Empire Stadium Replay Screen

The Place for BC Lion Discussion. A forum for Lions fans to talk and chat about our team.
Discussion, News, Information and Speculation regarding the BC Lions and the CFL.
Prowl, Growl and Roar!

Moderator: Team Captains

Ballistic Bob
Legend

Not to be a Debbie Downer but that intersection Cassiar and Hastings took an Auxiliary policeman's life while on traffic duty. Ill say late 70s or early 80s. It could of been for a Lion game or just PNE traffic. Thnx BB
Wear orange or wear nothing
David
Team Captain

B.C.FAN wrote:We also used to park (for free) on the east side of Cassiar near Sir John Franklin Elementary and walk down the hill. I don't remember ever worrying about traffic at uncontrolled intersections on Cassiar, even though it was the direct link between the Valley and the North Shore. I remember the houses well beside the stadium. They were later bulldozed to build the Cassiar Connector.

For a few years I also used the charter buses that brought fans from downtown and regional shopping centres and lined up along Hastings Street to take them home. Traffic, transit and parking were a lot simpler in those days.

The seats around the track were in place for many years and were used for Grey Cups and occasional big games. I never sat there and wouldn't want to. Your view would be blocked by the team benches and the high crown on the field.
Thanks for uploading this high res B&W pic. Yes, hard to believe one could just walk across Cassiar in those days! However, if you look closely at the south side of Cassiar, there appears to be a pretty heavy line-up of cars. I thought there was a McDonald's on East Hastings back then, but I don't see the "Golden Arches" in this photo (in those days, two arches were positioned over top of the restaurant). It either came later, or was further east up the hill. I think underneath the "Panasonic" sign on the north side of Hastings was A&B Sound. Across the street (south side) looks to be something called "Disco Centre." Was this a tire shop? They owned a big parking lot, whatever it was.

1970 was a remarkable year for the club at the gate. Despite (yet another) disappointing record at 6-10, the Leos were a smash-hit at the box office, averaging 30,966, which was an average of 4,484 over the 1969 campaign and a whopping 7,613 per game over the 1970 CFL average! 4 of their 8 games were sellouts, including a remarkable 35,563 that packed Empire Stadium on a rainy Thursday night against Ottawa (must be have been due to the PNE being on?). This was the game (a thrilling 32-30 BC win) that then CFL Commissioner Jake Gaudaur used to help sell the live TV package of 7 CFL games in the US in '71. "That Ottawa-BC game was as exciting as any I remember in football," he said, "The ball was in the air almost all night and the execution was excellent."

DH :cool:
Roar, You Lions, Roar
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Much enjoyed that aerial vantage point (the high res B&W pic) -- and the fascinating details one can zero-in on. If I'm not mistaken I believe I see human figures lined up (sitting?) along the front edge of the stadium's west side grandstand roof-top. Seeing that brought back to mind another related old B&W pic of Empire Stadium, (can't exactly recall anymore how I stumbled upon it, years ago). I just now attempted to offer the url via attachment but I got an "invalid filename" message. Anyhow, it captures the CBC TV film crew (close-up) atop the very same west side grandstand roof-top. Looks to be about 1960 maybe. Talk about the "upper deck"! (Exhilarating, but leaves me feeling kinda' queasy.) Cheers. Here's the typed-out url for anyone that's interested, since the other method did not work for me.
http://vancouverisawesome.com/wp-conten ... -field.jpg
btw, one memory leads to another, and reading you guys' memories about attending Empire in the former decades -- I recall in the Leos' last couple years there circa 1980--82 (I think) getting in for free to sit in the North end-zone by simply presenting the top strip of a Nalley's Potato-chip bag. I generally found I didn't even really need to purchase a bag of chips but just pick up one from among all the litter folks would toss coming and going from the fairgrounds! Perhaps I unknowingly sat beside some of you Linebackers there! Sipping beer out of my thermos, pleased to be there, so close to the action, and so affordably. Cheers.
zeppo
Starter

Gridiron Ernie wrote:Much enjoyed that aerial vantage point (the high res B&W pic) -- and the fascinating details one can zero-in on. If I'm not mistaken I believe I see human figures lined up (sitting?) along the front edge of the stadium's west side grandstand roof-top. Seeing that brought back to mind another related old B&W pic of Empire Stadium, (can't exactly recall anymore how I stumbled upon it, years ago). I just now attempted to offer the url via attachment but I got an "invalid filename" message. Anyhow, it captures the CBC TV film crew (close-up) atop the very same west side grandstand roof-top. Looks to be about 1960 maybe. Talk about the "upper deck"! (Exhilarating, but leaves me feeling kinda' queasy.) Cheers. Here's the typed-out url for anyone that's interested, since the other method did not work for me.
Wow! As Bob Uecker said, "Great seats eh?"
Note the old fashioned goal posts.
KnowItAll
Hall of Famer

zeppo wrote:
Gridiron Ernie wrote:Much enjoyed that aerial vantage point (the high res B&W pic) -- and the fascinating details one can zero-in on. If I'm not mistaken I believe I see human figures lined up (sitting?) along the front edge of the stadium's west side grandstand roof-top. Seeing that brought back to mind another related old B&W pic of Empire Stadium, (can't exactly recall anymore how I stumbled upon it, years ago). I just now attempted to offer the url via attachment but I got an "invalid filename" message. Anyhow, it captures the CBC TV film crew (close-up) atop the very same west side grandstand roof-top. Looks to be about 1960 maybe. Talk about the "upper deck"! (Exhilarating, but leaves me feeling kinda' queasy.) Cheers. Here's the typed-out url for anyone that's interested, since the other method did not work for me.
Wow! As Bob Uecker said, "Great seats eh?"
Note the old fashioned goal posts.
and not a high rise in sight
Every day that passes is one you can't get back
Gridiron Ernie
Champion

Good eye, zeppo! (spotting the old H-shaped goalposts). I got curious and did some digging... Turns out Coach Jim Trimble (Hamilton/Montreal in the 1960s) invented the new Y-shaped -- or alternately called "goose-neck" or "slingshot" goalposts in 1966. And they were first used in professional football for the 1966 Grey Cup Game here at Empire Stadium. Interestingly, there's apparently pictorial evidence that they weren't immediately universally installed in all CFL stadiums that year though, but in fairly short order. Also interesting -- the very next year (1967) they were adopted by the NFL. Mr. Trimble was American and a former coach of the Philadelphia Eagles before coming up north. He and a Montreal friend co-invented the goalpost and shared the patent. Sorry, I'm going by memory and can't recall the other fellow's name. Anyhow, your eye-for-detail (thanks again, zeppo) helps to narrow the window of possibility regards the date of these pics. The one I provided featuring the roof-top film crew has to be 1965 or earlier, and the other wonderful one must be 1966 I suppose (unless Empire hosted yet another later 60s Grey Cup.) But correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks.
Robbie
Hall of Famer

B.C.FAN wrote:Here's a high-resolution B&W aerial pic from the City of Vancouver archives showing the replay screen clearly between plays. Click on the image to enlarge it. I can't quite make out whether a replay is being shown but the Player's ad isn't.
Empire Stadium
Thanks for posting this. The game in the picture took place on September 13, 1970 against Winnipeg Blue Bombers. The Lions won the game 16-13 to give them a decent record of 5-3. But unfortunately that win caused the team to go into a downward spiral as they lost 7 of the last 8 remaining games for a bad 6-10 record, with the single win also against the Blue Bombers on October 21, 1970 with a very low 7-1 score.
Dusty wrote:and I note that the Player's ad has moved across the street to the Cassiar and Hastings corner.....
Well, that billboard the southwest corner of Cassiar and Hastings is definitely not the same one that covered the replay screen a few years later.
B.C.FAN wrote:We also used to park (for free) on the east side of Cassiar near Sir John Franklin Elementary and walk down the hill.
And I would assume that nearby home owners ask money from drivers to park in their private driveway, which is what is still done during the PNE fair and possibly when there are home Giants games and maybe when the Lions and Whitecaps at Empire Fields.
B.C.FAN wrote:I remember the houses well beside the stadium. They were later bulldozed to build the Cassiar Connector.
Living right beside busy Cassiar St was so noisy even at night. With the construction of the Cassiar Connector it's relatively quiet now.
David wrote:I thought there was a McDonald's on East Hastings back then, but I don't see the "Golden Arches" in this photo (in those days, two arches were positioned over top of the restaurant). It either came later, or was further east up the hill.
The McDonald's is definitely on the SE corner of Cassiar and Hastings, and it must have built after 1970 as the building that can be seen doesn't appear to be a McDonald's. And the McDonald's that currently exists at that location is definitely different than the original one which was actually much bigger and contained a large indoor playground which is different than the current one.
David wrote:I think underneath the "Panasonic" sign on the north side of Hastings was A&B Sound. Across the street (south side) looks to be something called "Disco Centre." Was this a tire shop? They owned a big parking lot, whatever it was.
Yeah, most if not all of the businesses in that area have all changed. There used to be a Bino's where that Panasonic store is. In this thread when the Lions returned to Empire Fields we discussed our memories of that intersection: http://lionbackers.com/bc_lions/viewtop ... =2&t=17944
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
David
Team Captain

Some additional info on the replay screen courtesy of the October 1970 edition of the "Canadian Football News" magazine that I found in drawer.

"Newest addition to Vancouver's Empire Stadium is an inside-the-park instant replay screen. The screen, 15 by 20 feet, is part of a larger installation - 22 by 50 feet that includes a new scoreboard.

The screen is so designed that it will pick up the same replay the game telecast is providing TV fans. The key to the success of the project is controlled lighting, according to an official of the company that designed the $120,000 setup.

Advertising plays a big part in the project. When the screen isn't showing replays, it will carry ads. The company has also designed a four-sided 10 by 10-foot screen for use in hockey arenas. It will be possible to suspend the screen above time clocks located at centre ice in many arenas.

The instant replay hockey screen involves the use of mirrors and split screen techniques. Fans on one side of the rink have to see the opposite of what fans see on the other side. Mirrors make this possible. Hockey is more suited to the setup because of the speed of the game and the controlled lighting in arenas."

Roar, You Lions, Roar
B.C.FAN
Team Captain

David wrote:The screen is so designed that it will pick up the same replay the game telecast is providing TV fans. The key to the success of the project is controlled lighting, according to an official of the company that designed the $120,000 setup.

Advertising plays a big part in the project. When the screen isn't showing replays, it will carry ads.
Yes, that's how I recall it. The screen would show ads (Player's is the only one I recall) except when a replay was being shown to the TV audience. Even the original B.C. Place replay screen didn't show live game action for many years. This was all innovative technology at the time.
David
Team Captain

One begins to understand why 1970 saw such a spike in attendance. Attendance for 10 home games that year was 296,043 - or 29,604 which includes the 2 pre-season games, which was (at the time) the 3rd highest in the club's 17 year history (take away the 2 preseason games and they averaged 30,966!). Remember, despite the lack of competition for the entertainment dollar back then, a lot of games were played on Tuesday and Thursday nights with an 8:00pm start time!

I believe that despite a less than stellar record (6-10, although they were 5-3 at the half-way point, losing some close games down the stretch and the tragic death of DB Ernie Pitts during a bye) all of the renovations to Empire Stadium contributed to the spike.

According to a 1970 season ending press release that I own in my collection, the club saw a $970,000 renovation at Empire (a lot of dough in those days!), including Canada's first artificial turf. The 3M Tartan Turf cost $900,000, and they put another $70,000 in construction for modern spacious coaching offices with locker space and shower, a large team room for meetings, previewing game films and a post game meeting place for players and wives. The Leos also created the first name plate jerseys that year, and a shoe bank for visiting teams (to play on the 'mod sod' as it was affectionately called back then). Ironically, no word in the press release on the replay screen, but an innovation like that contributed to a positive game experience for fans.

Roar, You Lions, Roar
BC 1988
Legend

David wrote:According to a 1970 season ending press release that I own in my collection, the club saw a $970,000 renovation at Empire (a lot of dough in those days!), including Canada's first artificial turf. The 3M Tartan Turf cost $900,000, and they put another $70,000 in construction for modern spacious coaching offices with locker space and shower, a large team room for meetings, previewing game films and a post game meeting place for players and wives. The Leos also created the first name plate jerseys that year, and a shoe bank for visiting teams (to play on the 'mod sod' as it was affectionately called back then). Ironically, no word in the press release on the replay screen, but an innovation like that contributed to a positive game experience for fans.

Thanks for the info about Empire's history.
The timing of the 1970 renos was no doubt also linked to hosting of the 1971 Grey Cup.
I remember watching it on TV and all the complaints the next day in the Toronto Star--headline was "Mod Sod Not Theismann's Cup of Tea". (Of course had the Argos won, there wouldn't have been any mention of that.) Rewatching this brought back memories (video quality is sketchy, the field level camera views are better than the distance shots.):

The installation of Tartan Turf there was one of the first for the new product, trying to cut into AstroTurf's dominance. 3M threw in the towel a few years later. Interesting article at about the same time period
http://archives.chicagotribune.com/1970 ... adium-turf
BC 1988
Legend

After finishing watching that upload of the '71 GC, I saw a decent view of the subject of this thread at 1:24:27. The report from the CGY sideline shows in the background the left side in use with the scoreboard, and the right side with the diagonal Players ad (no use of it for replays).
The two halftime parachutists at centre field at 1:03:02 were interesting as well (popping up behind Russ Jackson).
It's too bad the tape ran out before the end and the uploader had to splice in a highlight reel to show the ending.
Qman
Champion

Great look at empire mid-60s. lots of unique stadium shots

1966 Grey Cup game in colour

Robbie
Hall of Famer

Finally, the best picture ever of the Empire Stadium Replay screen as it's in colour and it's also an extreme closeup. :cool: :rockin: :thup:

The bottom picture shows the Empire Stadium scoreboard and replay screen in 1986 when the Lions had long left the stadium and the scoreboard and screen became obsolete (save occasional high school or college games).

The middle picture was from the 1970's at a concert, and you can see the scoreboard and replay screen in the background.

And then the top picture shows a view from the other side of the scoreboard on E. Hastings St in 1987. The picture is also a great one as it's in colour and it may bring back memories of those who drove or walked around E. Hastings in the late 1980's. For those of you drove on E. Hastings St near Cassiar St in the late 1980's, you may remember a huge sign petitioning to save Empire Stadium.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
祝加拿大加式足球聯賽不列颠哥伦比亚卑詩雄獅隊今年贏格雷杯冠軍。此外祝溫哥華加人隊贏總統獎座·卡雲斯·甘保杯·史丹利盃。還每年祝溫哥華白頭浪隊贏美國足球大联盟杯。不要忘記每年祝溫哥華巨人贏西部冰球聯盟冠軍。
改建後的卑詩體育館於二十十一年九月三十日重新對外開放,首場體育活動為同日舉行的加拿大足球聯賽賽事,由主場的卑詩雄獅隊以三十三比二十四擊敗愛民頓愛斯基摩人隊。
祝你龍年行大運。
恭喜西雅图海鹰直到第四十八屆超級盃最終四十三比八大勝曾拿下兩次超級盃冠軍的丹佛野馬拿下隊史第一個超級盃冠軍。
David
Team Captain

Here is a really clear shot of the modern replay-scoreboard installed in 1970. This is a screen grab from the 1971 Grey Cup in which it is showing sponsor "Players" cigarettes. Not sure if it was used for that game or not.

Roar, You Lions, Roar