Coaching staff announced.

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Coast Mountain Lion wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:23 pm

I was just thinking of CFL coaches, having paid almost no recent attention to any NFL activity.

Emphasis added to the above - I recognise the names Zac Taylor and Kliff Kingsbury as both having a had a cup of coffee with the Bombers but don't have no idea about the others.
Recently fired Cowboy HC Jason Garrett and Saints HC Sean Payton both had short stays with the Ottawa Rough Riders. Garrett was there in 1991 signed June 4th and released in August. Garrett did dress as one of Damon Allen's backups but I don't think saw any regular season action.

Payton was in Ottawa briefly in 1987. His rights had actually been sold to Ottawa in 1987 by the Arena League Pittsburgh Gladiators for the princely sum of $1000.00. I don't think he was there long. He may not have advanced beyond the PR. After Ottawa he resurfaced in Chicago later in 1987 as a replacement player during the strike.

Former Charger HC Mike McCoy was with Calgary in 1999 as 3rd string behind Dave Dickenson and Henry Burris. After both of them went down he wound up playing a few games going 117 of 183 for 1669 yards 10 TDs and 3 picks.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

JC Abbott offers some interesting observations about each of the Lions' new coaches, beginning with offensive coordinator Jordan Maksymic.
Most importantly for the Lions, Maksymic has been at least partly responsible for the best seasons of Mike Reilly’s career. Every season from 2016 to 2018, Edmonton’s down the field passing attack was top three in the league in yardage, average yards per attempt and completion percentage.

That type of remarkable efficiency coupled with big play production brought Reilly the Most Outstanding Player Award in 2017. Jason Maas may have been in control of that offence, but Maksymic was integral to the design and execution of the passing game.

What I find equally remarkable is how Maksymic adapted his offence to fit a new quarterback once Reilly left and he was promoted to the role of play-caller. With Trevor Harris at the helm, Maksymic pivoted to a high efficiency, quick passing system.

Relying on the short passing game to march the field, the Eskimos offence remained admirably effective despite what many would describe as a downgrade at quarterback. It also marked the third time in Maksymic’s four year tenure that his passing offence was in the top two in the league for fewest sacks allowed.
Assessing the B.C. Lions’ 2020 coaching staff
serpintine
prospect

JohnnyMusso wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:05 pm
The best news to come out of this is that Jarious Jackson is gone.
I second that emotion
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Matt Baker's article on Danny O'Brien's transition into coaching. https://www.bclions.com/2020/01/27/obri ... -coaching/
Murdoch
All Star

Coincidence or does it seem like Mike Reilly is influencing the decisions with Jordan Maksymic and Danny OBrien set up to run the offence. Sounds like those he likes are re-signed and those he doesn't are gone. Almost a be careful what you wish for situation where others are problem but the five step drop is far from an issue. Good luck with that one however it goes.

Will be surprised if Ryan Lankford is back which will be no big deal in Rick Campbells opinion. I keep thinking to give Jon Jennings a break because Ottawa was a tire fire last year and then I remember that RC was the coach. I hope it works.
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:42 am
Coincidence or does it seem like Mike Reilly is influencing the decisions with Jordan Maksymic and Danny OBrien set up to run the offence. Sounds like those he likes are re-signed and those he doesn't are gone. Almost a be careful what you wish for situation where others are problem but the five step drop is far from an issue. Good luck with that one however it goes.

Will be surprised if Ryan Lankford is back which will be no big deal in Rick Campbells opinion. I keep thinking to give Jon Jennings a break because Ottawa was a tire fire last year and then I remember that RC was the coach. I hope it works.

Having watched the Lions practice and play last season this looks to me more like a decision on who has the smarts to run the offence and how well these coaches fit with the star QB versus Reilly demanding new or these coaches. Don't see Reilly that way at all.

I say this as I could not get my head around how brutal the Jarius Jackson layered pass routes weren't working and were a DBs dream fantasy. DBs like fans like me knew that a big pass rush meant that REC like Duron Carter were not SCHEDULED to turn like the short REC were or the REC streaking on a Post route. On top of that was the play calling and Jarius is no Paul LaPolice when it comes to calling plays. We shall see if being a HC and OC distracts Lapo from the kind of rhythm he was used with the Bombers and his ability to bring in Streveler for a change up.

I don't grasp either how Reilly wasn't screaming for changes in the offensive structure as he could see the film too. He just seemed to take the blows and keep his mouth shut most of the team. Rare but I have been on teams where a player leads a revolt when things aren't working. Not a common thing but seen it.

O'Brien clearly built his CFL career on his strengths and unlike most back ups hoping for his starter to get nicked and miss some plays, he was comfortable in the role he had. Not many backups want to go this far. I know how most guys think ... but they're still alive so no stories lol
“It’s no secret to those that know me that a big reason I was able to play for six years was that I was good at providing a second set of eyes for the starter,” explained O’Brien.

“I played behind three potential future Hall of Famers in Henry Burris, Trevor (Harris) and Mike. To earn their respect you have to see it the right way and add value to the quarterback room. I think that helped prolong my career in general. I think that kind of bridges the gap between me playing and coaching. It will be pretty similar.”
O'Brien will be a good coach and who knows - he could still come out of retirement and suit up.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Toppy Vann
Hall of Famer

Reilly's success with the right play book and play calling is only as good as the protection. We saw how brutal the O Line was to start and how bad the QBs numbers were.
"Ability without character will lose." - Marv Levy
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Toppy Vann wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:32 am

Having watched the Lions practice and play last season this looks to me more like a decision on who has the smarts to run the offence and how well these coaches fit with the star QB versus Reilly demanding new or these coaches. Don't see Reilly that way at all.
100% behind you on those thoughts Toppy. The most productive situation to have IMO is one where the QB, OC and QBC are all on the same page and have buy-in with each other. I felt all along that this new staff had Campbell's finger prints all over it, not Hervey's finger prints and not Reilly's finger prints. If Campbell was going to allow Reilly to dictate who his coaches would be then he's already letting the inmates run the asylum.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

Reilly's overly high salary is what is influencing the calibre of the rest of the team. That and the $250k that the Lions are overpaying Suk Chung.
Murdoch
All Star

Appreciate the insight and comments.

Would be hard to argue the team is not being built around Mike Reilly again and why not let him work with those he has done well with in the past. I assume they are confident and expecting success. Fewer excuses for next year if this one doesn't work.

Outside chance Toronto will trade for MR. Other than the coaching staff being built around him I'm not so sure the Lions wouldn't do as well with MBT and the cap savings.
Unlikely though.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

DanoT wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:29 am
Reilly's overly high salary is what is influencing the calibre of the rest of the team. That and the $250k that the Lions are overpaying Suk Chung.
It's a bit early yet but no signs of Chungh being asked to take a pay cut. I'm curious to see how he does this year. I'm not convinced that he ever was 100% coming out of training camp last year.
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Nice introductions! Enjoyed this. Appreciated getting the faces and voices connected with a bit of personality. Short but sweet. https://www.bclions.com/2020/03/02/fun- ... ces-staff/
David
Team Captain

Gridiron Ernie wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 1:26 pm
Nice introductions! Enjoyed this. Appreciated getting the faces and voices connected with a bit of personality. Short but sweet. https://www.bclions.com/2020/03/02/fun- ... ces-staff/
Thanks for posting that. I love creative exercises like!

Jason Tucker starts off fun fact, "I don't know nothing about this game, don't know why I'm here. :rotf:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Murdoch
All Star

DanoT wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:29 am
Loonie cap has Chung listed at $200,000 for what it's worth.

Curious if the bonus payment taxed at 15% is something not available to Nationals due to residency issues.

Pretty sure when they talk about Willie Jefferson taking less money it doesn't mean he ended up with less money. The tax savings being the difference.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Murdoch wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:08 am
Curious if the bonus payment taxed at 15% is something not available to Nationals due to residency issues.
A bonus can be taxed at any rate at time of payment. Years ago when I worked in payroll in logging vacation pay for the loggers would come out on the same cheque as their regular pay. Taxes on their regular work would be applied at normal rates like any other regular cheque while the vacation pay part would be taxed at a flat rate otherwise the employee would get clobbered on income taxes in that pay period. Something like 15% or 20% rings a bell. It was similar years later when I was on the receiving end of profit sharing and incentive bonuses. They would be taxed at a flat rate and separate from the regular part of the pay cheque. If they didn't do that taxes on for example $3000 regular + $10000 bonus in a 2 week pay period would be applied at a rate applicable for the equivalent of earning $338K annually ($13K x 26 pay periods) when the reality is the annual salary was $78K.

Whichever way the bonus is taxed at the time it still all comes out in the wash at the end of the year. When tax time comes around the bonus is just part of the player's overall gross taxable income and in your example the 15% would be part of his income taxes paid. When the dust settles and all the calculations are done he will be taxed at whatever rate his net taxable income calls for.