Lions signings for 2020

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

maxlion
Legend

BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm
TSN 1040 just reported Duron Carter has been released (so that experiment is over).
Inevitable but kind of odd timing. Probably the end of his CFL career. Perhaps he'll resurface in the XFL.
VictoriaFan
Starter

I remember during the Calgary game when the QB was scrambling he just stopped and stood around instead of continuing to get open and I thought, well that's the end of you being a Lion
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

maxlion wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:29 pm
BC 1988 wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:04 pm
TSN 1040 just reported Duron Carter has been released (so that experiment is over).
Inevitable but kind of odd timing. Probably the end of his CFL career. Perhaps he'll resurface in the XFL.
He was only on a 1 year deal. He would have already received his final pay cheque. No sense keeping him around any longer unless for some bizarre reason they were considering him in their 2020 plans.
Last edited by Hambone on Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Carter's tenure with the Lions ended quietly with a one-line note on the transaction wire.
November 8, 2019
Release from Roster: WR Duron Carter (A)
Carter's play on the field made him a major disappointment. His lackadaisical, free-spirited nature was well known when he arrived but he also had a reputation as a player who could make tough catches in traffic and make people miss in the open field. We saw little of that.

Carter's 67 catches for 614 yards ranked third on the team but other stats illustrate the disappointing nature of his season. His average catch was just 9.2 yards, which ranked ninth among B.C. receivers. His 153 yards after the catch ranked fifth on the team. And he caught only 62% of the passes targeted at him, the lowest among the Lions' five regular receivers. Jevon Cottoy led the team at 86%, followed by Shaq Johnson at 69%, Bryan Burnham at 68% (many of them highly contested) and Lemar Durant at 65%.

Let the competition for boundary WR begin.
David
Team Captain

The moment I read that Lemar Durant's signing was for $192,000 in 2020 and $200,000 in 2021 (as reported by Farhan Lalji), I knew Carter's days as a Lion were over.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Hambone
Hall of Famer
Location: Living in PG when not at BC Place, Grey Cup or Mazatlan.

Maybe the signs were there at camp BCF. I recall watching him in the gassers. He seemed to only be willing to put in enough effort to finish just barely ahead of the o-linemen. During the stretching exercises he seemed quite content to yuk it up with any coach or waterboy who happened to walk by. The only muscles he seemed to stretch were his jaw muscles. Despite that I still question the way he was deployed. I think his low average per reception was in large part due to Jackson's penchant for getting the ball in his hands within a couple yards of the line of scrimmage. It was a rare occurance that Reilly would go downfield to him anywhere near the middle of the field.
You're as old as you've ever been and as young as you're ever going to be.
Dusty
Champion

There were moments when Carter was open on one side of the field, but the play went to the other side the field. Sometimes, Carter and Burnham were in the same side and only had one DB covering. I thought that if the QB faked to one side and then went to the other side, he might have been open more often downfield. But that type of "play action" (or any type of play action) was not part of the offensive plan.

Whether or not Carter was misused, I really don't think that he added much value this year and would have been very surprised if he was back for 2020.
David
Team Captain

Of course, there's no way they could sign Rick Campbell with Duron Carter on the roster, conspiracy theorists. :wink:

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:18 pm
Of course, there's no way they could sign Rick Campbell with Duron Carter on the roster, conspiracy theorists. :wink:

Ha ha! It took a few seconds but then the light went on.

The_Pauser
Legend

I was a Duron Carter fan. I loved the signing and was willing to give him a chance here. It still makes me sick to see how he's treated by people. People will egg him on, insult him, and then play the victim card when he defends himself. As someone who has had that happen to myself, I can relate to how Carter felt.

Having said that though, simply put, his production wasn't good enough. I don't know what his salary was, but he for sure wasn't cheap. I agree with a post from earlier that suggested Carter's money probably went to Durant, who absolutely earned it with his play this year.

I still would like to see one more big time weapon brought in. Derel Walker would probably be my target in the off-season. I think Cottoy is someone who can probably be leaned on a bit more next year too, but I want to see an offense with at least 4 dangerous weapons.
Roar you Lions roar!
Sir Purrcival
Hall of Famer

I guess that you get a reputation and even if you change your ways, sometimes your past haunts you. I didn't love the signing in the first instance and I was suspicious that his past record would come with him. It wasn't on display as much as I thought it might be but there were hints here and there. Maybe not enough to cut him loose on its own but coupled with a lack luster performance and clearly there was no future for him here. I wonder if anyone else is going to take a flyer on him in the CFL. I wouldn't say impossible but with the apparent decrease in his offensive output, having gone through several teams in a number of years, it really seems that there other less expensive options available.
Tell me how long must a fan be strong? Ans. Always.
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

I have always maintained that once Carter became a more mature person he would become a great player. I think for the most part he did mature as a BC Lion but the great performances didn't happen. Part of Carter's problem was being stuck in a less than innovative, less than inspiring, offense with not much adaptability to take advantage of specific weaknesses in each opponent.

In other words Jarious Jackson's offense looked like a Wally Bono offense. And in 2019 there was no Ty Long punting to consistently help the O with field position like he did in 2018.
SammyGreene
Team Captain

David wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:02 pm
The moment I read that Lemar Durant's signing was for $192,000 in 2020 and $200,000 in 2021 (as reported by Farhan Lalji), I knew Carter's days as a Lion were over.

And this plus Burnham's salary means the Lions don't need to go further into their cap for another American receiver to replace Carter. This is where they need to lean on their scouting department to find a productive rookie salary #3 receiver. Spend Carter's salary on a defensive starter next season.
David
Team Captain

Carter had a bad drop on the first pass to him in the 1st quarter, but otherwise, I thought he played quite well against the Stamps. But I don't understand why, if they knew they were going to release him just over a week later, would they not see what they have in Augustin (or another PR player) in live game action?

The patience they showed with Duron in 2019 was truly remarkable.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
Dusty
Champion

David wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:55 pm
Carter had a bad drop on the first pass to him in the 1st quarter, but otherwise, I thought he played quite well against the Stamps. But I don't understand why, if they knew they were going to release him just over a week later, would they not see what they have in Augustin (or another PR player) in live game action?

The patience they showed with Duron in 2019 was truly remarkable.

In the post game, Duron was quite proud of the fact that he dressed for all 18 games, for the first time in his career (IIRC). I suppose that is something, but I cannot think that it would be a career highlight when he looks back on it 10 years from now.