Jefferson wants $300,000 - Hervey Not Interested

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

I would be concerned about how the wage disparity would affect chemistry if Jefferson signed for big money in BC. Defense, more than offence has to work as a unit to be successful.

I'd love to see Roh back with the Lions.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

I don't think wage disparity bothers pro athletes. Unless the guy getting a big contract is dumb enough to rub it under the noses of his team mates by bragging or flaunting it I think his team mates are generally happy for him. Ultimately bigger contracts do shift salary expectations and can provide others leverage for their next negotiations. These guys all know it's a business and they all know and understand how the business works.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
BC 1988
Legend

https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1439492
Hervey on with Sekeres & Price today. Sekeres managed to get him in defensive mode (pun intended) with his line of questioning ("no no no no" replies about "cap trouble"). Jefferson sounds very unlikely with his +$300 k asking price.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Jefferson is going to Toronto. They just cut 13 players including Green. Argos will pay him what he wants. Lions will not.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:26 pm
https://www.tsn.ca/radio/vancouver-1040 ... -1.1439492
Hervey on with Sekeres & Price today. Sekeres managed to get him in defensive mode (pun intended) with his line of questioning ("no no no no" replies about "cap trouble"). Jefferson sounds very unlikely with his +$300 k asking price.
Hervey also had some interesting comments on the offensive line, suggesting he has high expectations for David Knevel, saying Knevel always exceeded expectations when he got playing time at left tackle. I agree. Hervey also had good things to say about Peter Godber and Brett Boyko. Two potential FAs he didn’t mention were David Foucault and Justin Renfrow. I don’t expect Foucault to return. Renfrow, who has stayed in town this winter and been active in the community, suggested on Twitter Friday that he is ready to move on to a new city.
Justin Renfrow
@RenfrowJustin
The amount of people that have come up to me in the stores of surrey and thanked me for working with their kids is mind blowing to me! But I’m thankful in my short time here I was able to make my mark! Time to go help the next city! 😘
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Update:

Ed Hervey reported on Sekeres & Price Show that Jefferson is wanting $300,000. Too rich for Lions blood. Hervey suggested too much for him to pay. I updated the topic for Jefferson is not on Lions radar.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Good luck to Jefferson
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 7:01 pm
Update:

Ed Hervey reported on Sekeres & Price Show that Jefferson is wanting $300,000. Too rich for Lions blood. Hervey suggested too much for him to pay. I updated the topic for Jefferson is not on Lions radar.
I'm sorry but for $300K he better have good mobility, ability to read a defense and ability to make all the throws.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

I could see Toronto paying him. They are just foolish enough to do so and they cut SJ Green who I am sure was making around $200,000
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:01 pm
I could see Toronto paying him. They are just foolish enough to do so and they cut SJ Green who I am sure was making around $200,000
I read that SJ wanted a release and that Pinball said the door for him to return is open.

If Jefferson is smart, he'll use this time to get his current team to up their offer. At his stage of career, my advice would be to stay where he is now.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Murdoch
All Star

Jefferson probably using Bighill's mega deal as a comparison. No doubt teammates talk and he would know details. $300,000 might be a bit high but if starting there gets him $280,000, Mama's going to be okay with that.

We'll see what the Bombers do. They like to use a bonus to keep the salary down but believe it all counts against the cap. I place my bet on WJ re-signing in Wpg. Definite salary cap implications wherever he goes.

Doesn't seem as something that will drag on given this new 2 hr negotiation rule.
The_Pauser
Legend

Apparently the Lions are targeting Derel Walker and Micah Johnson. Two big signings. If we go with Johnson then I want Lemon back on the D-line.
Roar you Lions roar!
cms22
Starter

$300k seems like a really reasonable number compared to my sketchy understanding of what other CFLers make..... i think there are lots of CFLers making $200k but a big drop-off above that (i.e. almost no non-QB's at $300k)

i think the CFL is ripe for some "moneyball"... i hate the expression but everyone knows the vague idea.... spend money differently than other teams (need to tie it into american scouting too)............ i've been negative that "mike reilly" contract, basically because we need help so many other places and most other teams have done well with first time CFL starters (that wasn't the case 20 years ago)
cms22
Starter

what does bighill make?
cms22
Starter

montreal's new GM said (para-phrase) the best teams let high priced top veterans leave and develop new talent (i'm thinking americans, but i think moccocia sp? means canadians too)...

and i agree completely (at least on americans)..... u need stability too, but not expensive stability necessarily