 yard season in his first full year as starter in 2016 I thought we were set at QB for the next decade. I figured all he needed to do in 2017 was to cut down on forcing the football to reduce the picks and he'd be well on his way. Instead he stumbled in the other direction. I thought OK sophomore jinx in 2017 now I really need to see the 3rd year, kind of like a rubber match to determine if he would be the QB we thought we had in 2016 or the one that caused doubt in 2017. Turned out to be the latter and he doesn't seem to have righted the ship yet.

I started looking at Masoli in the same manner which is to say OK he looked good when taking over in Hamilton but I really need to see 3 years to make a final assessment. I'm also looking at Fajardo in the same manner. I'm still quite surprised at how he seized the moment last year. I honestly never saw anything in his previous 3 years to make me think he was capable of being that consistent over an extended period. But having seen Jennings and before him Printers going from what looked like star-in-the-making to journeyman or worse I need to see Fajardo back up 2019 with more of the same in 2020 before granting that he's arrived. Of course in RF as we did with Jennings and Printers it's like perish the thought that he will be anything less than what he showed last year.
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions sign DL Chris Casher and Cameron Walker.
Roar you Lions roar!
The_Pauser
Legend

Lions also sign DB Derek Jones.

Seems like a lot of "depth" signings. Still waiting for some meaningful change to the starting group.
Roar you Lions roar!
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:03 am
Lions sign DL Chris Casher and Cameron Walker.
Walker has been mainly a special teamer in past stints in Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa. Lions' press release:

LIONS SIGN FREE AGENT DEFENSIVE LINEMAN CAMERON WALKER