2019 All Things Lions Marketing & Promotions

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

David
Team Captain

Nice to see the club courting students for Saturdays home game with a $20 ticket (all-in) and a chance to win $20,000 dollars by kicking field goals (if they are successful from the 20-yard line = $500, if successful from the 30 = $2,000, then they can keep the cash or try from the 40 for $20,000).

I hope they are actively promoting this event (on schools' websites through social media etc.) because so far, I have only seen Student Rush Night featured on the Lions' own site.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
aklawitter
All Star

so being a TELUS customer I get a message offering Buy One Get One on tickets to either the upcoming Argos or Riders game

I go to take advantage and get met with an 8 (!) ticket minimum

:dizzy: :clown:
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

aklawitter wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:02 pm
so being a TELUS customer I get a message offering Buy One Get One on tickets to either the upcoming Argos or Riders game

I think I would be inclined to phone the Lions and tell them that someone has hacked their account. Or maybe it was Telus who got hacked because no one would seriously try to sell 8 ticket minimums to see a last place team in a near empty stadium vs the only 2 teams in the CFL that are worse than the Lions.

OTOH the Lions are on a 3 game winning streak so maybe some corporate marketing genius thinks this promo will work. :dizzy:
aklawitter
All Star

DanoT wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:11 pm
aklawitter wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:02 pm

I think I would be inclined to phone the Lions and tell them that someone has hacked their account. Or maybe it was Telus who got hacked because no one would seriously try to sell 8 ticket minimums to see a last place team in a near empty stadium vs the only 2 teams in the CFL that are worse than the Lions.

OTOH the Lions are on a 3 game winning streak so maybe some corporate marketing genius thinks this promo will work. :dizzy:
seems to have been fixed now, to a maximum 8 tickets. i did get a laugh out of the obvious mistake
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The Lions have launched their 2020 season ticket renewal campaign, and ticket prices have gone down in some categories. My early-bird invoice for end-zone seats is $530, or $26.50 per game including handling fee. Those seats sell for $36 to single-game buyers this year, plus fees.

The Lions are offering a few perks for early renewals, including a draw for trip for two to the Grey Cup in Calgary or a fishing trip for two with Travis Lulay to Queen Charlotte Lodge.

Here's a link to 2020 renewal page, including seating chart with early-bird prices:
https://www.bclions.com/seasontickets/
Rocko604
Rookie

Only about 6 weeks late replying to the idea of a new stadium, but Vancouver Giants owner Ron Toigo, while not outright saying it, but not making it a secret either that he would love an 8-10k seat arena, likely in Surrey. I would guarantee that if that were ever become a reality, I could see the new owners of the Lions trying to partner with him in exploring a TD Field/Arena set up.

I've also bounced this around on a CFL facebook page to negative feedback, but could the Lions look at tarping sections of the *lower* bowl next season? Given we're only getting 20k on a good night, what would be the harm in tarping the tops of certain sections like the Whitecaps do, and removing them if need be?
David
Team Captain

Rocko604 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:24 pm
I've also bounced this around on a CFL facebook page to negative feedback, but could the Lions look at tarping sections of the *lower* bowl next season? Given we're only getting 20k on a good night, what would be the harm in tarping the tops of certain sections like the Whitecaps do, and removing them if need be?
LeLacheur talked about this earlier this year as something the club is considering. He wants to sell advertising on the tarps though which will look very tacky IMHO. Better to make them as inconspicuous as possible or brand them in team colours/logos.

Given that attendance is at 17,425 per game this year (down 2,500 per game YOY), tarping would make sense to give the building some life. Montreal has done it this year to great effect.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

Rocko604 wrote:
Only about 6 weeks late replying to the idea of a new stadium, but Vancouver Giants owner Ron Toigo, while not outright saying it, but not making it a secret either that he would love an 8-10k seat arena, likely in Surrey. I would guarantee that if that were ever become a reality, I could see the new owners of the Lions trying to partner with him in exploring a TD Field/Arena set up.
It's all hindsight now, but perhaps the Lions should have built their temporary stadium in 2010 somewhere in the burbs. It would have given them some indication about whether or not a future suburban stadium would help or hurt attendance. While playing at the old Empire Stadium location had a certain romantic appeal, in reality it was terribly inconvenient place to play in terms of traffic and transit. I don't think they would have done worse attendance wise playing in Burnaby or Surrey.
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Belize City Lion wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:40 am
Rocko604 wrote:
It's all hindsight now, but perhaps the Lions should have built their temporary stadium in 2010 somewhere in the burbs. It would have given them some indication about whether or not a future suburban stadium would help or hurt attendance. While playing at the old Empire Stadium location had a certain romantic appeal, in reality it was terribly inconvenient place to play in terms of traffic and transit. I don't think they would have done worse attendance wise playing in Burnaby or Surrey.
I doubt the Lions and Whitecaps had much say in the location of Tempire. That was Pavco's call as they were the ones who bore the cost. As a 15 month temporary solution there was no need to add other temporary infrastructure such as roads and parking lots to the PNE site. It was likely a least cost alternative for Pavco compared to possible sites out in the burbs.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

Rocko604 wrote:
The issue for both groups would be trying to attract the various levels of government to pony up 90% or more of the cost. Toigo certainly wouldn't be digging very deep into his pockets and we all know that based on profitability of CFL teams it would take years for a CFL owner to get full return on even a small stadium investment. Toigo was doing OK in the Pacific Coliseum using only the lower bowl. He's since moved the G-Men out to Langley where last year they averaged only 3579 (67% capacity) in the 5276 seat LEC. They played 2 games at the Coliseum with attendances of 9385 and 6156 to bring the overall average up to 3826. I'm not sure an 8-10K arena wouldn't be overkill. The Edmonton Oil Kings led the WHL last year averaging 7661 followed by Calgary 7363, Spokane 5959, Portland 5916, Everett 5614 and Regina at 5201 as the only teams over 5000.
Hambone
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:05 pm
The Lions have launched their 2020 season ticket renewal campaign, and ticket prices have gone down in some categories. My early-bird invoice for end-zone seats is $530, or $26.50 per game including handling fee. Those seats sell for $36 to single-game buyers this year, plus fees.

The Lions are offering a few perks for early renewals, including a draw for trip for two to the Grey Cup in Calgary or a fishing trip for two with Travis Lulay to Queen Charlotte Lodge.

Here's a link to 2020 renewal page, including seating chart with early-bird prices:
https://www.bclions.com/seasontickets/
Looks like they've added a few more things.
Kids pricing has been expanded to be youth (17 and under).
College Zone (single game only)
The Den looks to be like an expansion of the Beach Zone with the bottom half dozen rows or so being available on a ST basis and the rest (sections 225 to 230) being on single game basis.

Looking back at 2013 there were only 5 price points; 1 for Club Seating and 4 for the rest. There were no kids or youth ST options. There are now 3 price points for Club Seating, 6 for regular seating plus Youth ST options. While pricing has gone up in some areas end zone (blue), side end zone (yellow) and red zone club seats are all marginally cheaper or basically the same as 2013.
David
Team Captain

Always interesting to read people's perceptions of the Lions. HERE is a good cross-section on Reddit (granted, from 2 years ago but worth a read). The poster wants to know why the hate-on for the Lions/CFL when the same doesn't seem to exist for the Whitecaps, which is far from the top-level European leagues? There may be some good learnings here for the Lions' Marketing department.

I am sure they have heard all of this before (one misguided sap seems to think that if the Lions/CFL didn't exist (his hope), "we" could lobby for an NFL team :roll: ). Some like/love the team, but many seem to be indifferent. That is the challenge the club faces; making people care about the team - and league - again. To me, it's about telling the players' stories. It's harder to connect or care when they are anonymous faces on the sides of buses.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
SammyGreene
Team Captain

Apparently director of communications Jamie Cartmell has been laid off in a cost-cutting move by the club. We know the red ink has been bleeding the last couple of years now it's starting to cost some longtime employees their jobs.
Belize City Lion
Hall of Famer

SammyGreene wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm
Apparently director of communications Jamie Cartmell has been laid off in a cost-cutting move by the club. We know the red ink has been bleeding the last couple of years now it's starting to cost some longtime employees their jobs.
Hopefully it's just a seasonal layoff and Cartnell will be back on the team payroll by training camp. He and Matt Baker do an excellent job with communications and social media. I only wish they would consistently put out a podcast every week, especially since 1040 stopped doing 3 Down Radio.
David
Team Captain

While has not been "officially" announced by the Lions (to the best of my knowledge), it has been reported in Business in Vancouver (and on the CFL's Twitter feed) that the Leos are going to allow anyone 17 or under to get into the home opener for FREE, then for just $10 all season (this last part of course, has been announced).

https://biv.com/article/2020/03/vancouv ... local-fans
Of interest here in this article is that the club averages 110,000 TV viewers in the local viewing market. Ambrosie said it is 125,000 the other day to BC Lions Den, according to his Twitter feed. Either way, not a bad "average" considering we were 5-13 last year. This would also include the dreaded 4:00pm Eastern/5:00pm Central starts.

Roar, You Lions, Roar