Lions signings for 2020

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

B.C.FAN wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:19 pm
According to the Langley Rams, receiver Jesse Walker has signed with the Lions. Walker, a 6-2, 195-lb. former Manitoba Bison from Mission, played with the Rams after he was cut by the Lions in training camp last year. He would be the third former Ram on the team, joining second-year receiver Jevon Cottoy and rookie running back Andrew Pocrnic. Walker and Pocrnic are both 22. Cottoy is 23.

https://twitter.com/LangleyRams/status/ ... 77665?s=20
Nice. They must have seen something worthwhile last camp -- bringing him back for further experience/improvements. I'm liking this a lot! Young local fellows in the mix. I have high hopes for Cottoy based on what we all saw last season. Thumbs up to this approach toward making up the Lions' roster.
Murdoch
All Star

Curious about whether guys like Ronnie Yell and Tristan Okpalaugo just fell off the cliff and are done. Both missed last year but were very good the year before. Okpalaugo worth a look imo. Victor Butler was another.

Sometimes there are other things happening as well.

Also want to make a comment about Rick Campbell and it is not intended to bash but I was not a fan of the way Purifoy and AC Leonard got the boot in Ottawa. Both were good players and fan favourites. I hope he doesn't mess things up with more of that stuff. Not my place but just saying.

Drake Nevis is another free agent worth looking at.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Purifoy has had a history of being a trouble maker. He got the boot because of off field issues that were never reported. Can someone with more knowledge say why Purifoy got cut in Ottawa. Before Buono signed him he had similar off field issues which made him a red flag to NFL teams.

I think he learned and behaved himself in Regina.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have confirmed the signing of former Langley Rams receiver Jesse Walker, as discussed here earlier this week, along with the recent signing of two Americans, OL Chaunecy Briggs and DB A.J. Westbrook.

I count 90 players on the Lions' online roster but 26 of those are due to become free agents next month.

LIONS SIGN LANGLEY RAMS WR JESSE WALKER; ADD TWO AMERICANS
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Gridiron Ernie
Champion

More detailed article on Lee's one-year contract extension. https://www.bclions.com/2020/01/28/ive- ... extension/
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:03 pm
More detailed article on Lee's one-year contract extension. https://www.bclions.com/2020/01/28/ive- ... extension/
Lee wasn't on the list of pending Lions' free agents. He just added a year to his contract, which was to expire after the 2020 season. The Lions still have 26 pending free agents, including the rest of the starting secondary: Garry Peters, Aaron Grymes, Branden Dozier and Crezdon Butler, plus backups Anthony Thompson and Josh Woodman. They also lost nickelback Chris Edwards to the NFL. Ed Hervey has a lot of work to do.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

The question is will Hervey sign anyone else before Feb 2 when these players can talk to other teams? For the 3rd year in a row, Lions may rebuild most of their secondary again which concerns me. It could take them half a season to gel as an unit like last year. If all leave, I cannot see the Lions making the playoffs. It will be tough as it is and for the 2nd year in a row Hervey has signed barely anyone just 5 or 6 of over 30 free agents. Seems he is content to let most walk again, except for maybe 1 or 2 who may sign late.
TheLionKing
Hall of Famer

Rumour is that the Lions will be signing Vinny Testaverde Jr.

https://www.tsn.ca/report-b-c-lions-to- ... -1.1434509
JohnnyMusso
Champion

Lions Sign Aaron Grymes For Two More Seasons.

So Grymes is a late signing. Hopefully, Hervey will resign 1 or 2 more before Feb 2 kicks in for then a bidding war could start for some of their free agents and I think most of them will leave.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:21 pm
Lions Sign Aaron Grymes For Two More Seasons.

So Grymes is a late signing. Hopefully, Hervey will resign 1 or 2 more before Feb 2 kicks in for then a bidding war could start for some of their free agents and I think most of them will leave.
I don't know that "bidding wars" will really happen. Keep in mind when other teams do make offers they are binding. A team looking for say 1 slotback can't just go out there and make offers on 6 pending FA slotbacks as they could conceivably wind up with all of them. They will still have to be pragmatic in their shopping.

The one thing I'm still not clear on is if say Toronto puts in an offer for a BC pending FA is the offer made known only to the Lions after it's registered with the CFL and CFLPA? Or are all member teams made aware of who is offering what to which FA? I'd like to think only the Lions would be privy to other offers because the idea is for the incumbent team to have a chance at matching or bettering an offer to keep the player. Otherwise it would be just like an eBay auction whereby another team with knowledge of Toronto's offer could wait until the last second to one-up it. Still it's the player's decision which offer to accept or to accept none and go to free agency.
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have reportedly signed former Redblacks QB Will Arndt and former NFL defensive end Cap Capi.

Arndt, 26, who was released by Ottawa last week, announced his signing on Twitter Thursday morning. He is a big QB at 6 ft. 5 and 215 lbs. He took over as Ottawa's starting QB late in the 2019 season. He completed 103 of 165 passes (62.4%) for 940 yards, 3 TDs and 6 INTs. He wouold be the sixth QB on the Lions' roster but that includes Brandon Bridge, who is due to become a free agent in February.

QB Arndt announces he'll sign with Lions

Capi, 27, (6 ft. 3, 249 lbs.) bounced around NFL training camps and practice rosters for four years. He played collegiately at Akron and was first signed by Jacksonville as an undrafted free agent in 2015. He played 8 games in 2017 and had 7 tackles, one sack and a forced fumble, mostly with Buffalo. His signing was listed on the cfl.ca transaction wire.
JohnnyMusso
Champion

This is very good news:

The BC Lions Football Club announced on Thursday morning it has re-signed veteran Canadian offensive lineman Hunter Steward for two more seasons. Hunter was eligible to become a free agent on February 11th.

“I’m very excited and proud to be staying with the only professional organization I’ve ever known,” said Steward.

“Talking with Ed and hearing his vision with how he plans on building this team made this an even easier decision for me.”
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Steward's signing could leave David Foucault as the odd man out on the line. They both played several positions last year but were most comfortable at left guard. With Sukh Chungh under contract at right guard and Americans likely to play the two tackle positions, the only open starting position is at centre, and Steward did not play well at centre when he was asked to make the switch in training camp last year.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have confirmed the signings of quarterbacks Will Arndt and Vincent Testaverde Jr., both of whom have previously been mentioned in this thread. That gives the Lions six QBs under contract for 2020 plus pending FA Brandon Bridge.

LIONS SIGN QB’S VINCENT TESTAVERDE JR. AND WILLIAM ARNDT