Riders 45 - Lions 18 -- Post Game Comments

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

MikeAK
All Star

Am happy to say I was at the game last night. Even during a loss the CFL experience in person is a lot of fun. I had a blast.

I did however see a lot of concerning things off the field. I was 3 rows up from behind the team bench and there are a lot of guys not on the same page. Not sure if it's too many leaders trying to establish themselves or if there are too many anarchists but there's a lot of disagreeing going on. The team has a big problem if the leaders can't rise to the top and take charge.

The personnel is questionable talent wise but if the team can't get on the same page and start playing together it's not going to matter who they have on the field.

Other than that though, the CFL is such a great live experience. I love it and wish there were more early start games so I could get there more. Being on Van Isl and the price of things today make going over for regular games almost impossible for me.
The_Pauser
Legend

I think it's crazy that some people are still blaming Wally Buono, or are blaming Mike Reilly for this. It's a ridiculous statement that cannot be supported by anything factual.

Here are the facts:

1) Yes, Ed Hervey did throw Jennings under the bus last year. Was he wrong? If he was then Jenning must be playing well in Ottawa. OH wait, he's not. Hmm...maybe Hervey was not so wrong then?

2) Wally Buono is not affiliated with the Lions anymore. I'm not sure why this needs to be said, but seemingly it does.

3) Jarious Jackson is a holdover from last year; however, he's not having to gameplan around the previous coach's instructions. Suggesting that this is the case just shows a personal irrational hate against Wally Buono that probably wont' be resolved with this message.

4) Devone Claybrooks is a rookie head coach and has made some rookie mistakes. Letting your QB tell you he's not coming out of the game is one of those mistakes.

5) No professional QB is going to tell his coach that he wants to be taken out. Criticizing Mike Reilly for this is also ridiculous. I don't want a QB to tell his coach "we suck today coach, take me out." It's the coach's job to tell his team what to do, but I do not expect the QB, the team's leader, to just quit on the team. Sounds to me more like people complaining for the sake of complaining.

Now that we have that out of the way, let's look at what is wrong with this team.

The team composition is something that almost everyone was happy with at the start of the season. There were a lot of question marks, don't get me wrong, but we all fully expected that our offense would be strong and that this was certainly a playoff team. So what went wrong? Well on defense our defensive line has been inept. Our linebackers have not been good, Herdman-Reed especially has taken a step back from what we saw last year, and our DB's have shown to be leaky. The DB situation has been addressed with a few signings this year, but you could have the best DB's in the league and still fail if the other team's QB has as much time as we're giving up.

It really starts with the defensive line, and that I can see as a two-part failure. I believe we lack talent on the exterior of our d-line, and in addition to that I don't see us scheming enough blitzes and making it difficult for the other team to block us. This falls on Hervey and Stubler, as well as Claybrooks.

On offense, our offensive line has been horrendous. Brett Boyko clearly is not a starting offensive lineman in the CFL. This was clear before he even played a down in this league, but for some reason the Lions penciled him in for a starting tackle spot and that experiment failed miserably. I do think he's a prospect who can possibly develop, but to throw him into that important role right away when he has barely played in years is unfair to him and sets him up to fail.

The rest of our O-line has also been awful, and seemingly everyone has regressed from last year. It's funny, this entire board (seemingly) loved to crap all over Dan Dorazio despite his players openly stating they love him as a coach, and a year after he leaves our O-line gets a lot worse than we've seen in a very long time. I'm not saying he was great, because the results speak for themselves, but maybe the issue had more to do with the talent we have than anything? Again, the trend on here seems to be heavily skewed towards blaming the coaches for everything and letting the players off the hook. That's just as wrong as blaming the players for everything and acting like the coaches have zero to do with the outcomes.

Our receivers are not good enough. I'm a big Duron Carter fan, but he's not having any kind of impact here this season. He is not a problem with any off-field antics, he just hasn't been good enough on the field. Lemar Durant had some big games earlier in the season, but has gone quiet since. He's someone who I see as a solid number 3 option and I believe he was breaking out that way. Burnham doesn't have the speed to be the top guy on a team. His stats are still very good, but he's not a Geroy Simon, or even prime Manny Arceneaux. I see him as a great number 2 option on a Grey Cup contender, or at most someone who can be a 1B on a team with another elite receiver. That was supposed to be Duron Carter, but we haven't seen any gamebreaking ability out of him. Maybe that's how the plays for him have been schemed. Or maybe he just isn't getting himself open. At the same time though, your WR's will struggle if your QB can't get them the ball, and the QB can't get them the ball if he's constantly being sacked which falls on the O-line.

Finally, we've seen the team struggle in the second half of every game. To me, that's symptomatic of an inexperienced coaching staff that isn't able to make the right adjustments at half time. Other teams are making adjustments and coming out miles ahead. We aren't. Claybrooks saying he didn't take Reilly out in past games because Reilly didn't want to come out is also an example of inexperience. A coach has to lead the team. He also has to understand that no player is going to say he wants to come out of a game, but the coach has to tell the player what is going to happen. Last night he replaced Reilly, so to me that shows some growth. But this team is going to be put to the test the remainder of the season, so we're going to need to see a lot more growth if Claybrooks is going to come back next year.
Roar you Lions roar!
David
Team Captain

When we are getting spanked at home as has been our practice this year, everything just looks worse in monochrome orange.

Seeing our linemen continually getting beaten in orange pants is just...soul-destroying. :sigh:

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Blitz
Team Captain

The_Pauser wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:28 am
WestCoastJoe wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:46 pm
KnowItAll wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:41 pm

You don't have any business making those kind of assumptions or insinuations.

Maybe it is just your frustration with the game, team, coaches ,etc that is making you do that?
Of course I have business making those judgments. Not frustrated. Disgusted more like it.

Tire fire, Man. Reilly deserves his share of the blame, imo. It is his team. He was given the keys to the car. Hervey. Claybrooks. Jackson. Stubler. Reilly. All deserve blame for the tire fire.
So it's Reilly's fault the defense is awful? It's Reilly's fault the offensive line doesn't block? I saw a stat a couple weeks ago that showed Reilly has been getting the ball out in 2.5 seconds so it's not like he's holding on to the ball too long.

I get being frustrated, but blaming Reilly is wrong.
Why is it wrong for WCJ to blame Reilly. Same offensive scheme as last season, same protection issues, Burnham and Shaq are back and Durant is a good receiver. You blamed Jennings last year. What is different for Reilly this season than it was for Jennings (or Lulay) last season?

By the way, I don't blame Reilly for the most part either, just as I didn't blame Lulay or Jennings last season.

There is an appearance that you are being inconsistent or hypocritical. Why does one quarterback who gets hit and sacked a lot or has some struggles with Jarious offence become accused of 'deer in the headlights syndrome' and one doesn't? Reilly has a worse quarterback efficiency this season than Lulay or Jennings had last season.

When things go wrong, it can snowball. The issues are the same this season as last, except they seem even worse right now. We can't protect the quarterback, the receivers are having difficulty getting open, there are not enough hot reads, are run game is vanilla and inconsistent, our offence is predictable, etc. etc.

The source is the scheme and the play calling. Its not the only issue but its the elephant in the room. A different schmee, a diversified run game, some pro sets, the removal of most of our RPO plays, the reintroduction of pre-snap plays, with run blocking for run plays and pass blocking for pass plays, play design that factors in a blitz with hot reads and movign the pocket and this offence could start to take hold and then blossom.

But no matter who is playing quarterback, running back, receiver, or offensive line, we are going to stuggle with Jarious scheme and play calling. That should be more than obvious by now. Its obvious to the TSN panel, made up of two Grey Cup champion quarterbacks, its obvious to Milt Steggal, and its obvious to knowledgable fans.

Only our Leos brain trust is not 'getting it' no matter which quarterback or running back or offensive lineman or offensive receiver is thrown under the bus (as were Jennings, Lulay, Jeremiah Johnson, and Chris Rainey last year) it aint gonna change things. Our offensive scheme under Jarious badly sucks.

It may not be the only problem but its where we have to start. Its like a car that is designed badly. No matter what you do afterwards, the thing is a lemon.

Jarious has created an offence with a 'lemon' design and he wants us to drink the lemonade. Its worse that Kool Aid. I ain't drinking it.
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)
korey&dante4ever
Champion

korey&dante4ever wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:41 am
If Hervey tries to patch things up by trading away future draft picks for American talent then I’m officially out as a fan of this team.
LOL it took all of a few hours for this to come true.
I’m out!
It’s some spectacle! Can’t find americans? No big deal, we’ll trade draft equity and prospects for them!
-Believes in building from the trenches outwards. A great O-Line and D-Line guarantees an above average team.
-A coach that has to give a motivational pregame speech is probably a coach that is insecure about his game plan.
The_Pauser
Legend

Blitz wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:05 pm

Why is it wrong for WCJ to blame Reilly. Same offensive scheme as last season, same protection issues, Burnham and Shaq are back and Durant is a good receiver. You blamed Jennings last year. What is different for Reilly this season than it was for Jennings (or Lulay) last season?

By the way, I don't blame Reilly for the most part either, just as I didn't blame Lulay or Jennings last season.

There is an appearance that you are being inconsistent or hypocritical. Why does one quarterback who gets hit and sacked a lot or has some struggles with Jarious offence become accused of 'deer in the headlights syndrome' and one doesn't? Reilly has a worse quarterback efficiency this season than Lulay or Jennings had last season.

When things go wrong, it can snowball. The issues are the same this season as last, except they seem even worse right now. We can't protect the quarterback, the receivers are having difficulty getting open, there are not enough hot reads, are run game is vanilla and inconsistent, our offence is predictable, etc. etc.

The source is the scheme and the play calling. Its not the only issue but its the elephant in the room. A different schmee, a diversified run game, some pro sets, the removal of most of our RPO plays, the reintroduction of pre-snap plays, with run blocking for run plays and pass blocking for pass plays, play design that factors in a blitz with hot reads and movign the pocket and this offence could start to take hold and then blossom.

But no matter who is playing quarterback, running back, receiver, or offensive line, we are going to stuggle with Jarious scheme and play calling. That should be more than obvious by now. Its obvious to the TSN panel, made up of two Grey Cup champion quarterbacks, its obvious to Milt Steggal, and its obvious to knowledgable fans.

Only our Leos brain trust is not 'getting it' no matter which quarterback or running back or offensive lineman or offensive receiver is thrown under the bus (as were Jennings, Lulay, Jeremiah Johnson, and Chris Rainey last year) it aint gonna change things. Our offensive scheme under Jarious badly sucks.

It may not be the only problem but its where we have to start. Its like a car that is designed badly. No matter what you do afterwards, the thing is a lemon.

Jarious has created an offence with a 'lemon' design and he wants us to drink the lemonade. Its worse that Kool Aid. I ain't drinking it.
Because what has Reilly done that is a detriment to the team?

Jennings wasn't a good QB even when he had time. Like I said last year, he never looked comfortable, and he made plenty of poor decisions. I think his play in Ottawa this year has certainly proven Ed Hervey (and myself) right. However, the problems are not mutually exclusive. Jennings could be a bad QB who is also being hurt by a bad system.

What has Reilly done to be called out as being a problem with the team? Saying "he doesn't want to be pulled" doesn't cut it and is one of the more ridiculous statements I've read. And saying "he only wants to throw deep" is also factually inaccurate.

Your statement about how we are going to struggle with Jarious's offense is also the reason why the blame shouldn't be put on Reilly. He's a great QB who has proven himself as a great QB. That isn't going to change overnight.
Roar you Lions roar!
DanoT
Hall of Famer
Location: Victoria, B.C. in summer, Sun Peaks Resort in winter

korey&dante4ever wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:07 pm
korey&dante4ever wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:41 am
If Hervey tries to patch things up by trading away future draft picks for American talent then I’m officially out as a fan of this team.
LOL it took all of a few hours for this to come true.
I’m out!
It’s some spectacle! Can’t find americans? No big deal, we’ll trade draft equity and prospects for them!
Has there been a trade, got a link?
David
Team Captain

Meh, this isn't a high-cost transaction, certainly not a reason to abandon ship (although I can't blame you for being frustrated, korey&dante4ever). We get their fifth next year and give up a fourth. What's the price of a fourth? Who knows, but generally not an impact player. Now if Ed starts dangling 1st and 2nds in GMs faces, then I'll have a problem.

I'd be interested to know who the neg list player is though.

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
pennw
Legend

B.C.FAN wrote:
Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:17 pm
Defensive linemen get pushed around in the running game and are easily swallowed up on the pass rush. Claudell Louis was benched this week at nose tackle. Junior Luke gave it what he had but he is not a nose tackle. He and Davon Coleman can't hold their gaps and the linebackers can't close fast enough.

Rich Stubler says he doesn't want players to react instinctively and "see ball, get ball." So instead of flying to the ball they're reading their keys and trying to play within the system. It's not working. DBs and linebackers sit back in their zones and wait for the play to come to them. The result is that Cody Fajardo completed 21 of 26 passes (80.6%) and picked up first downs whenever needed, which wasn't that often with the effectiveness of the Rider running game.
Claudell Louis was a very good DT last year , whose addition made the whole DL better. Davon Coleman was a great DT last year , who we made a trade to get (no he did not come from the EE) .He was very good the season before with Hamilton too . Now both are no good? Claudell demoted to the practise roster? Made scapegoat ? I would bet both would look great again playing for another team Like so many ex -lions . I bet they both would look good playing for Mark Washington in Hamilton or in Winnipeg along side Craig Roh .
Sure we let go of some good players and I didn't agree with that , but Solly for instance hardly played last season . Herdman-Reed was our middle line backer last season . Some others like newcomer Aron Grymes were all stars before before coming here (who cares if he came from EE) .

Our OC gets rightly criticized , but for some reason our DC is the new Teflon man , beyond criticism on this board other than by a few who dare go against the grain. Our HC and DC both have said that the players just need to work with in the new system and results will soon follow . Well the results are terrible . Regression , no instinct , no aggression . You are right BCFan in pointing out Rich Stubler , few are willing to do that . Like a common theme in the Dorazio years of OL regressing , so have formerly good DL regressed under Stubler .

Hiring Stubler was the greatest mistake the Team made for this season . Our OC will probably be gone next season , just hoping the same can be said for Stubler . This guy has compltely destroyed our Defense . Maybe a change could be made sooner and Claybrooks could take on the DC role sooner . A great defense can keep a team in a game , that will never happen with Stubler here . No matter who they bring in , new players will regress just like Claudell and Coleman under Stubler , like Dorazio used to do with OL .

The rest of the coaching staff is young with upside , they will get better with experience . Not so with Stubler he's not going to get better . He has peaked . Long ago . The CFL has changed since he was any good.

The other day Hamilton lost their starting QB early in the game against the top team in the CFL , yet their Defense under a supposedly inferior DC , Mark Washington , won the game for them . Many on this board also claimed Khari Jones was no good when he was here , but he has seemingly , so far , turned the corner for the Als .
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

The trade of draft picks and prospects is basically a wash so I don't mind it but something doesn't add up. Calgary's offensive line has been almost as bad as as B.C.'s this year, giving up 3.2 sacks per game, second only to B.C.'s 3.6 sacks per game. I don't know anything about Renfrow but he was on the Stamps' practice roster and couldn't even make it on the roster as a backup. Can we really expect him to be an upgrade?
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

I have no problem with anyone faulting Reilly's play of late. It is assuming that his motives are all selfish that I take issue with. Character assignation if you will. There is nothing he has said or done that gives any credence to such assumptions.
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
WestCoastJoe
Hall of Famer

KnowItAll wrote:
Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:18 pm
I have no problem with anyone faulting Reilly's play of late. It is assuming that his motives are all selfish that I take issue with. Character assignation if you will. There is nothing he has said or done that gives any credence to such assumptions.
My Gawd. I should have left Saint Michael alone. LOL

Of course he wants to throw for 5,000 yards. Or course he wants to justify his big contract. Of course he likes throwing long. It seems to me he does not like throwing short passes anywhere on the field.

Was I frustrated as a fan? I said I was disgusted by the team's play. And as the game started it was a head shaker to see him get hit on the first two gawd dayum plays. Any responsibility for him? I think so.

Yes, I think he undermined his Head Coach by not wanting to come out of the game. Was that selfish? Was it good for the team? Did it not put his health at risk? Did it prevent any opportunity for the backup to get needed game reps?

He is not a Saint, but he is a very good man, and he has been a very good QB. And he has, imo, had some influence that has been counterproductive. He has very, very significant input into the game plan. He must be getting game plans he is in agreement with. There is a heavy emphasis on long passes. He obviously likes those. In a few of our games, the run game has been non-existent. He seems to want to drop back, stay in the pocket, look deep, and throw long. We need game plans that help our vulnerable offensive tackles.

Please note all the good things I have said about him in various threads.

I will desist criticizing the sainted Mike Reilly for the time being. Maybe our game plans, with his influence, will change to help our helpless O Line. Maybe Mike will look more to his outlets, to hot routes. Maybe we will actually include hot routes to a greater extent than we see on the field. Maybe we will run the ball more.

Character assassination? My Gawd. LOL I have had much praise for him, which is what he deserves, as well as some criticism. As I have said, no one is more willing to pay the physical price than him. He gives his all. He leaves it all on the field.

Does he favour the run game enough.? Not imo. Does he favour dump off passes to a running back enough? Not imo. Let us not forget that he has a very significant influence on the game plans. He must be satisfied with those plans. Does he favour short routes? It does not seem like it to this fan. Does he favour screen passes, draw plays, tight end sets, et cetera? It does not seem like it.

Character? Most definitely not in question. He has influence on the game plans and the offensive philosophy. He can make audibles. He can choose options. He seems to overly favour long passes imo. He is a sitting duck in the pocket in our offensive scheme. I expect he is sitting with Jarious Jackson when the game plan is drawn up. He should be in that role.

People are greatly upset that I criticized Mike Reilly for what I see as his share of responsibility for the team's poor performances. We will see if he modifies his approach to playing the game. This fan wishes he would see that he is more valuable to the team if he can stay healthy.

He is the team leader. Our record is 1 and 6. Our offence continues to make no effective adaptations to provide pass protection for the QB. Perhaps we should be a short pass team, dink and dunk, run the ball, 10 play drives, to help out the O Line. Blitzing? Throw to where the blitzers vacate the field.

On play 1 he was hit. On play 2 he was sacked. Was Mike responsible for any of that? Game plan? No hot route? No run? No dump off? Just get hit on the first two offensive plays. No special plays to pound the defensive line? Blame Jarious? Of course. No blame for Mike?

Just imo. Mike Reilly, as wonderful a guy in the community as one will see, does have his share of responsibility for the team's woes.

On another thread, I suggested those sharing responsibility for the team's results.

#1 Ed Hervey

#2 Jarious Jackson

#3 DeVone Claybrooks

#3 Rich Stubler

#5 Mike Reilly. He is the QB. And he is more than the QB with this franchise. He is the leader of the team. He has a very, very high status within the team, rightfully so. And he bears his share of the responsibility for our team's record.

There is no QB that I can see out there that could make this team successful, as it stands now. Maybe the very mobile and creative Doug Flutie, in his day, but probably not. Lulay and Jennings struggled mightily last year. And they have had success in this league.

Character assassination? Oh my gawd. Please do not criticize the sainted Mike Reilly. I have always liked him as a player and as a person. I think his preferences in how to play the game are part of this year's problems.

Did my criticism of him amount to throwing him under the bus? I do not think so. He is our quarterback. He can be a very, very good quarterback.

I will try not to answer any further defences of MIke Reilly, that involve this fan. I have said my bit. I like Mike Reilly as a person and as a player. I might just say "no further comment" on this issue.

Just imo.
John Madden's Team Policies: Be on time. Pay attention. Play like hell on game day.

Jimmy Johnson's Game Keys: Protect the ball. Make plays.

Walter Payton's Advice to Kids: Play hard. Play fair. Have fun.
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

Duron Carter made an interesting point on social media last week in response to criticism about a lack of hot routes. He said if it's "hat on hat" (enough blockers to pick up all pass rushers) the offence does not call for hot routes. Most if not all of the Riders' sacks on Saturday occurred with five-man pressure against five-man protection, or six-man pressure against six-man protection. It's been the same for most of the season. The O-line is just getting beaten man on man or fooled by stunts and twists. The O-line, O-line coach and running backs deserve most of the criticism for the sacks, not the quarterback or receivers.
Blitz
Team Captain

Rob Vabnstone of the Regina Leader-Post doesn't pull any punches in his article on Saturdays game between our Leos and the Riders,

He discusses how the injury ravaged Riders offensive line dominated (while not respecting) our defensive line as the Riders employ "Next Man Up' while our Leos will soon go to Next Man Overboard again, as we did during 2018.

Vanstone had predicted a Leos victory on Saturday and was surprised our Leos did not 'have a semblance of a clue' as Reilly and Company were only able to get 7 (count 'em - 7) first downs in the ENTIRE GAME.

Obviously Mike Reilly is struggling even more with Jarious offensive scheme than did Lulay or Jennings last season. Its mostly been miserable on offence so far in 2019. Its also been miserable on defense too. In fact its been a miserable first 3rd of the season and that is putting things mildly. Its truly been a disaster.

I don't know if Ed was smoking some Compton 'stash' during the off-season or what but he definitely got it wrong.

I feel sorry for Davone Claybrooks. He was probably told that Jennings and Lulay weren't too bright and also didn't watch enough tape but once Mike Reilly got behind center, well then, the true incredible brilliance of Jarious Jackson and his RPO/West Coast/Spread hybrid scheme would be known by all.

Rob Vanstone: Only My Prediction Was lLess Accurate than Mike Reilly

The Saskatchewan Roughriders dominated both lines of scrimmage Saturday while defeating the host B.C. Lions 45-18.

Rob Vanstone, Regina Leader-Post

It is debatable who should be more embarrassed — the feckless B.C. Lions or this grizzled gargoyle of the media.

You read it here first: The Lions would “roar” and win by four on Saturday against the visiting Saskatchewan Roughriders.Make the final: Roughriders 45, Lions 18.

My previous column was headlined “Riders can expect a different Lions team.”That much was absolutely correct.

The Lions were, as promised, a different team.

They were far, far worse than the outfit that lost 38-25 at Mosaic Stadium on July 20.Although the Roughriders led that CFL game 38-19 at one point, B.C. did hold a 19-18 lead in the third quarter.

There was a pulse.

On Saturday, there wasn’t even a semblance of a clue.

The home team was a disgrace at BC Place.

B.C.’s net offence was a paltry 68 yards. The average yards per play: 1.8. (Football truly is a game of inches.)The Lions began the game,
such as it was, with their first of eight two-and-outs, (compiled over 12 possessions) and managed just 38 plays from scrimmage.

Lions quarterback Mike Reilly continued to be a pinata — the pounding he routinely absorbs is the only notable Mexican influence during the CFL 2.0 era — behind the living, breathing turnstiles who populate the Lions’ offensive line.

The Lions (1-6) were also brutalized when Saskatchewan (3-3) had the football. The front four was merely a rumour as, for the second successive game, B.C. failed to register a sack.

B.C. was a sieve against the run, allowing William Powell to rush for 146 yards.Powell became the first Roughrider to rush for three touchdowns in a game since … wait for it … drumroll, please … Will Ford, who accomplished that feat July 26, 2014 in a 37-9 victory over the Toronto Argonauts on Taylor Field.

Saskatchewan demonstrated such disrespect for the Lions’ Cellophane defensive line on Saturday that second-down running plays were called — and well-executed — with six, eight and 10 yards to go.

On the latter play, Powell rushed for a 42-yard touchdown. After handoffs on second-and-six and second-and-eight, the Roughriders were left in third-and-short situations.

Considerable credit must be dispensed to the Roughriders’ offensive line, which manhandled the foe. (Special kudos to centre Dan Clark, who was a powerhouse in his 100th career CFL game.)It mattered not that Saskatchewan’s offensive line has been ravaged by injuries this season. Unlike the lost Lions, the Roughriders are able to adapt.

Saskatchewan’s philosophy: Next man up.

In B.C., the mindset might soon be “next man overboard.”

The Lions were especially hapless along the line of scrimmage when Powell accessed a massive hole — thanks to especially robust blocking from Clark, guard Dakoda Shepley and tackle Thaddeus Coleman — and scored an eight-yard touchdown.

Clark started off by helping to eliminate Lions defensive lineman Junior Luke before bulldozing linebacker Maleki Harris into the end zone.
A week earlier, the Lions had not been as pliable. They held Powell to 47 yards on 11 carries on July 20. On Sunday, he boasted 88 yards along the ground by halftime.

As well, Powell made a key block on a blitzing Chris Edwards to buy time for Cody Fajardo to launch a 22-yard touchdown pass to Kyran Moore.

The Lions were effective in one respect on Saturday. For a change, they were able to control defensive end Charleston Hughes, whose name did not appear on the statistical ledger one week after he piled up 10 defensive tackles, three sacks, two tackles for a loss and two forced fumbles.

So, with Hughes rendered inconspicuous for one of the few times this season, the Roughriders nonetheless exerted consistent pressure.
Solomon Elimimian, Zack Evans, Makana Henry and Oluwaseun Idowu sacked Reilly, who was pressured three times by Cameron Judge.

The pressure packages presented by defensive co-ordinator Jason Shivers kept the listless Lions off-balance for much of the night.
Shivers rushed with more than four men two-thirds of the time, often using Elimimian on delayed blitzes, and the Lions never knew what was coming.

Except for another defeat, that is.

Once all the garbage time had been exhausted — along with any realistic chance of B.C. making the playoffs — the final stats showed that the Lions had eked out seven first downs.

Yes, seven.

Reilly, he of the $725,000 salary, completed just eight of 19 passes for 66 yards. The accuracy rate: 42.1 per cent (or 42.1 per cent better than the aforementioned, er, column).

The impressive Fajardo, by contrast, was 21-for-26 for 169 yards, with one TD and nary an interception.

Fajardo, who also rushed seven times for 46 yards, didn’t do anything spectacular. He did, however, continue to establish that he is the Roughriders’ best bet at quarterback.

Even if the concussed Zach Collaros is medically cleared to return to action at some point, there isn’t any reason for him to displace Fajardo.
Fajardo has been more impressive in just five starts than Collaros was in 14 last season.

Consider Fajardo’s quarterback-efficiency ratings (listed chronologically) as a starter: 132.0, 145.9, 21.3, 106.8, 109.3.Collaros broke 100 only twice last season, peaking at 109.3. He was in the 90s three times (99.0, 97.8, 96.4) and was below 40 on three occasions (39.4, 29.6, 8.4).
With seven touchdown passes, Fajardo is only two shy of Collaros’ total for all of 2018.

Fajardo’s mobility, moxie and leadership qualities should also make him the uncontested choice to pilot the Roughriders’ offence, which has been productive in four of the five games he has started since Collaros was sidelined in the season opener.

Tougher tests await — such as Thursday’s home-field clash with the 5-1 Hamilton Tiger-Cats — but Fajardo has already shown more than enough for the Roughriders to be able to close the book on the Collaros chapter.

B.C., for its part, can close the book on its 2019 season. For the 11 obligatory games that remain, the Lions will snore.

rvanstone@postmedia.com
"When I went to Catholic high school in Philadelphia, we just had one coach for football and basketball. He took all of us who turned out and had us run through a forest. The ones who ran into the trees were on the football team". (George Raveling)